What is considered "cheating" in photography?

Hi, Cheating depends on one's intention and it is up to the viewer to decide.

If CS were to start a "experimental" gallery for un PP photos taking into consideration TS's criterias, i wonder how many people would post and if the comments from viewers will be as +ve as other galleries. So, what do u guys reckon ?

Last edited:
If CS were to start a "experimental" gallery for un PP photos taking into consideration TS's criterias, i wonder how many people would post and if the comments from viewers will be as +ve as other galleries. So, what do u guys reckon ?

I reckon it's still a dead horse. It's not the point whether a picture was taken without any technical modifications or modified later. Along the same line one could say "A life supported by technical means is cheating Death. Let's close all hospitals, ban all medications and all doctors from practicing."
The context gives the meaning and only in the context it can be decided whether a certain image manipulation is a cheat or not. The rules of competition for Canon Photomarathon forbid certain manipulations which are perfectly normal and accepted for other commercial or casual images. Removing details in a portrait might be tolerated (ok, let's put aside the discussion about overly beautified models), removing or adding details in a journalistic image is commonly rejected. Famous example is an image from Gulf War (iirc), showing a Iraqi soldier between two US soldiers. One is giving him water, the other one is pointing a gun at him (normal practice). Just by cropping off either the left or the right soldier the meaning and message is changed completely.
IF TS believes that only the unmodified image is 'valid' so be it. It's his choice and he is free to do it this way. But a lot of pictures would not be possible then. Is that the purpose of it? Sounds like the eternal 'purity' discussion we have seen in many religions ..

Last edited:
What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

(1) Cropping
(2) Double or multiple exposure
(3) Use of various filters - color, polarizer, ND, rainbow, etc
(4) Photo editing using Photoshop, etc.
(5) Stitching of photos to form pano, 360 degree views, etc
(6) HDR photography using Photomatix, etc.

Your views much appreciated.

if any of these are considered cheating, then all the pro pg are cheating. Ansel Adam will be the biggest cheater in the world!

hello Mr Adams, your red filter cannot be use hor... yes.. cannot use means cannot use ok... this is singapore, law by law ok!

cheat or not cheap, the whole world is doing PP... this is reality!

IMG_0340.jpg

I composited elements of several different photographs in order to get the outcome of what I saw in person. But that's how my eyes captured the scene. But for a camera with less dynamic range than a human eye, it becomes necessary to expose for the evening sky, then the floodlit race track, and finally for the racing cars so that they could still be recognizable.

If the allegation that post-shooting manipulation is cheating then this one would be a cheated shot.

But in terms of authenticity to what my eyes saw, this is it.

don't know anything but pretend know a lot of things,
claim other people works as his/her

are the most commonly known as cheating in photography

I agree with the second, but can't see why the first is "cheating".
I call it "bullsh*t".

If, the way you " cheat ", makes your client pay you money, the judges vote you the winner, and all viewers applaud for it....why not ?

anything post processing is cheating.

Half the fun is in shooting, the other half in cheating. 3 to 5X more time required in PP:sweat::sweat:, happily cheating indeed.:bsmilie:

For me 90% of the fun is in the shooting; 10% is spent "cheating" (mainly contrast, cropping and rotate).

I always like to push myself to get the picture right with the camera built-in settings.

In that case everybody have to shoot in JPG, coz anything in RAW is consider PP. :think:

can't even shoot in jpg

shooting in jpg means the camera is processing it.

dump photography. do painting. make the paints from scratch yourself, use your own hairs to make brush, saw down trees yourself to make paper.. that way it will be ENTIRELY YOUR OWN WORK. remember to make tools from... something. i don't know what.

What would one consider as "cheating" in photography? Cheating is hard to define, so a simple definition is a deviation from what has been taken straight from the camera using just the camera lens and body, whether digital or film.

(1) Cropping
(2) Double or multiple exposure
(3) Use of various filters - color, polarizer, ND, rainbow, etc
(4) Photo editing using Photoshop, etc.
(5) Stitching of photos to form pano, 360 degree views, etc
(6) HDR photography using Photomatix, etc.

Your views much appreciated.

Alot of these so call "cheats" have existed since the film days and are also common techniques in the dark room, maybe except (5) and (6). Photography like painting is about creativity. Would you consider Michaelangelo a cheat since angels don't literally appear in the skies?

can't even shoot in jpg

dump photography. do painting. make the paints from scratch yourself, use your own hairs to make brush, saw down trees yourself to make paper.. that way it will be ENTIRELY YOUR OWN WORK. remember to make tools from... something. i don't know what.

u damn funny lah.

next time got event shoot. everyone will bring a canvass, brush and paint. they will be known as the easel gang.

In that case everybody have to shoot in JPG, coz anything in RAW is consider PP. :think:

everyone should go back to film. it's called "get it right the first time".

can't even shoot in jpg

I think the creator needs to grow his own tress (for paper and brush handle) to maintain originality, and that could be expensive. But we can't put a price on art can we?

u damn funny lah.

next time got event shoot. everyone will bring a canvass, brush and paint. they will be known as the easel gang.

actually nightmare has a point. even when u shoot on 35mm, u still dun haev an image until u get it to darkroom and develop. if i were to draw a comparision between 35mm to digi sensors, then darkrooms will be parallel to lightroom.

and stop whipping this long time dead topic. u will never have an ans

UNLESS. u make it a law amongst all photograpehrs and limit everything. which basically sucks. cause photography is an art. rules are meant to be broken.

I think using trainer or gameshark codes is considered cheating but aiyah I want unlimited shutter count and max iso if not cannot get the shots I want..
this is not a gaming forum, dont think they know what you talking about.