What culture is it here??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm telling you that what you're implying, that people who critic but are not paid for it are but critiquing for the sake of critiquing, and therefore not worth that of paid critics, is an over-generalisation.

art critics, being people who intentionally concern themselves with art, make as much contribution to art as artists themselves, and to be concerned in art is not the priviledge of institutionally recognised artists and critics.

Yes, you have a valid point here.

And they a rare breed:sweat: :thumbsup:

Yes, you have a valid point here.

And they a rare breed:sweat: :thumbsup:

Feedback is always important to help one improve and grow.

Are you referring to bad experience from criticism? :eek:

yup... so i decided to post on other website... where people wont just criticise and "jump" to other threads and continue to criticise other people...

i also notice that some people who like to criticise other people's works... didnt post their own works too... i wonder is it because they are afraid of being criticise by other people? :think:

yup... so i decided to post on other website... where people wont just criticise and "jump" to other threads and continue to criticise other people...

i also notice that some people who like to criticise other people's works... didnt post their own works too... i wonder is it because they are afraid of being criticise by other people? :think:

just ignore what you think is mean spirited lor...its a free world. Most important thing to remember is that you don't have to prove anything to anyone but yourself.

Feedback is always important to help one improve and grow.

i agree~! not forgetting feedback does built someone's confident too... :)

just ignore what you think is mean spirited lor...its a free world. Most important thing to remember is that you don't have to prove anything to anyone but yourself.

Well said! :thumbsup:

Yup... i know... maybe last time i was inexperienced and want to share my photos with others... then the results came out to be this way :)

Questions : What is the objectivity of Critque ?

So that the Giver is reassured of his Own's Standing ?
Or that the Receiver is being rated according to the Giver's yardstick ?

hmm actually there's a few separate issues here:

1) must be good photographer to critique
i'm from the "don't need to be good, but must know what's good" camp. comments should be evaluated on their own merits - a comment doesn't have to be wrong just because the guy who made it is a terrible photographer. we have to hone our own filtration system

2) how come don't post photographs?
yeah i'd like to see more people post their stuff too. cos more to see is always nice. plus, it helps give an insight into the person's interests and ideas. you feel like you have a better idea of who you're talking to after seeing their work.

i suppose some people have reasons for not posting, e.g. shy. or maybe some who do this professionally prefer not to. but if someone likes to whack other people but doesn't dare to expose his own work to comment, that's cowardice.

3) cyber arsonists :bsmilie:
yah in real life this behaviour would be very rare. and it's rude even if it's online. but that's what the anonimity of forums encourages. once again, filter filter filter. i'm sure it didn't take you long to figure out who the idiots were...

CS is full of all kinds of characters lah. i try to learn what i can and have some fun, and avoid the unpleasant stuff

Is the issue that some critics are callous in the delivery of their critiques? OR that their credentials are in doubt because they don't post anything (so that you don't have a benchmark to measure against)?

Are you chuffed that these critics have high and mighty attitudes OR that they have nothing to back up their attitudes?

Would you overlook the actions of a critically acclaimed photographer like say Sabastiao Sadalgo if he were to be very harsh in critique of your photos, just because of who he is?

Is the issue that some critics are callous in the delivery of their critiques? OR that their credentials are in doubt because they don't post anything (so that you don't have a benchmark to measure against)?

Are you chuffed that these critics have high and mighty attitudes OR that they have nothing to back up their attitudes?

Would you overlook the actions of a critically acclaimed photographer like say Sabastiao Sadalgo if he were to be very harsh in critique of your photos, just because of who he is?

yeap i agree. Some est people let it go to their heads and become @$$es. Best thing to do is to take the criticism and do something positive with it. Best way to shut them up :bsmilie:

To me, criticism is vital in one's development, coming from years of experience in my field, where we eat criticism for our meals ;)

But I would think that in a forum like CS, people shouldn't just criticize and walk away. You must try to give something good for the one being criticized to go away, being better, hopefully. Criticism must be constructive, not destructive.

Its the attitude that I'm getting at. Not to be high and mighty, knowing all, but having a professional approach to it, even if its a hobby, for photography is such a fine art.

Its like a surgeon performing an operation , and walk away without sewing back the open wounds.:eek:

some can give critique and some cannot
some can take critique and some cannot

it is a learning process
where more experience and making mistakes will make you learn faster

it is a learning process

Why worry so much?! its not like the person is physically harming you. If its good smile and say thanks. If its bad smile and flip him the bird! :bsmilie: and if its defamatory in nature SUE! :bsmilie:

it is a learning process

Don't have to reinvent the wheel, learn from other's mistakes, that's what I'd rather do ;)

Hello my dearest fellow CSers ;)

I've been a member here for quite a while already, but still considered new, so maybe this is the correct place to post this thread regarding the culture here in CS. After posting a few threads and joining other people's thread, I've come to notice a certain kind of behaviour that's quite accepted here in CS, which in some other places can be viewed as a very ungentlemanly and dishonorable behaviour.

Firstly, I've noticed that there are those "self appointed professional critique", who does not post any photos taken by them at all...I mean, c'mon, let's be fair and put at least one, its not too much to ask right? ;) Its to give the guy/gal being criticised, a chance to verify the qualification of the criticizer. Its always easy to comment and give ideas etc.... when one can't produce what one propose, its unfair to the guy who spend hard work and time posting up, being open and got disappointing critiques by these group of people.

Secondly, there are those who make short and cutting remarks, and when questioned upon for more details, they are no where to be seen...GONE!! It's quite remarkable and unbelievable. And you can see them hopping from one thread to another, obviously ignoring any further questioning.... cyber arsonist

I believe people here are of a certain calibre and intelligence, there's no need for anyone to be embarassed by being reminded of such fundamental courtesy, so I sincerely hope that more honour be brought to this place, and let's be open and learn from each other, myself highly included. As you can see, I've put up quite a number of photos even before I started to participate in commenting about other's photo, so if you see that my photos are not up to standard, then I have given you a chance to ignore what I commented.

What do you all think? Any similar observations? Or maybe its just me :bsmilie:

Don't take what they say here too seriously, this isn't a certified place where you can have your pics properly critiqued.

I think more appropriate would be to submit your shots to those photography magazines. And therein, you will be given a good scrutiny, and more professionally chewed up if your shots are shody.

Status
Not open for further replies.