What brand of tripod do you use?

What brand of tripod do you use?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to swop a OEM Nikon tripod for a Slik U8000. The OEM Nikon is lousy as the plate slant to one side making taking pics lopsided when they come out!

Is the Slik U8000 any good for a nikon CP 5700? Is there camera weight to tripod ratio? Aside from stability and price of tripod?

I am abt 1.73m tall. What price did other buyers of U8000 paid for their tripod pse? I did not check the price be4 I got it. I know it is silly to ask after buying but wld like to know to determine if I wld ever want to go back to the same shop again...

What i do not like in the Slick U series is the head , its very cheap made .

If your plan is to spent more cash for a tripod , then just get a better one .
But i have to inform you that one good head cost as 50-100$ US and the tripod body another 50-100$ US ..

Only if you give at list 120 $ US for a tripod it will really worth .

Thks for the suggestion. It certainly looks good but it is way out of my budget for now.

Have to settle for my U8000 for now until I have more money to "upgrade". ;)

Originally posted by Kit

You've confused quick release plates with hotshoe. A hotshoe is an accessory socket mounted on camera for use with external flashes, remote control, etc.

You can purchase ballheads seperately but some shops do combo deals which includes a basic head with the tripod.

Ah!!! Something new for me to learn. Okay so if my bidget was about $300, what would be a good combo of tripod and ballhead? What is the difference between a ballhead and a normal head?

Originally posted by TME

Ah!!! Something new for me to learn. Okay so if my bidget was about $300, what would be a good combo of tripod and ballhead? What is the difference between a ballhead and a normal head?

No such thing as "normal" head. :)

Tripods are usually used with:
1. 2 way pan head (the so-called normal one you get with cheapo tripods, can tilt left/right and up/down, that's why call 2 way).

2. 3 way pan head (the one with 3 handles, can do left/right, up/down, and horizontal tilt (like mount the camera 45° off horizontal).

3. various ball heads

4. other uncommon heads

For $300, you can actually get a Manfrotto 190Pro B with a 352RC ball head with ~$100 spare change, or a 055Pro B with same head if you need a taller tripod, and still get some change back.

This combo should serve well for most people.

Regards
CK

Go for the ultimate setup man!

ball3_700x456.jpg

Originally posted by ckiang

For $300, you can actually get a Manfrotto 190Pro B with a 352RC ball head with ~$100 spare change, or a 055Pro B with same head if you need a taller tripod, and still get some change back.

Regards
CK

CK,

just a question, would this set up be suitable for a DC?
And would it be very heavy? (Any estimated weight?)

Cheers! :)

Thks Jason for the recommendation of the Gitzo tripod. I am sure it is excellent but does one need to hire a camel to carry it?:bsmilie:

1. 2 way pan head (the so-called normal one you get with cheapo tripods, can tilt left/right and up/down, that's why call 2 way).

2. 3 way pan head (the one with 3 handles, can do left/right, up/down, and horizontal tilt (like mount the camera 45° off horizontal).

3. various ball heads

4. other uncommon heads

Regards
CK

Thanks for the recommendations! Hmm...what u are saying that only about $200 is sufficient for a good entry pro tripod? THe more I think, the more my heart says "BUY"!! :D I'll go check out the websites.

Originally posted by Jason Ho
Go for the ultimate setup man!

ball3_700x456.jpg

Looks cool but hey I am not a pro! Besides, that look likes carbon fiber to me...........well........$$$$

BTW, why is Darren's name on the photo but your nick says Jason??? Where has Darren gone? I don't see him posting around much leh?

3. various ball heads

4. other uncommon heads

Regards
CK

Hi, I looked through the Manfrotto website and saw the models u recommneded. Some more questions to ask anyone in the know.

What's the difference between a ballhead and a 3-way pan in terms of flexibility and ease of use? I notice that the 3-ways had given angles of movement while the ballheads (which are not 3-ways) did not have them? Any significance?

I do not trust the 3 way solutions , the way of diagonal tilt it looks like a danger move , due the reason that the weight moves away from the center ..

What i need and i believe the most people does , is one metal head , with panorama ability's and soft motion in all Axis ..
With good lock ability .

The ball heads its not my favorites , due the reason that you cannot make micro changes when you are targeting at far distances or in small objects .. Like the moon shots ..

The Manfrotto MA 141RC basic head looks good ..
And the Cullman haves another one good head but 3 ways one .
141RC_itm_img.gif

http://www.manfrotto.com/products/metric/botfot3.html?menu=botfot2.html&menu1=botfot2.html&sectionid=2&subsectionid=3&categoryid=8&subcategoryid=34&man_code=141RC&company=MNO&doc_from=gerarchia&contatore=primo

Originally posted by TME

Hi, I looked through the Manfrotto website and saw the models u recommneded. Some more questions to ask anyone in the know.

What's the difference between a ballhead and a 3-way pan in terms of flexibility and ease of use? I notice that the 3-ways had given angles of movement while the ballheads (which are not 3-ways) did not have them? Any significance?

Which head you buy would very much depends on what you are shooting. A ballhead would be faster to use but less precise. A 3 way pan head would be slower but allows more precision in setting up your shots. However, if precision is what you need, I would recommend you to fork out a bit more for the 410 junior gear head. Even slower to work with compared to the 3 way but gives you ver precise adjustments because you don't have to lock the levers in place after adjusting. Rotating knobs allow fine adjustments too.

What do you mean by flexibility? These heads are designed to do different jobs. However, if its for general use and precision is not quite an issue, a ballhead would do.

Ease of use? Well, they are tripod heads, release, adjust, lock. How difficult can they be?

Originally posted by Kit

Which head you buy would very much depends on what you are shooting. A ballhead would be faster to use but less precise. A 3 way pan head would be slower but allows more precision in setting up your shots. However, if precision is what you need, I would recommend you to fork out a bit more for the 410 junior gear head. Even slower to work with compared to the 3 way but gives you ver precise adjustments because you don't have to lock the levers in place after adjusting. Rotating knobs allow fine adjustments too.

What do you mean by flexibility? These heads are designed to do different jobs. However, if its for general use and precision is not quite an issue, a ballhead would do.

Ease of use? Well, they are tripod heads, release, adjust, lock. How difficult can they be?

Thanks for the quite summary. Well ease of use as in not hav eto fuss with too many locks and levers and catches, etc. I like the look of the 3-way and it seems to give more options in panning and adjustments. But everyone here seems to use ballheads?:dunno:

I was looking at the 141RC, looks quite suitable. I guess I would just have to try. I use a 24-135 82mm thread Tamron zoom at the moment and its pretty dang heavy. So the ballhead/3-way has to be stong enough. And also I want to be able to hold the camera in portrait mode which I can't now with this flimsy travel Giottos tripod that came with the 505si. The camera with lens is just too heavy for the panhead and slips down from the 90 degrees.

Originally posted by syncmaster
I do not trust the 3 way solutions , the way of diagonal tilt it looks like a danger move , due the reason that the weight moves away from the center ..

What i need and i believe the most people does , is one metal head , with panorama ability's and soft motion in all Axis ..
With good lock ability .

The ball heads its not my favorites , due the reason that you cannot make micro changes when you are targeting at far distances or in small objects .. Like the moon shots ..

The Manfrotto MA 141RC basic head looks good ..
And the Cullman haves another one good head but 3 ways one .
141RC_itm_img.gif

http://www.manfrotto.com/products/metric/botfot3.html?menu=botfot2.html&menu1=botfot2.html&sectionid=2&subsectionid=3&categoryid=8&subcategoryid=34&man_code=141RC&company=MNO&doc_from=gerarchia&contatore=primo

This one got spirit level or not? I am very poor at straight lines and leveling my own tripod. A few times, my shots turn out just very slightly off the horizontal or vertical.

Originally posted by TME

This one got spirit level or not? I am very poor at straight lines and leveling my own tripod. A few times, my shots turn out just very slightly off the horizontal or vertical.

Nope...the spirit level can be found on the tripod, i.e. 055 Pro; the 141 Pan head doesn't have one.

Originally posted by AdamGoi

Nope...the spirit level can be found on the tripod, i.e. 055 Pro; the 141 Pan head doesn't have one.

I see. What about those with 3 spirit levels for all 3 directions? Are these on the tripod or on the pan heads?

BTW, I like your title: UN Chief Moderator!! So non-sequitur!

Status
Not open for further replies.