what is the difference between Gary Fong's Lightsphere and Stofen Omnibounce

Status
Not open for further replies.
freecloud said:
Thank all your guys.

I now have a lightsphere. It is big which is very troublesome to bring it with me.

Shall I buy an omnibounce?

I have never used flashes before
Today I shoot a wedding, a photographer shoot together with me, I saw the shots using omnibounce, really buay tahan, so let the photographer use my LS PJ, the photographer also said the effects very much different.

So my advice to you is: don't buy an omnibounce, borrow from someone and do a side by side test yourself.

catchlights said:
Today I shoot a wedding, a photographer shoot together with me, I saw the shots using omnibounce, really buay tahan, so let the photographer use my LS PJ, the photographer also said the effects very much different.

So my advice to you is: don't buy an omnibounce, borrow from someone and do a side by side test yourself.

Hm... interesting.

I am using the PJ LSII, but I have never heard of the omnibounce as "buay tahan".

Have actually received great reviews on the omni and had seriously considered it. After al, its half the price of a LSII. Anyhow, i LOVE the bounce effect that LSII produces and beyond its size, I have little complaints.

Cheers

catchlights said:

I already bought a omnibounce two days ago. The gary fong LSII is too big to carry in my bag. Maybe, I can use it home.

BTW, most photographers in singapore are not using gary fong LSII, but another kind of lightsphere ba?

Bleuwhale said:
Hm... interesting.

I am using the PJ LSII, but I have never heard of the omnibounce as "buay tahan".

Have actually received great reviews on the omni and had seriously considered it. After al, its half the price of a LSII. Anyhow, i LOVE the bounce effect that LSII produces and beyond its size, I have little complaints.

Cheers
Can consider this time is a side by side comparison, the photographer I brought with me use omnibounce, I can't stand the effect omnibounce produce, so I let the photographer use my LSII PJ.

I shoot many weddings, and I use omnibounce before (during the film days), I use bounce card before, I use ceiling bounce before, and I find nothing come close to LS in most of the situation.

freecloud said:
I already bought a omnibounce two days ago. The gary fong LSII is too big to carry in my bag. Maybe, I can use it home.

BTW, most photographers in singapore are not using gary fong LSII, but another kind of lightsphere ba?
I have the LS classic (discontinue), and the LSII PJ (what Cathy Photo is selling now).
Now Gary is coming out another "Lightsphere Cloud" for "sneak release", anyone interested to be the first fews to use it in Singapore?? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

how abt the minisoft box dat is sold in eastgear. is there any difference from from the 2 mentioned lightsphere n omnibounce

wan said:
how abt the minisoft box dat is sold in eastgear. is there any difference from from the 2 mentioned lightsphere n omnibounce

that one if i'm not wrong is called lumiquest?

i think u can only attached it to ur in-built flash. whereas LS and OB are for external flashes?

drumma said:
that one if i'm not wrong is called lumiquest?

i think u can only attached it to ur in-built flash. whereas LS and OB are for external flashes?

How much is that one used for in-build flash? where to buy?

The inbuild flash is almost not usable without any diffuser.

Gary Fong seems to have a new Lightsphere called Cloud, which is supposed to produce even softer diffused light. Anyone has a chance to try that out?

hmm.. interesting no one mentioned how the omni-bounce and the LS diffuses light..
I see many people using the omni-bounce in daylight, thinking it softens the flash. Unfortunately it only reduces the intensity of the flash as light is redirected in all directions (that's why it's called OMNI-Bounce).. the surface area is almost the same as direct flash, therefore shadows should be the same when there are no surfaces to reflect.

The omni-bounce is useful when there are walls and surfaces to bounce off from, ie. a small to medium sized room where light will reflect off all walls & ceiling thereby reducing the harsh shadows.

The lightsphere on the other hand has more light going out of the open cup towards a bounce surface (usually the ceiling) while the rest are deflected off the surface area of the 'cup' which is much larger than the omni-bounce.

Therefore the lightsphere works much better than the omni-bounce outdoors.. in fact it doesn't make sense at all to use the omi-bounce outdoors without any surface to bounce off with or in a club/room with black walls as the light is absorbed by the surfaces.. you're only wasting flash power.

willyfoo said:
hmm.. interesting no one mentioned how the omni-bounce and the LS diffuses light..
I share with others how both things works before, and agreed with you with ones should not use omni-bounce in open space, I believe that most people think it looks so stupid to use a LS in public and don't understand why it costs so much, so prefer to use something more compact and handy. :bsmilie:

HI guys,

Is the Lumiquest Soft screen which is meant for our camera IN-BUILT flash necessary? I do find the in-built flash harsh but is the Lumiquest Soft Screen a gimmick or does it work? Thanks.

http://www.lumiquest.com/softscreen.htm

txv611 said:
HI guys,

Is the Lumiquest Soft screen which is meant for our camera IN-BUILT flash necessary? I do find the in-built flash harsh but is the Lumiquest Soft Screen a gimmick or does it work? Thanks.

Softer lights yielded by bigger light source, if you are taking a head and shoulder shot, you want a nice soft light create by a diffuser or softbox, the diffuser/softbox has to be same size as the subject, and place it as close as possible, just outside the picture frame.

For this Lumiquest Soft screen, it has a size limitation, so the softness of the light also limited.

Is the Lumiquest worth the effort? Or is the improvement so minute that the product should not be considered? I only indoor portrait shots of my kids and looking for a way to reduce the harsh flash. Since I do not use an external flash, i suppose this is the only product i could find for in-built flash. Any alternatives?

catchlights said:
Softer lights yielded by bigger light source, if you are taking a head and shoulder shot, you want a nice soft light create by a diffuser or softbox, the diffuser/softbox has to be same size as the subject, and place it as close as possible, just outside the picture frame.

For this Lumiquest Soft screen, it has a size limitation, so the softness of the light also limited.

txv611 said:
HI guys,

It works to a certain extent, but at the expense of your flash power.

txv611 said:
Is the Lumiquest worth the effort? Or is the improvement so minute that the product should not be considered? I only indoor portrait shots of my kids and looking for a way to reduce the harsh flash. Since I do not use an external flash, i suppose this is the only product i could find for in-built flash. Any alternatives?
If you use an external flash, the Lumiquest Softbox (not the soft screen) is useful. I have shot a wedding using it before. There are still shadows but softer than direct flash or omnibounce. Most of the time I would have bounced the flash but that time, the ceiling of the house was painted yellow and it would affect the colour of the bounced flash, so I had no choice but not to bounce.

txv611 said:
in-built flash has limited power, if you want to creat soft light from in-built flash, it may not even powerfull to give you correct exposure to you picutres.
You want soft lighting? try use available light(outdoor or window light) if possible.

txv611 said:

If you're only going to do indoor stuff, bounce the flash to the ceiling or walls and use a bounce card to get some catchlight.

Im with Willy on his comments on the omnibounce. Years back when it came out, press photographers had it all on, when they were doing outdoor stuff. They have now realised all it does is drain the batt juice and I have not seen anyone of them using it outdoors for some time. Indoors, it's a different story (if you have something to bounce off).

Status
Not open for further replies.