Which debit card should I apply for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
boroangel said:
AMEX is what bank

american express. it's their own, not tied to any bank i think. but i realise it's more of a credit card, oops :embrass:

wat about the UOB visa electron card? but that one is Plus only i think, not cirrus/maestro

regards,
inf1d3l

If you've got an UOB account, and you're a student, get a Campus Card. I use it online, I use it in HK, Tw, China. All works fine. No charge, and the card looks good. Like the black cards of a few banks.
My POSB one gave me problems overseas too, so I cancelled it when they wanted me to start paying subscription fees. Haven't tried the new Go! card though.

heard that lady's card if very good, the white rose very chio leh...

Campus card is good, got free cheque, higher interest rates. DBS-NUS card have nothing much at all, i canceled mine long ago when they start charging me.

if i need to use card, usually i'll use uob card as i have points, can exchange for vouchers or items

recently there's not much freebies given at the road shows :(

boroangel said:
Anyone got use a debit card in Australia to withdraw money and pay for things like car rental and accomodation? Tot first hand experience is best.

Yes it works.....used a POSBank Master Debit in Aussie b4. Shldn't have any problems. Charge to the card and pay onli the bank's exchange rate. Don't withdraw money, u get charged extra for withdrawing.

Btw, not many places in Aussie take Amex. No point. 2 yrs there i used my Amex less than 5 times onli.

they will charge u a fee when u withdraw from overseas
UOB/POSB charges a $5 fee for any withdrawal.
OCBC is 5%, max $20.

I went with UOB and withdraw the max amount everytime I need $.
I think if U sign, no extra charge.

Warau I am so confused haha....so I just go to POSB and say I want a debit card with Plus and cirrus then can liao? Dont think I will withdraw too much money....more like use it to pay for accom and car rental in Australia thats all. So does POSB charge you subscription fees? If UOB dont have then I can actually go for it as I think I still eligible for campus card. OCBC also can.

boroangel IS a guy!

OT: boroangel, how is your relationship? Going to Australia with her too? ;)

Yes I am a guy...think I should change my nick liao always get mistaken haha. Going with Aunt, Uncle, 2 cousins and parents and bro whos already there now. She cant confirm now cos she is working soon. Wants to tag along but I think her job is more important, later work 2 months only want to take 5 days leave....doesnt look too good. Then again hope somehow she can manage to come along.

Thanks for asking;)

I dun its your nick. Its your avatar. boroangel? Why angel BTW? Boro=Middlesboro FC rite? :bsmilie: Borodevil? :devil:

boroangel said:
I currently only have a POSB account and I intend to apply for a debit card, which will be useful especially whe I am going overseas in July and I need to make bookings for tickets or accom online.

Are there restrictions to debit cards? Cos I hear some have daily withdrawal limits and some cant be used overseas?

UOB debit card is free for life, still can get UOB mini debit as well. :bsmilie:

Venom81 said:
UOB debit card is free for life, still can get UOB mini debit as well. :bsmilie:
The Italians were so amazed of the mini card when we used it to buy stuffs..

Hahaha..

AReality said:
The Italians were so amazed of the mini card when we used it to buy stuffs..

Hahaha..

Wa... thats gd. But my debit mini is always in my cupboard. :bsmilie:

Just applied for the POSB Go card and the DBS capitalland platinum cardd.....dunno if they gt other cards anot.

love my posb card..

my friends give me an odd look because its bright orange... but i dont care about the fact its not "platinum" coloured....

never had any problems paying... it doubles up as a nets/ atm card... and best of all, i dont get any bills or heart attacks at the end of the month.

boroangel said:
Warau I am so confused haha....so I just go to POSB and say I want a debit card with Plus and cirrus then can liao? Dont think I will withdraw too much money....more like use it to pay for accom and car rental in Australia thats all. So does POSB charge you subscription fees? If UOB dont have then I can actually go for it as I think I still eligible for campus card. OCBC also can.
You might really wanna get your campus card quick before you become non eligible. It's free for life, but you can only apply for it when you're a student.
My experience with using the UOB card overseas is that I'm not charged any extra $$, and it's direct conversion of currency without any surcharges. Withdrawal from overseas ATM cost me SGD$5 i think, regardless of amt.. End up I find things cheaper if i charged to my UOB debit card than if i changed $$ and paid for them with hard cash..
Yesh POSB still charge subscription fees. Except for the Go! card I heard.

Its unlikely that you can find any card with BOTH PLUS and CIRRUS - all the cards I have either have one or the other.

boroangel said:

Status
Not open for further replies.