Which photo is sharper PLEASE HLP

eerrm.. where's the focus point?

You may refer to the review of 70-300mm ED VR by Thom Hogan below. According to him, this lens usable at 300mm, but this is where this lens' performance is at its weakest in almost every respect.

http://www.bythom.com/70300vrlens.htm

Dear friend,
I am here to bet for help and I suppose you can rather to tell me something that doesn't help, I have tried my best to present.

I can't see the different and that why asking for help and opinion, if I will do take a P&S vs DSLR, and just do like you say then why am I taking so much trouble to pose it here requesting for help.

If you don't feel like helping newbies then please be silent rather to say something that not helpful. (Sorry to said that)

No hard feelings. I'm sorry if my comments are harsh, just stating what I observe. :)

I'm not pro in any way and to me, A does look sharper like what others say.

Answer Astracool
Well, 70-300 is quite a "standard" focal range. I'm sure Sony makes a lens of that range as well. I notice that for the D90's shot it was 1/1000s shutter speed, whilst on the Sony it was 1/1250. Any reason for this discrepancy?
Also, ISO speed not stated for the shot taken by Sony.

The shutter speed that I av overlooked, thanks for the highlight
By the way A55 is also at ISO 1600

Thanks

Photo A seems slightly sharper to me.

But honestly speaking, both look sharp enough at web sizes and the difference is small enough to be negligible. Besides, many other factors like focal point, aperture, technique etc, will affect sharpness.

What is interesting to me is the different colours produced by both brands, the Sony looks better to me. Of course, this is irrelevant if you shoot RAW, or bother to tweak the JPG output on the Nikon.

May I ask why you want to make this comparison?

Answer Astracool
Well, 70-300 is quite a "standard" focal range. I'm sure Sony makes a lens of that range as well. I notice that for the D90's shot it was 1/1000s shutter speed, whilst on the Sony it was 1/1250. Any reason for this discrepancy?
Also, ISO speed not stated for the shot taken by Sony.

The shutter speed that I av overlooked, thanks for the highlight
By the way A55 is also at ISO 1600

Thanks

Could be differences in the metering used by both cameras. The ISO setting will also vary from what is stated on the camera.

A is sharper. B colors look more realistic. A's tone seems to be more on the warm side. Both sets in awb?

Photo A seems slightly sharper to me.

But honestly speaking, both look sharp enough at web sizes and the difference is small enough to be negligible. Besides, many other factors like focal point, aperture, technique etc, will affect sharpness.

What is interesting to me is the different colours produced by both brands, the Sony looks better to me. Of course, this is irrelevant if you shoot RAW, or bother to tweak the JPG output on the Nikon.

May I ask why you want to make this comparison?

Hi elgkh
THANKS. I am making this comparison cos I have short listed these two NIK & ALP but need others help (like your goodself) to comment and then I decide which to buy, as such I hv borrow it from two friends for a test B4 my final decision.

Thanks

A is sharper. B colors look more realistic. A's tone seems to be more on the warm side. Both sets in awb?

Thanks chocnoodles for yr help,
Both cam using manual mode and WB are set to cloudy for today.

Hi elgkh
THANKS. I am making this comparison cos I have short listed these two NIK & ALP but need others help (like your goodself) to comment and then I decide which to buy, as such I hv borrow it from two friends for a test B4 my final decision.

Thanks

In my opinion, this is not a good comparison to decide which camera body to buy. Sharpness is very much dependent on the lens. what are your consideration when choosing between both camera?

Glad that elgkh raised this question. :)

Thanks chocnoodles for yr help,
Both cam using manual mode and WB are set to cloudy for today.

Ok. in that case I will get the nikon. The difference in sharpness is negligible as both are considered sharp enough by my standards. The nikon colors looks more realistic if you shoot jpg. Otherwise in raw, it doens't really matter.

The yellow color of the crane and the green safety cross looks like what I would see with a naked eye.

Although im a canon user, looking at the number of thread in this forum, you can't go wrong with nikon. If you are the kind who upgrade, do consider the market share of each brand as it will affect the resale value in the future...unless you are the kind who like collecting lens/bodies. :bsmilie:

First of all, thanks so much.
I can't shoot both at 300mm cos the 500mm is fix lens (Mirror Reflex), both cameras are loan to me for a day as I have not decide which to buy and that the reason for me to seek advise.

Thanks again

Just my thoughts, the differences in sharpness is hardly worth pursuing here. They are far too similar. Go look at the other differences between the two cameras. There are plenty. For one, know what type of photography you like, the possible lens combination as well as the controls and user-friendliness of the camera.

If the above is not what you are looking for then as many have mentioned. A is sharper. But seriously se little point in stating that. Good luck.

Har? So in the end "which photo is sharper" was simply "should I buy Sony or Nikon?" hidden in disguise?

Darn...

Photo A has more contrast colours. I don't think sharpness is a concern here, because both is sharp. Both photos are in focused (I used the crane as a comparison since the human subjects are in different positions). I do not want to flame anyone, just saying my honest opinion. If you want to do a sharpness test, try to keep it at 100% crop and the subject you can help us to focus on. That will do help for yourself and other forumers to make a proper comparison and better judgment.

Last edited:
Just some points to add, do not just focus on sharpness, there are other factors which makes a camera a good camera if you weld it well. Features like AF speed, dynamic range, high ISO performance, body built-in vibration reduction, remote trigger of off-shoe flash via onboard flash (CLS), etc :)

IMO I'm going to call photo B as the sharper setup, you magnified B to match A so of course some details will be lost. Secondly A is darker so some details will appear sharper.

@MRSAMO
Thanks so much that you understood what I had done to B.

Ok. in that case I will get the nikon. The difference in sharpness is negligible as both are considered sharp enough by my standards. The nikon colors looks more realistic if you shoot jpg. Otherwise in raw, it doens't really matter.

The yellow color of the crane and the green safety cross looks like what I would see with a naked eye.

Although im a canon user, looking at the number of thread in this forum, you can't go wrong with nikon. If you are the kind who upgrade, do consider the market share of each brand as it will affect the resale value in the future...unless you are the kind who like collecting lens/bodies. :bsmilie:

@ chocnoodles
Thankyou so much for your straight forward answer.
NIKON.
Thanks I noted.

Photo A has more contrast colours. I don't think sharpness is a concern here, because both is sharp. Both photos are in focused (I used the crane as a comparison since the human subjects are in different positions). I do not want to flame anyone, just saying my honest opinion. If you want to do a sharpness test, try to keep it at 100% crop and the subject you can help us to focus on. That will do help for yourself and other forumers to make a proper comparison and better judgment.

Dear wmayeo,
Fist thanks for your comment, may I know what do you mean by " keep it at 100% crop", how can I do that or how to acheive that.

Thanks as I don't quite understanding 100% crop, do you means that I have to say focus at a wording on the crane then crop only the word out to compare instead of looking at the whole photo to comment?

Thanks and your advise is greatly appreciated.