What's wrong with using cloth tape instead of gaffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to work with all these tapes all the time. If it's just going to be a few days. The cheap cloth ones shouldn't cause any problems. Most of the time, the glue is so lousy, it hardly bonds tightly anyway. However, if you intend to leave the tape on for weeks or months. You better get the good ones.

The glue on the cheap ones will melt. It's not that easy to remove. Rubbing it off is not an option. Even if you manage to rub it off. The area is very likely to be tarnished by the glue. I don't think there is an easy, spotless method to remove the glue.

Ladies and gentlemen, if there's one advice I could offer, gaffer tape would be IT. The rest of the advice is based on my long and miserable experience...

Do not use the cloth tape, thinking that it is the same as gaffer. Years before, there was no ClubSnap forum so information sharing was not easy. I didn't know the difference between gaffer and cloth tape, so I bought the latter thinking that it was gaffer. I stick it on my equipment such as camera and tripod, and it served its purpose very well. But a couple of years later, when I tried to replace some peeling tapes, I had a NASTY SHOCK. The tape simply refuse to come off, and when it did (after much force), any rubber surface will come off completely, and it left glue residues that were impossible to remove (totally rock hard by then).

Use gaffer... or nothing at all... :cry:

Neo said:
Do not use the cloth tape, thinking that it is the same as gaffer. But a couple of years later, when I tried to replace some peeling tapes, I had a NASTY SHOCK. :

Couple of years? :what: So Gaffer will still stick very strong but ok to remove?

Just gotta remember to change once every few months. Anyway, i use my equipment pretty often.

Status
Not open for further replies.