Which Jpeg combination to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foents

Dec 24, 2005
Hi
Just got my D200 and 18-200VR lens after selling off my D70.
My 1GB card seems very small now after switching from a 6.1mp camera to a 10mp D200.

My question is this.. as I mainly take photos in jpeg (too lazy to process raw),
which combination of jpeg is actually better?
ie jpeg fine and image medium or jpeg normal and image large
Both seem to be about 200 shots on a 1GB card.....

Will be looking at getting a 2 or 4GB card in the future...

Thanks....

JPEG Fine is good, at a compression ratio of 1:4, it would be better than the Normal (1:8) and Basic (1:16).

I had a friend who commented to me that he can't tell the difference between Normal/Basic, so Basic's fine for him.

Like myself I can't tell the difference, but to obtain the best image, I would prefer RAW.

Even my 2 Gb card also seems small, suggest you go for a 4Gb card. :devil:
And yes RAW is good especially if you have the Nikon Capture, possibilities can be expended.

espn said:
JPEG Fine is good, at a compression ratio of 1:4, it would be better than the Normal (1:8) and Basic (1:16).

I had a friend who commented to me that he can't tell the difference between Normal/Basic, so Basic's fine for him.

Like myself I can't tell the difference, but to obtain the best image, I would prefer RAW.
can u tell the diff between between fine/normal? :)

vincenthau said:
I remember you told me you own coolpix 4600, can take RAW meh??
CoolPix 5700 can, I sold it off liao, my CoolPix 4600 also sold off liao.

Now using my sisters CoolPix S4, so no choice, shoot JPEG.

His Coolpix S4 customised with changeable lens mount, HSCM, func buttom...etc etc... :bsmilie:

I personally will choose jpeg normal and image large over jpeg fine and image medium.
my rational is you can resize large (normal) into medium image and give a good print, but you can't really get good image by resize medium (fine) to large image (interpolation) for large print.
I also believe large (normal) image size hold more detail than medium (fine) image, just zoom in the image and you can tell the differences.
Please correct me if I am wrong though. :sweat:

TMC said:
His Coolpix S4 customised with changeable lens mount, HSCM, func buttom...etc etc... :bsmilie:
Kaoz... what kind of CoolPix S4 is that??? :bigeyes:

zcf said:
I personally will choose jpeg normal and image large over jpeg fine and image medium.
my rational is you can resize large (normal) into medium image and give a good print, but you can't really get good image by resize medium (fine) to large image (interpolation) for large print.
I also believe large (normal) image size hold more detail than medium (fine) image, just zoom in the image and you can tell the differences.
Please correct me if I am wrong though. :sweat:
Bascially, all boils down to in-camera compression ratios :)

Large, Medium, Small is the file resolution so you are half-right that larger means more details.

Fine, Normal, Basic is the compression ratio for the files in the camera, resulting in image lossliness etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.