What is considered "cheating" in photography?

You mean your eyes can't see bokeh?

Cheating in my definition, grabbed other people's work, altered it and use it for their own gain. Many people in creative industry did this.

Kidding about bokeh, don't replace your eyeball with prime lens :)

I thought creative industry pros, tweak them till it cannot be recognised by the original? that's what i heard from my friend who's a designer... pro designers copy and tweak till it becomes their 'original'

don't worry. my iMount don't have adapter... for prime lens.

I thought creative industry pros, tweak them till it cannot be recognised by the original? that's what i heard from my friend who's a designer... pro designers copy and tweak till it becomes their 'original'

don't worry. my iMount don't have adapter... for prime lens.

Yes, it is true to a certain extend. Just like stolen " ideas " from competitors. But have to do it in a smart way so that it leave no trace for proving. Do came across pictures that look " familiar " from some pass winnning shot, when was volunteering in some competition committee, but we were unable to prove that it was a stolen image.
Unlike the Shanghai world expo theme song..... being disclosed as a near " duplicate " ( 95% as reported ) of a Japanese song .

Do our eyes see things in black and white ?

When we tilt to look at a tall buildings, we perceive it as straight and not distorted, but when we shoot it with a camera, the resulting image we call it distortion.

So, we cheat or the camera ?

Any verdict from you after all the feedback, at least your opinion, not from the view of any publisher, they are out to print and sell. Thanks. :)

Please see the following title of a newly published book. Looks like cheating is publicly admitted. :)

Ah, that's why Nature Photographers have to return their awards..? After all it would be nice to see your point of view. Given the huge amount and range of feedback it seems your initial question is not really hitting the point.

maybe ts just want to throw a question out and let people fight it out while he watch in amusement. :bsmilie:

THAT IS THE CORE meaning

Everything else is GREY and your thread will not turn it into a clearly defined Black or White

wait. is BLACK AND WHITE cheating ?

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Pack up the gears, tell wife you are going shooting ... then go out and find the girlfriend. That's cheating. :bsmilie:

:p wah... a true Pro!

Although I've been registered since 2004, I rarely post here so I just wanna clarify, did I ruffle any feathers here? I dun wanna be sensitive but it seems as if there is no middle ground on this. Its either you're pro PP or anti PP. And with some here recommending films/slides/kodachrome 25(I have no idea whats that!) for the purists, it does seems to be that way, right? :what:

no worries .... purist ?? what purist ?? no such thing as purist ... shoot film doesn't mean they are purist, i shot film before too but thats long time agon tho... when we choose a type of film whether kodachrome 25, velvia 50/100 , sensia or provia we are actually selecting what kind of color we want to achieve in the end cos they all have different color characteristics. During film days is more like Pre Process, the type of film results what colors we achieve but in digital photography we choose to Post Process ... in either way as long as u enjoy doing it , just do it :cool:

Hahah good topic. I was at PMA-Australia here in Melbourne last week and attended a talk given by a photographer. In that talk, he shared this concept (not new to many) of Post-Conceptualization.

When $$$ is in play and when client want something "sensational" for greater impact Post-conceptualization - a.k.a Photo-shopping, a.k.a Post-processing, e.k.a Postshot-Editing.....a.k.a Cheat ehem...ehm..... gets the job.

I personally am okay with some level of post-processing but to cut and past objects or subjects out just to cut-in the "composition" - and presented solely as "works of photography" I guess I have yet to accept this fact.

if you think of photography as an expression of art, no matter what you do to the image, crop/HDR/bla bla bla (honest cheating)

if you have a product/subject to showcase commercially (necessary cheating)

stealing someone else's and claiming to be your own (punishable by law cheating)

:bsmilie:

This is what i came across a message in a photoshop tutorial book years ago. When we want to talk about cheating, we better understand what is originality. If enhancing in photoshop means cheating, den when u take a close shot of a guy crying without framing the rest of the people smiling in your shot (which is suppose to be a happy event/atmosphere), does that depict from the originality, is it consider cheating?

This is the fun part about photography. You take a photo, you tell a story from it. Photographer creates their stories, and they create it through framing of pictures, and depending on the purpose, they may add in effects to enhance/strengthen the stories that they wanna tell.

Let's take another example of a shot of a flower/object that belongs to others. Do you own that object? Do u grow that flower? Does that mean the photographers cheat on his way to taking that picture?

To me, i would say that the limit of cheating is exceeded when we took other's work (with or without further PP to it) and claim that it's our work.

I shall try to make a summary on this thread since I started this long string of agrument, not sure if everyone would agree. Please supplement or amend where necessary.

Downright cheating
Taking someone's photo and claim to be his or hers, or a modification of someone's photo. This is plagiarism.

Cheating
Deleting, adding something which is not there originally.

Enhancing
Cropping, all kinds of filter work, altering color, correct perspective, straighten horizon, etc

Skilful and artistic manipulation
HDR imaging, stitching

AYC

no worries .... purist ?? what purist ?? no such thing as purist ... shoot film doesn't mean they are purist, i shot film before too but thats long time agon tho... when we choose a type of film whether kodachrome 25, velvia 50/100 , sensia or provia we are actually selecting what kind of color we want to achieve in the end cos they all have different color characteristics. During film days is more like Pre Process, the type of film results what colors we achieve but in digital photography we choose to Post Process ... in either way as long as u enjoy doing it , just do it :cool:

Thanks for the reassurance!

Cheating
Deleting, adding something which is not there originally.

AYC

totally wrong.

removing of pimples , scar, making the muscle bigger or making woman boobs bigger(Liquify) is a very common technique.

if you think editing is cheating, it's time to quit photography.

look at those gal photos posted by the photo outing organizer. very nice right? the skin very smooth and no flaw right? but if you meet the gal in real life, you will be disappointed. Objects on you screen might not appear as good as they are. but then again, if the event organizer post gal photo with flaw[ with pimples( got juice ooze from it), messy hair, scar, ugly tattoo] no one will pay for the photo shoot outing. This is a fact.

Last edited: