Which lens to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allicsirp

Dec 28, 2008
Singapore, Brisbane
hey guys!

I just bought Canon 450D body. So, i was wondering which lens is good for taking people, objects and some sceneries? Budget of 500SGD!

Thanks heaps!:)

You didn't get the kit lens with the 450D? If not, what lens did you get? I'm hoping you don't say "I only got the body and don't have any lens" ;)

55-250mm IS. Its a good start.

You didn't get the kit lens with the 450D? If not, what lens did you get? I'm hoping you don't say "I only got the body and don't have any lens" ;)

oh no! im going to say wad you dont wish to hear. i got the body and NO lens! :(

i have not gotten any lens at the moment, which is why i posted this thread? i need some advice on which lens to buy!

$350-ish for first hand. A bit narrow for landscape shots but suitable for portraits and long range objects.

55-250mm IS. Its a good start.

On a cropped sensor? Not a good idea IMHO. Kit lens, that's why it is usually bundled as starter kit. With 55-250 you can't even take a simple portrait at home ... unless you take the portraits of your neighbours :bsmilie::devil:

I just bought Canon 450D body. So, i was wondering which lens is good for taking people, objects and some sceneries? Budget of 500SGD!

Either you get the kit lens (Canon EF-S 18-55) or you have a look at Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Both cover the range that is most suitable for beginners. Everything else below (Ultra Wide Angle) or above (telephoto) you should only consider once you know the basics and you are sure that you need this range. Go slowly with further purchases.
Alternatively you can also rent lenses if you just want to try for a weekend.
Prices: Check the Canon section, there is a Lens Price Guide as sticky thread.
Rental: Check the section "Services Offered".

On a cropped sensor? Not a good idea IMHO. Kit lens, that's why it is usually bundled as starter kit. With 55-250 you can't even take a simple portrait at home ... unless you take the portraits of your neighbours :bsmilie::devil:
actually is possible to take self portrait at home if willing to take steps.

the 55-250mm is ideal if user dont intend to get too close to the subject which is normal for any beginner. If he already has a PnS camera then more or less acceptable close range wide angle is covered.

idea is to see which kind of pictures is more often taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.