Which brand/model to recommend?

virtualme78

Jul 21, 2010
Singapore
www.capturealifestudio.com
Hey guys,

I've just stepped into this whole digital photography world just 5 months ago by purchasing my 50D. Prior to that, having gone thru photography classes during school and of course, PnS cams. I am thinking of getting a micro 4/3 so I can bring it out on a daily basis, practise photography every now and then so i can improve. I'm still in the midst of researching and deciding which one to buy so as of when i'm going to stab my wallet is still unconfirmed. Having read all the reviews on the net have gotten me even more unsure of what to buy. There are pros and cons between brands and models so i figure it will be better to get opinions from people who are already owners of the micro 4/3s.

Ok...so what am i shooting? I'd say candid shots, street, people, sometimes food, pretty much those. Budget, 1k or so... So guys, please throw me which model/brand, etc, you think is good and why... thanks

Hey guys,

I've just stepped into this whole digital photography world just 5 months ago by purchasing my 50D. Prior to that, having gone thru photography classes during school and of course, PnS cams. I am thinking of getting a micro 4/3 so I can bring it out on a daily basis, practise photography every now and then so i can improve. I'm still in the midst of researching and deciding which one to buy so as of when i'm going to stab my wallet is still unconfirmed. Having read all the reviews on the net have gotten me even more unsure of what to buy. There are pros and cons between brands and models so i figure it will be better to get opinions from people who are already owners of the micro 4/3s.

Ok...so what am i shooting? I'd say candid shots, street, people, sometimes food, pretty much those. Budget, 1k or so... So guys, please throw me which model/brand, etc, you think is good and why... thanks

Only cams that fit your budget are the E-P1 (not sure if still available but can try) and E-PL1, been discussed quite a number of times,why do I think is good may not be the same as yours,have a look at review sites and decide if they are good FOR YOU, that is what is most important

Best way to do this is to walk down the street to a camera store you have never been, and buy the first micro 4/3 camera you see.

Otherwise, all cameras have their pros and cons. And you will start a flame war here (at least with me around) as I slam all Panasonic cameras except the new G2.

Making things simple,

If video is important in your camera, buy Panasonic.

If stills are your thing, and video is a "can have, can don't have", then go Olympus.

Panasonic lenses are pretty much better than Olympus offering (only in the micro 4/3 platform), but if you use lens adapters, the Zuiko Digital lenses (regular 4/3 lens) are going to blow you away.

If you like pink, then go Panasonic.

If you like black, they are available on both brands.

If you like killer EVF, then E-P2 and E-PL1 is the way to go.

For native micro 4/3 set up, buy an Olympus camera, and Panasonic lens...

But it is going to cost you... but then again, there is always the buy and sell section.

As i have mentioned... i've already gone thru most reviews on the net... they only made deciding more impossible for me... I'd prefer some personal point of views from the owners of their micro 4/3s.

Let's take the budget off the list of deciding factors.. throw me some of your personal comments guys.

What exactly are you looking for then?

PEN series have built in IS, which means you can use any compatible lens and still have Image Stabilization. That alone is gold.

PEN series still produces better colors off camera. But if you want to learn about photography and post processing, maybe Panasonic is the better way... tougher to get nicer images off camera (I am going to get flamed for this).

Some say high ISO function is better on the Panasonic. I have to agree. I like noise, so Olympus it is. Panasonic is too clean. I don't like skin turning silicone.

Panasonic has got better lenses, only Olympus' 9-18mm and 17mm are the better ones on the micro 4/3 platform. Panasonic owns Olympus in this area. I highly recommend the 14-140mm Panny lens if this is the one lens you want to get.

E-PL1 is plasticky, so if you are a person who get bothered by "feel", then maybe you want to forget that model.

For me, the PEN E-P2 is the best overall camera. I like how the colors look, layout of the buttons and how the images off camera looks even with direct camera-to-printer print outs. But the Panasonic G2 seems to have improved on the color quality with Venus II engine. But Truepic engine still renders blue better.

I think I have confused you again.

If you look into this section of the forums, you can see image samples side by side as done by headfonz.

If you are looking at user friendliness, (GUI test), the only solution is to join the group at the next kopi session and borrow someone's camera and play with it and see which one is more intuitive. Nothing is more important than intuitive because no one likes going back to the manual to seek a particular function.

Two cameras I would recommend :

Olympus E-P2 with 17mm lens.
Panasonic G2 with whatever kit lens they are throwing in as a bundle.

Woah,you beat me to it,hahahah,We're going to shoot in Little India, not sure when you, I could loan you my E-P1 if you want, there should be a Panasonic cam somewhere I hope,hahahha

I think TS is looking for assurances on M4/3 before he spend his money on it rather than wanting to get 1.

I think you have to think hard on why you want to have a 2nd camera, especially m4/3 camera, is it because of getting a backup camera? or you want something smaller? If its other reason, then i suggest you sell your 50D, use that extra money to get a 7D, since you have the lenses. :)

Last edited:
I think TS did mentioned that he wants something he could carry always to ehance his photography skills more...

He didn't mentioned he will be jumping and replacing his current gear/setup so I am guessing he needs someting that would compliment his current gear.

with these in mind I would suggest getting EP1/2 or GF1 these are small easy to carry and coming from DSLR the TS wont get some much culture shock with EPL1 PnS like controls...

I would suggest Olympus EP1 or EP2 for the body, for the lens 14-150? + 20mm?

Last edited:
How about any new or used m4/3rd body with the 20mm F1.7 or 17mm F2.8. It will force you to work on your composition for sure.

Yep... i'm looking at something that i can bring out and shoot on a daily basis..

micro.. thanks for all that input... with what you have mentioned, i think i'm steering more towards E-P2... but are there any AF issues on it (slow, non-responsive, etc). Even though i mentioned budget aside, but i have to come back to it again. What is the price difference between E-P2 and G2?

virtualme78,

I do not have a m4/3. My opinions are:

1. G2 is still a "big" camera compared to the PEN or GF1.

2. If you really want to practice, stick with the kit lens or 17/2.8. Use either of this lens can force you to think how to compose and shoot.

3. White/silver is less of a "killer" factor when doing street shots compared to black. Black means serious while white and silver mean toy/kiddie.

4. Buy the EPL-1 kit and dun come back to the forum until you shoot 50 award winning pictures. By then you are my sifu :)

virtualme78,

I do not have a m4/3. My opinions are:

1. G2 is still a "big" camera compared to the PEN or GF1.

2. If you really want to practice, stick with the kit lens or 17/2.8. Use either of this lens can force you to think how to compose and shoot.

3. White/silver is less of a "killer" factor when doing street shots compared to black. Black means serious while white and silver mean toy/kiddie.

4. Buy the EPL-1 kit and dun come back to the forum until you shoot 50 award winning pictures. By then you are my sifu :)

1. erm... i understand where you are coming from... i'm more inclined to getting ep2 and i know g2 is sorta like a dslr in size. That is reason 1 why i'm not considering it.

2. i'm shooting with my 35mm f/2 and with the nature of my job and not owning a car... i dun think i wanna lug camera bag around on a daily basis.

3. I believe EP2 comes in black and i dun think with the color of the camera comes great skills or pictures. There are pple who shot great pictures with "toy/kiddie" PnS camera, no?

4. EPL-1 or EP2, i'm looking to get personal experience from pple who are owners or ex-owners of any micro 4/3s. So what you are saying is I shouldnt come to this forum unless I get 50 award-winning pictures? Do you have 50 award winning pictures? I thought we are here to learn, exchange pointers and information. "Newbies GTFO" syndrome here?

Finally, if you haven't read this thread hard enough, read before you reply. If you comment on something, make sure its constructive otherwise, at least have something solid to support what you post.. if not, you're posting trash and i'm ignoring it. READ, I'M ASKING FOR PERSONAL VIEWS ON MICRO 4/3 FROM PEOPLE WHO OWN THEM.

Last edited:
1. erm... i understand where you are coming from... i'm more inclined to getting ep2 and i know g2 is sorta like a dslr in size. That is reason 1 why i'm not considering it.

2. i'm shooting with my 35mm f/2 and with the nature of my job and not owning a car... i dun think i wanna lug camera bag around on a daily basis.

3. I believe EP2 comes in black and i dun think with the color of the camera comes great skills or pictures. There are pple who shot great pictures with "toy/kiddie" PnS camera, no?

4. EPL-1 or EP2, i'm looking to get personal experience from pple who are owners or ex-owners of any micro 4/3s. So what you are saying is I shouldnt come to this forum unless I get 50 award-winning pictures? Do you have 50 award winning pictures? I thought we are here to learn, exchange pointers and information. "Newbies GTFO" syndrome here?

Finally, if you haven't read this thread hard enough, read before you reply. If you comment on something, make sure its constructive otherwise, at least have something solid to support what you post.. if not, you're posting trash and i'm ignoring it. READ, I'M ASKING FOR PERSONAL VIEWS ON MICRO 4/3 FROM PEOPLE WHO OWN THEM.

Hi, i dun think theITguy mean bad intention, you will find the 43/m43 forum is a nice and warm forum (if u stay long enough). If we not here to help/learn, there would be no forum eh? i'm also a newbie too compared to many others:)
any how, this is my experience/opinion.
current setup e-pl1
used to own e-p1, e-620. e-p1 sold because i started playing manual lens, it tough to MF with the lcd on bright day. e-pl1 is ok to put evf. why not e-p2? too expensive and i feel the e-pl1 plastic feel is fine. the only limitation it had was 1/2000 max shutter vs 1/4000 on e-p2, then this not big problem unless u use fast primes on bright day. can still use and ND to get ard, just a bit more troublesome. why not gf1? i like oly colours & it can use all my oly dslr lens, albeit some are slow in AF.
why sold e-620? coz i dun use it as much as pen, i bring it to work everyday now, sometimes with 17mm, sometimes with manual lens. ;p

u should try 3 pens & gf1 yourself, coz u may not like what i like.

Yep... i'm looking at something that i can bring out and shoot on a daily basis..

micro.. thanks for all that input... with what you have mentioned, i think i'm steering more towards E-P2... but are there any AF issues on it (slow, non-responsive, etc). Even though i mentioned budget aside, but i have to come back to it again. What is the price difference between E-P2 and G2?

It is interesting as a debate, and most likely opening another can of worms for flaming, because almost everyone knows I hate the colors of Panasonic, and thanks to the 25mm f1.4 lens, I hate Panasonic build. I am sure they have improved, but it is not easy to overcome my Panaphobia. I find it hard to trust them anymore.

But the same goes for the finishing for the Pen, according to forums around the world. So the wisest thing to do is to buy the silver E-P2. The black for some reason is badly finished. So you have been warned. But to me, the silver color and PEN form factor is what that gives it the classic look.

On G2, the only merit I can give it after using it are :

• Feels good in the hand, but that rubber coating makes me nervous.
  • Produces best color that Panasonic has ever produce, but still lacking when compared to Olympus.
  • Have the best micro 4/3 lenses as mentioned.
  • Panny's GUI design is better than Olympus in some ways.
  • That is why I am getting it for my wife. I am still not touching it. If I want a DSLR, I have a DSLR. The PEN is magic. Just magic.
G2 with the 14-140mm lens (which I highly recommend) is going to be almost double the price of E-P2.

And you, being a Canon user, talking about AF is like telling Hamilton that the Golf GTI is a fast car. You get what I mean?

No matter how "fast" CDAF is at the moment, you are not going to see a sports photographer banging his career on it. Granted, Panasonic is faster, but that is because they cheat by reducing the samples needed to get an AF lock. But heck, whatever Panny did, they did it quite well. When it comes to m4/3 if you have not noticed, it brings all of us back to the days of manual focusing photography and this means many are buying Leicas, Zeiss, Voits, and the beautifully crafted manual lenses. And the reward is great images. If you want to "re-learn" photography and enjoy it differently from DSLR, well, I never have a PEN more than 5 metres away from me since the first E-P1 was launched. Didn't like the E-PL1 because of the plastic, and now the "peeling" E-P2 is my companion.

But the only difference is, I have the 14-54mm f2.8 zoom permanently stuck to the E-P2. Lovely glass. Allowing me to switch between AF and MF... I still like using the PEN in MF mode better.

CDAF has a lot to catch up with PDAF in terms of speed. Between the Gees and Pen, the difference ain't that much. It will never be a PDAF camera with fine AF points. So go manual. You will relearn photography. And you will want good old manual focusing lenses.

That said, the best thing for you is to meet up with the folks here, and "book" some of the guys to show you their set up, but I have to warn you, touching a Leica is highly dangerous. It caused me to lose sleep for a week. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi, i dun think theITguy mean bad intention, you will find the 43/m43 forum is a nice and warm forum (if u stay long enough). If we not here to help/learn, there would be no forum eh? i'm also a newbie too compared to many others:)
any how, this is my experience/opinion.
current setup e-pl1
used to own e-p1, e-620. e-p1 sold because i started playing manual lens, it tough to MF with the lcd on bright day. e-pl1 is ok to put evf. why not e-p2? too expensive and i feel the e-pl1 plastic feel is fine. the only limitation it had was 1/2000 max shutter vs 1/4000 on e-p2, then this not big problem unless u use fast primes on bright day. can still use and ND to get ard, just a bit more troublesome. why not gf1? i like oly colours & it can use all my oly dslr lens, albeit some are slow in AF.
why sold e-620? coz i dun use it as much as pen, i bring it to work everyday now, sometimes with 17mm, sometimes with manual lens. ;p

u should try 3 pens & gf1 yourself, coz u may not like what i like.

Yea.... maybe he didn't mean bad... its the last line that actually annoys. I guess need to lay my hands on these to feel and try them before I know what's the real thing like.

It is interesting as a debate, and most likely opening another can of worms for flaming, because almost everyone knows I hate the colors of Panasonic, and thanks to the 25mm f1.4 lens, I hate Panasonic build. I am sure they have improved, but it is not easy to overcome my Panaphobia. I find it hard to trust them anymore.

But the same goes for the finishing for the Pen, according to forums around the world. So the wisest thing to do is to buy the silver E-P2. The black for some reason is badly finished. So you have been warned. But to me, the silver color and PEN form factor is what that gives it the classic look.

On G2, the only merit I can give it after using it are :

• Feels good in the hand, but that rubber coating makes me nervous.
  • Produces best color that Panasonic has ever produce, but still lacking when compared to Olympus.
  • Have the best micro 4/3 lenses as mentioned.
  • Panny's GUI design is better than Olympus in some ways.
  • That is why I am getting it for my wife. I am still not touching it. If I want a DSLR, I have a DSLR. The PEN is magic. Just magic.
G2 with the 14-140mm lens (which I highly recommend) is going to be almost double the price of E-P2.

And you, being a Canon user, talking about AF is like telling Hamilton that the Golf GTI is a fast car. You get what I mean?

No matter how "fast" CDAF is at the moment, you are not going to see a sports photographer banging his career on it. Granted, Panasonic is faster, but that is because they cheat by reducing the samples needed to get an AF lock. But heck, whatever Panny did, they did it quite well. When it comes to m4/3 if you have not noticed, it brings all of us back to the days of manual focusing photography and this means many are buying Leicas, Zeiss, Voits, and the beautifully crafted manual lenses. And the reward is great images. If you want to "re-learn" photography and enjoy it differently from DSLR, well, I never have a PEN more than 5 metres away from me since the first E-P1 was launched. Didn't like the E-PL1 because of the plastic, and now the "peeling" E-P2 is my companion.

But the only difference is, I have the 14-54mm f2.8 zoom permanently stuck to the E-P2. Lovely glass. Allowing me to switch between AF and MF... I still like using the PEN in MF mode better.

CDAF has a lot to catch up with PDAF in terms of speed. Between the Gees and Pen, the difference ain't that much. It will never be a PDAF camera with fine AF points. So go manual. You will relearn photography. And you will want good old manual focusing lenses.

That said, the best thing for you is to meet up with the folks here, and "book" some of the guys to show you their set up, but I have to warn you, touching a Leica is highly dangerous. It caused me to lose sleep for a week. :bsmilie:

micro... thanks for all your input... in fact all these information kinda bring me another step closer to getting a EP2 then again like you said, I should try them out to know how its like. Haha... Leica indeed is dangerous... and very poisonous...

EPL-1 or EP2, i'm looking to get personal experience from pple who are owners or ex-owners of any micro 4/3s. So what you are saying is I shouldnt come to this forum unless I get 50 award-winning pictures? Do you have 50 award winning pictures? I thought we are here to learn, exchange pointers and information. "Newbies GTFO" syndrome here?

theITguy is trying to be cheeky, but I think it backfired. LOL. I know this fella, a lovely fella, just that he woke up on the other side of bed today. Really, he did not mean any harm.

Take a look at the E5 speculation thread, and anyone will know this community is the tightest, friendliest around. And full of shit. LOL. So put your mind at ease... this is really a community... but sometimes people wake up on the wrong side of the bed. Like theITguy... ha ha ha ha... should give him a smack, but he is lucky I am not in Singapore...

To sum it all up, my recommendation for you is :

E-P2 with VF-2 and 17mm pancake lens.
Go shopping for manual focusing lenses and buy their adaptors.
Start from here and work up from there.

Manual functionality and controls on the E-P2 will be great to help re-think photography all over again. The PEN made me fall in love with photography once more. The pancake set up is amazing. The feel, the joy of using it. Granted the Panasonic pancake is faster at f1.7 but who have ever made 40mm standard??? Its neither a 35mm or 50mm... just someone at Panny trying to be clever. But it might work for you, so borrow one and play with it. It did not work for me.

The G series are DSLR type bodies which will not work for you.
The GF series is due for an upgrade so you don't want to put money into a GF1 knowing that it is going to be replaced soon. And the GF1 colors, ermm... I have to stop pissing off GF1 owners.

So in your case, just go for the E-P2.

Otherwise, use your 50D.

Hey guys,

hi virtualme
im using a 7d and a epl1
i used 7d on my weekends while my epl1 is always on my bag whenever i go office
i can recommend you the epl1 first because of its weight and i love the scn and art filters it have.
ive used it for street using the grainy effect or sometimes i set it in raw then just pp it once i came home.and because of its size i seldom get attention from my object hehe
though i havent try in on macro shooting, but on landscape i'm pretty impressed with it.
heres some samples of my shots with my oly pen

http://duffydufs.multiply.com/photos/album/59/Olympus_Pen

one last thing though i still havent abused it like the way i abused my 7d(hehehehe) i still keepin it

E-PL1 + 20mm. 'nuff said

:)

TS,
Are you using more LCD to focus and compose your photo?
GF1, LCD resolution is the higher.
But if u are using EVF, OLY's Pen EVF is the best. G1, GH1, G2's EVF is also the great. But not G10's EVF just incase. G10's EVf resolution is the same is GF1.

IS is built in on pens. But as u are a canon user, I believe you can live without body IS just like me. But there are people who think IS is a must.

Personally I uses GF1 and enjoyed it more than my canon system. If what u mentioned, the m4/3 can actually replace your 50D unless u are taking sports and event.