what kind of DDR2 Ram does dell use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenscapes

Apr 28, 2004
does anyone know what kind of 533mhz DDR2 Ram does dell use on their notebook? if i will to upgrade the Ram myself will it void the warranty?
thanks in advance!

Maybe you can clarify what do you mean by "what kind"? :sweat:

533Mhz DDR2 tio si 533Mhz DDR2......there is no other kind of 533Mhz DDR2...Unless you're talking about the brand...for this instance it doesn't matter any brand, as long as it's 533Mhz DDR2 or higher it will work.....alternatively you can open up the ram compartment to see what is the original one :thumbsup: If you scare, bring your notebook down to the shop that you buy the ram and ask if they allow to test before buy, normally they do and I bought my Twinmos ram from Fuwell and that guy was pretty helpful to make sure my system boot up and ram check properly.

As for the warranty void thing.....this is very gray....you have to read the clause.....I upgraded my IBM notebook's ram and harddisk myself and so far nothing bad happen...but I have intention to restore to the original should I need to send in for repair....so you need to see if there is any seal that prevent tampering before adding or removing the parts.

ok ...what i meant is brand name.. does it matter the different brand mixed?(i.e. crucial, kingston, patriot etc)
i haven't bought the notebook yet and want to upgrade the Ram myself.
seems to be cheaper then dell upgrading for me.

Lenscapes said:
ok ...what i meant is brand name.. does it matter the different brand mixed?(i.e. crucial, kingston, patriot etc)
i haven't bought the notebook yet and want to upgrade the Ram myself.
seems to be cheaper then dell upgrading for me.

Althought I would say nowadays PC are quite std, meaning that they should accept 3rd party brand as long as it conform to the specification.....but there were cases of some motherboard being more fussy than then other....so to play save, there are 2 things you can do...first check the manufacturer site to see if your model is under their approve list or tested list....if not, go down to the shop to ask if they allow testing before buy...and if got problem can you change another brand, normally within 7 days should be OK.

The 3 brands that you quoted are the most popular one esp Kingston, we use a lot of their ram to upgrade our HP PC in our office and I head their distributor Convengent has very good after sale warranty so I think it may be a good choice :)

Buying from oursite is definately cheaper than the vendor itself......for your info, HP quoted us about twice the price of the Kingston ram that we bought outsite and everyone knows HP is not manufacturing Dram so they could be using the same Kington ram that relabeled as HP :sweatsm:

okey dokey... thanks alot for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.