What kind of DSLR should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low budget, DSLR.
Get a second hand 450D with kit lens (18-55mm f3.5-f5.6) is good enough, dont have to spend too much.

Not to destroy any high hopes... but focusing with AF lenses is rather a painful thing, unless you invest in lenses with USM focusing motor (which will stretch your budget even more). If you want to explore manual focusing I'd recommend a fully manual lens, e.g. Carl Zeiss lenses. There are older Contax CZ lenses that require only an adapter. No need to get the newer Zeiss lenses with Canon mount.
But maybe you focus on the basics first, like exposure and composition. Let the camera do the focusing, it's fast and reliable. And for camwhoring it's a must :bsmilie:

hey, interesting that you should mention that. I was just griping about MFing and AF lens to a friend and he told me to go check out Voigtlander lenses. Are they that much easier to focus, and if so, why?

hey, interesting that you should mention that. I was just griping about MFing and AF lens to a friend and he told me to go check out Voigtlander lenses. Are they that much easier to focus, and if so, why?

They are designed for manual focus, so they tend to be very smooth when focusing, very well damped.

They have a much better focus ring because they were made to be manual focus lenses. Manual focus lenses have a much better focus ring that rotates quite a distance from infinity to closest focus. Most AF lenses do not have focus rings designed for manual focusing, and the focus shifts very fast when you move the focus ring a little, making it frustrating to achieve accurate manual focusing. This is especially so for the cheap lenses like the kit lens. The more expensive AF lenses, especially the ones that support full time manual focusing, will have a better focus ring as compared to other AF lenses, but they are still not as good as the manual focus lenses.

Rashkae said:
The NEX is small, but it has a full-size DSLR sensor, and very very very handy magnification when manual focusing.

Quite honestly, you want to buy a 600D for the "features" when for less money you can get a DSLR camera with even more features. If you want to camwhore, are you going to use the very very very slow focusing in live view on the 600D? You want to spend 1-2 minutes just focusing for 1 shot?

You really should research a bit more.

U mean the older series? I think I'd stick to Canon.

Nope, the new series too. I'm talking about the 600D specifically. What specific feature does it have that you are willing to spend extra $$$ on?

Ah well, in the end it's your money. If you want to pay more and get less (no fast AF in liveview, no fast AF in video, no built-in image stabilization), that's up to you.

If you have a really strong reason, by all means go ahead. It's your money and so it's entirely your choice what you buy with it. People here are just encouraging you to have a more open mind to consider other options, that's all :)

Seriously, don't get a DSLR to camwhore...

Cos most likely your arm, wrist and hand will be aching when you're whore-ing halfway...

Seriously, don't get a DSLR to camwhore...

Cos most likely your arm, wrist and hand will be aching when you're whore-ing halfway...

oh and. depending on what lenses you use, holding it at arm's length to take a shot of yourself, your cam might not be able to focus properly due to minimum focal length.

if that's what you want to do...go for the samsung with the dual LCDs or any Sony with that self-portrait timer thing

Rashkae said:
Nope, the new series too. I'm talking about the 600D specifically. What specific feature does it have that you are willing to spend extra $$$ on?

Actually I'm considering 450/500/550 instead, now.
Because some features of 600, i really don't need them :/ and I heard that 600 doesn't have built-in image stabilizer right? It's not worth the $$ then.

kei1309 said:
oh and. depending on what lenses you use, holding it at arm's length to take a shot of yourself, your cam might not be able to focus properly due to minimum focal length.

if that's what you want to do...go for the samsung with the dual LCDs or any Sony with that self-portrait timer thing

Camwhore isn't the main thing I guess. I already have the samsung dualview and would want to have a DSLR that would be able to take good quality image during family events and such. Sometimes even abstract photos ^^ I like photography. But I'm not really gonna invest so much in this hobby by buying diff lenses and all.

Camwhore isn't the main thing I guess. I already have the samsung dualview and would want to have a DSLR that would be able to take good quality image during family events and such. Sometimes even abstract photos ^^ I like photography. But I'm not really gonna invest so much in this hobby by buying diff lenses and all.

actually if that's your thing, then something really portable, shooting on Auto-mode all the way...

you can always look at the Panasonic GF2 or the Sony Alpha NEX3.

they have larger sensors than those on compact cams, and deliver the image quality you desire. one point to note, both offer the use of Manual Focus and changing lenses. but the NEX has the larger sensor, which is the mainstream DSLR sensor size.

(edited in) The Review:
Panasonic GF2
Sony NEX5

my humble 2 cents.

Last edited:
Because some features of 600, i really don't need them :/ and I heard that 600 doesn't have built-in image stabilizer right? It's not worth the $$ then.

No Canon camera bodies have built-in image stabilizer. Go for Sony if you want one. If you are serious about DSLR, do more research.

Oh, did Canon introduce the in-camera stabilization secretly to the older models? :bigeyes:
Tell us more :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.