what do u do with your digital photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
at what print size do you normally keep them... i thought of doing it in A3 but i am not sure whether my resolution will be enough esp i do a lot of cropping.. some i crop as much as 50% of the pics... probably roughly A4 size will be good..?

Well it depends on how much you want to spend. If you shoot a lot and have lots to print, large sizes can be expensive. I suggest A4 or smaller. I usually print in A4 or 4R. 4R is easiest for sharing and of course most convenient for storage. A3 is pretty hard to keep.

Actually you don't have to bother much about resolution, unless you really crop your picture into a tiny bit. A 2MP pic at 300dpi is roughly good enough for 4R.

I shoot mostly portraits so I print them out and give to the person i snapped and email them a smaller copy for facebook etc, after that I trash the file. For more impt pictures or ones I really like, I keep on HDD and burn into dvd as backup. It always good to keep old pictures to see how ur style or technique has changed or improved over time.

Do you guys keep both RAW and converted JPEG??

How did u manage the storage? :)

Do you guys keep both RAW and converted JPEG??

How did u manage the storage? :)

HDD and DVD these days are getting cheaper and cheaper. Their volumes are getting larger and larger.

Like someone else earlier mentioned, I also loss the info on one of my harddisk. 6 months of photos gone down the drain...luckily i have another harddisk with other photos over the years.

The external harddisk is branded one. But still failed nevertheless. I'm going to DVD.

i have like about 44Gb of photos (after some housekeeping).. i am sure many of u have much more than this.. can i ask for suggestion what do u do with your past photographs taken? keep archive in the hard disk... print in hard copy? i did double backup in a separate hdd juz in case.. touch wood.. crash!!

there is quite a few photos which i really like but i dunno what to do with it also.. to make it as my computer screen saver.. print and frame in my room (dunno got so much space)... keep a photobook...

hope can provide me with some suggestion...

i'd say put it up on sites like flickr, pbase, and not forgetting clubsnap :devil:

if you'd like to share your photos with people you meet, a small album, prints, photobook and so forth could be good. if you have a portable media device or something similar, showing photos on those could work too.

it would soon be the new year. you could make a calendar for your desk. if you have x'mas shots, turn them into x'mas cards and such...

Well it depends on how much you want to spend. If you shoot a lot and have lots to print, large sizes can be expensive. I suggest A4 or smaller. I usually print in A4 or 4R. 4R is easiest for sharing and of course most convenient for storage. A3 is pretty hard to keep.

Actually you don't have to bother much about resolution, unless you really crop your picture into a tiny bit. A 2MP pic at 300dpi is roughly good enough for 4R.

i had quite a few in 4R.. but those really good one i hope to do a bigger print.. cos imagine some of the hardwork goes into pixels editing so hope can show a bit more details.... i think probably 5R maybe more cost effective in a long run...

i'd say put it up on sites like flickr, pbase, and not forgetting clubsnap :devil:

if you'd like to share your photos with people you meet, a small album, prints, photobook and so forth could be good. if you have a portable media device or something similar, showing photos on those could work too.

it would soon be the new year. you could make a calendar for your desk. if you have x'mas shots, turn them into x'mas cards and such...

thks for the suggestion.. calender seems nice...

Like someone else earlier mentioned, I also loss the info on one of my harddisk. 6 months of photos gone down the drain...luckily i have another harddisk with other photos over the years.

The external harddisk is branded one. But still failed nevertheless. I'm going to DVD.

actually this is my WORST nightmare.. thats why i ask this question in this thread... i noe i need to backup the photo... i had another hdd... so probably now i have 88Gb inclusive of backup... i really a bit paranoid... thats why i would like to noe does fellow csers had their photos in print... cos i am seriously considering my next step to be hardcopy liao... then i will be worrying what print size to do.. haha.... maybe i shld keep in DVD instead... probably i should start a poll abt backing up images... DVD should rate quite high...

Last edited:
Repeat after me "Hardisks WILL FAIL!". I know. I used to sell enterprise servers to corp. The reason why companies are still spending millions to have redundant hardwares and softwares. So small fries like us will have to make do with a mixture of harddisk and DVDs. There is no magic to this. Just find a way that have a multiple redundancy will be enough. I believe most people will have a DVD (or multiple DVDs) and hardisk copies at the same time.

As for shooting Raw or Jpgs, I always set my camera to shoot Raw and jpegs. I will do the "trashing" later. That means, if shooting family events, ie. just for memory, IQ not that important, I will trash the Raw and keep the jpegs. However if I see a potential pic for printing etc, then I will keep the Raw and jpeg and later photoshop the Raw.

repeat after me "hardisks will fail!". I know. I used to sell enterprise servers to corp. The reason why companies are still spending millions to have redundant hardwares and softwares. So small fries like us will have to make do with a mixture of harddisk and dvds. There is no magic to this. Just find a way that have a multiple redundancy will be enough. I believe most people will have a dvd (or multiple dvds) and hardisk copies at the same time.

As for shooting raw or jpgs, i always set my camera to shoot raw and jpegs. I will do the "trashing" later. That means, if shooting family events, ie. Just for memory, iq not that important, i will trash the raw and keep the jpegs. However if i see a potential pic for printing etc, then i will keep the raw and jpeg and later photoshop the raw.

harddisks will fail!!!

Pay a bit more and get the good harddisks.
Actually if you're so afraid of harddisks failing, you can buy 2 or more, and sync them periodically.
Plus you can recover your data using software, or send it to some company to help you do.

Uploading to pbase, flickr etc can be a good idea, but you often need to downsize and compress your photos. And they don't accept RAW. Unless you're a Nikon user, there is PictureTown.

So one option may be you upload your photos as an attachment in your email, then email back to yourself. Do this only when you're very very free.

Hmm... I do agree that harddisks will fail... and frequently at the most crucial hour. Guess it's only sensible to have multiple redundancy... But isn't uploading, emailing etc just too troublesome? I'd think DVDs are the best secondary backup.

I just keep it in my harddisk. I dont have many photos.

Pay a bit more and get the good harddisks.

Sorry but cost of harddisk do not dictate reliability. You get better warranty but if your harddisks' fried, your datas gone anyway!

Sorry but cost of harddisk do not dictate reliability. You get better warranty but if your harddisks' fried, your datas gone anyway!

No I didn't say cost of harddisk dictates quality. There may be correlation. But what I meant is that higher priced harddisk tends to be of better quality. The extra dollars you fork out, might go into stricter quality control exercised by the manufacturer.

No I didn't say cost of harddisk dictates quality. There may be correlation. But what I meant is that higher priced harddisk tends to be of better quality. The extra dollars you fork out, might go into stricter quality control exercised by the manufacturer.

Well, there is an amount of truth to your comment. Of course reputable manufacturers tend to have better quality control. But then again, I have so many Seagate and Western Digital died on me that it is not funny.

The thing here is not to solely rely on harddisk for storage but a combination of medias.

Status
Not open for further replies.