What is bracket?---Jayan pls enlighten

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangcy

Jan 30, 2002
Pasir Ris
Visit site
Any use of it?

Also what's the AEL button for? I know it locks the exposure but why do you need to lock it?

I am using uzi lah, so need Jayan's help

Bracketing mean you take 3 - 5 (you can choose in your menu) picture of different steps in exposure ( 1 lighter / 1 normal / 1 darker) so you can choose later for the best exposed picture. Pretty good for digital camera as you won't burn any film/slides.

Originally posted by tangcy
Any use of it?

Also what's the AEL button for? I know it locks the exposure but why do you need to lock it?

I am using uzi lah, so need Jayan's help

I am not Jayan, but maybe I can help. :)

Bracketing is used when you are not sure of the correct exposure, i.e., in funny lighting conditions when you think the camera's metering may be fooled. So when you use bracketing, you can set the camera to take 3 or 5 shots of the same scene while varying the exposure by an EV amount that you specifiy. For e.g., if you think the uncertainty of exposure is 1/3 EV, you can set bracketing of 3 shots at +-1/3EV, and the camera will take 1 shot at the metered exposure, one shot at -1/3EV of the metered exposure, and one shot at +1/3EV of the metered exposure.

Bracketing is more useful for film cameras, cos for digital cameras, you can adjust exposure at once if it is not right cos you can review your shots immediately. For film cameras, in order to be assured of a properly exposed shot, bracketing is used sometimes.

As for AEL, you usually lock exposure during difficult lighting conditions too. For e.g. the scene is strongly backlit, but you don't want your foreground subjects to be underexposed, so you can frame your subjects first, then lock exposure, then reframe your shot to include the background. But note that you can also lock exposure by half-pressing the shutter and hold it there.

Another occasion for AEL is when you are taking panorama shots. Usually you would want the exposure to be consistent for all your shots so that they will be coherent when you stitch them up. For the 2100, I think when you go into panorama mode, exposure is automatically locked.

Personally, I don't use AEL much. Usually just do a half-shutter.

He could mean flash bracket? Wot?
Use to keep flash away from the camera so avoid red eye and flash blast white look.

Originally posted by kraterz
He could mean flash bracket? Wot?
Use to keep flash away from the camera so avoid red eye and flash blast white look.

errr, well ok fair enough. :D :D

thks for the tip. I am refering to the bracket where the word BKT appear when I press the drive button.

what is this flash bracket anyway?

Originally posted by tangcy
thks for the tip. I am refering to the bracket where the word BKT appear when I press the drive button.

what is this flash bracket anyway?

ok then my explanation of bracketing will be relevant. :)

flash bracket is just this structure for you to mount an external flash. It is often used for cameras without a hotshoe to mount the external flash. Sometimes cameras with a hotshoe use it too to vary and control the distance and direction etc of the external flash.

Originally posted by Tweek

I am not Jayan, but maybe I can help. :)

Bracketing is used when you are not sure of the correct exposure, i.e., in funny lighting conditions when you think the camera's metering may be fooled. So when you use bracketing, you can set the camera to take 3 or 5 shots of the same scene while varying the exposure by an EV amount that you specifiy. For e.g., if you think the uncertainty of exposure is 1/3 EV, you can set bracketing of 3 shots at +-1/3EV, and the camera will take 1 shot at the metered exposure, one shot at -1/3EV of the metered exposure, and one shot at +1/3EV of the metered exposure.

Bracketing is more useful for film cameras, cos for digital cameras, you can adjust exposure at once if it is not right cos you can review your shots immediately. For film cameras, in order to be assured of a properly exposed shot, bracketing is used sometimes.

As for AEL, you usually lock exposure during difficult lighting conditions too. For e.g. the scene is strongly backlit, but you don't want your foreground subjects to be underexposed, so you can frame your subjects first, then lock exposure, then reframe your shot to include the background. But note that you can also lock exposure by half-pressing the shutter and hold it there.

Another occasion for AEL is when you are taking panorama shots. Usually you would want the exposure to be consistent for all your shots so that they will be coherent when you stitch them up. For the 2100, I think when you go into panorama mode, exposure is automatically locked.

Personally, I don't use AEL much. Usually just do a half-shutter.

Thks, Tweek! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.