What brand of tripod do you use?

What brand of tripod do you use?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods , i like to change my vote from the Others, please specify category , to the Manfrotto one !!
Thanks ;)

Originally posted by Daniel

A spirit level would be necessary on the tripod head as well as the camera itself, if you are taking 360 panoramic shots by panning the tripod head.

Do u pan the camera or the tripod head? Any difference?

Originally posted by ckiang

You might as well ask for hydraulic legs! The manfrotto ones uses wing nut or the flap-style catches, easier to unlock/lock compared to the Gitzo twist and turn locks. :)

Regards
CK

Mine also got the flap-style catches but I think with these minute height adjustments aren't very easy to adjust especially when u have really large lens on top. The whole tripod just comes sliding down and u really have to be careful. I thought with geared heads and centre columns, there should also be geared tripod legs. :D Wishful thinking I guess. But that Manfrotto should be the one I will get........:D :D Makes me happy to think about buying............

Originally posted by TME

Mine also got the flap-style catches but I think with these minute height adjustments aren't very easy to adjust especially when u have really large lens on top. The whole tripod just comes sliding down and u really have to be careful. I thought with geared heads and centre columns, there should also be geared tripod legs. :D Wishful thinking I guess. But that Manfrotto should be the one I will get........:D :D Makes me happy to think about buying............

You should really be setting up the tripod BEFORE you mount your camera. After that, any finer adjuctments can be made with the head. If you really have to make adjustments to the tripod legs, then dis-mount the camera for goodness sake.

Originally posted by Kit

You should really be setting up the tripod BEFORE you mount your camera. After that, any finer adjuctments can be made with the head. If you really have to make adjustments to the tripod legs, then dis-mount the camera for goodness sake.

I know but my lousy tripod got no bubble level at all so I just "agar" all the time. When I mount the camera and compose then I notice that the lines in the viewfinder ain't straight. So I have to adjust and when I do so I don't want to remove the camera in case removing it creates a new imbalance somewhere. And my one way head doesn't allow for this kind of off-level correction! So I am reduced to adjusting the legs. Which is also why I started thinking about a new tripod when this thread appeared!! :D

Originally posted by TME

I know but my lousy tripod got no bubble level at all so I just "agar" all the time. When I mount the camera and compose then I notice that the lines in the viewfinder ain't straight. So I have to adjust and when I do so I don't want to remove the camera in case removing it creates a new imbalance somewhere. And my one way head doesn't allow for this kind of off-level correction! So I am reduced to adjusting the legs. Which is also why I started thinking about a new tripod when this thread appeared!! :D

That's why a good tripod is important. Get a Manfrotto 190 Pro B with a 352 head lar. It should suit most situations. I have used that for a year already. Total cost should not be more than $250.

Regards
CK

That's why a good tripod is important. Get a Manfrotto 190 Pro B with a 352 head lar. It should suit most situations. I have used that for a year already. Total cost should not be more than $250.

Regards
CK

I agree , and i will say that if you install two spirit levels on the tripod Bobby , you can set the tripod first , and do all the little adjustments that you have to make , and then you can add the camera on it ..

Or if accuracy in the panoramas is too much important to you , there is one special Manfrotto accessory that i will do this job for you , you set it up between the head and the tripod ,looks like 3 pairs of rings that you can adjust 5 degrees aberration at max .

Spirit level on the tripod and head is not essential and pointless as it's more important to get the CAMERA level. For that, get a 20-30$ spirit level which fits onto the camera's hotshoe instead. Yes, it lets you get the thing level in all 3 directions.

Regards
CK

i wish to get this spirit level too. Where can i get this?

Originally posted by shawntim

i wish to get this spirit level too. Where can i get this?

try the kaiser man (2nd floor at PP, he just expanded his shop next to the temple (shop with dog photo at the entrance).

he'll probably quote u a high price, but ya can try to bargain. anyway. the spirit level i'm talking about is by kaiser.

don't ask me why i call him kaiser man.

Excuse my ignorance, but where is PP? People's Park or Peninsula Plaza? Can give the name and unit no. of the shop pse...I am also looking for that thingy lar...:bsmilie:

Regards
CK

The 352 is a ballhead right? Right now torn between the 141RC and the 352 RC loh. I think price-wise they are the same or thereabouts? 190B + 352C <$250 is really quite attractive. Can buy a spirit bubble too.

Originally posted by TME

The 352 is a ballhead right? Right now torn between the 141RC and the 352 RC loh. I think price-wise they are the same or thereabouts? 190B + 352C <$250 is really quite attractive. Can buy a spirit bubble too.

Well as I've said, ballheads and 3 way pan heads are for different applications altogether. Its best you start by assessing the style(subject) of shooting you would like to/ or are pursuing.

Originally posted by Kit

Well as I've said, ballheads and 3 way pan heads are for different applications altogether. Its best you start by assessing the style(subject) of shooting you would like to/ or are pursuing.

Hmm.........Will think about it. Though I like a everything also can kind of head loh! Greedy right? !!! :D

Lets keep it simple , if you like to shoot panoramas , the cheapest and best way is the 3 Axis heads ...

Or if you have some zoom power like 10X or more ,again the 3 Axis heads is what you mast have .

I have read that the ball heads is good for action shots , well under this concept , you do not need a tripod at all .
Simply because the monopod is what called as support accessory for action shots .

Originally posted by syncmaster
Lets keep it simple , if you like to shoot panoramas , the cheapest and best way is the 3 Axis heads ...

Or if you have some zoom power like 10X or more ,again the 3 Axis heads is what you mast have .

I have read that the ball heads is good for action shots , well under this concept , you do not need a tripod at all .
Simply because the monopod is what called as support accessory for action shots .

Well, I like to take night shots of city scapes, buildings, people, touristy shots and some scenery.....so I guess the 3-way is better.......

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by TME

Well, I like to take night shots of city scapes, buildings, people, touristy shots and some scenery.....so I guess the 3-way is better.......

Thanks for the help.

Do note that 3-way heads are a LOT more fiddly to adjust. A ballhead lets you loosen one control and you can tilt/pan to any angle you want, then lock it. Better ball heads have tension controls to adjust how tight the ball is when unlocked.

3 way heads give you more precision when you are shooting things like buildings, etc, but with this precision comes a lot more work at adjusting it. :)

Regards
CK

Do note that 3-way heads are a LOT more fiddly to adjust. A ballhead lets you loosen one control and you can tilt/pan to any angle you want, then lock it. Better ball heads have tension controls to adjust how tight the ball is when unlocked.

3 way heads give you more precision when you are shooting things like buildings, etc, but with this precision comes a lot more work at adjusting it. :)

Regards
CK

Hmm....WHY DID U?!! ARGGGhhhhhhhhhhh..................my head spins!! :D

I'll take note. Will go down and try out and see what I like and feel most comfortable with. Thanks a lot!

If you're into taking buildings and don't mind working slowly, I would recommend you to get the 410 Junior Gear Head. Talking about speed, its not actually slower than a 3 way head. Easier to use in my opinion too. You don't have to hold the head in position while locking the levers. Definitely more precise.

Originally posted by TME

Do u pan the camera or the tripod head? Any difference?
Depends on the head...

If you use a ball head, it's almost impossible to pan the camera and ensure that it is always moving along a plane. So you would want to pan the tripod head instead.

If you use a 3 way head, you can chose to pan either, no difference here.

But either way, you would need a spirit level on both the head and camera to be really sure that your setup is horizontal i.e. if you are really particular abt getting good panoramas.

Originally posted by Daniel

Depends on the head...

If you use a ball head, it's almost impossible to pan the camera and ensure that it is always moving along a plane. So you would want to pan the tripod head instead.

If you use a 3 way head, you can chose to pan either, no difference here.

But either way, you would need a spirit level on both the head and camera to be really sure that your setup is horizontal i.e. if you are really particular abt getting good panoramas.

Urrmmm.....panoramas are possible with flim cameras meh? Must be super "zhun" to get the shots right! I read on the Manfrotto website that some of their tripds have markings for panoramic shots? Anyone use this?

Status
Not open for further replies.