what best DSLR deal on used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember we are not comparing MF here, but dslr. Look at the noise level on a D40, A350 (both uses CCD) and compare the noise on a old 450D in high ISO. And you would understand why I choose the latter. Every technology have it's lifestyle, and currently more dslr manufacturers are researching on CMOS than the CCD.

Given the current trend, I don't see in the near future the ISO performance of CMOS would be overtaken by CCD :think:

I will end my argument here. Don't see a point. We are talking at different levels here, apples and oranges.

ISO performance of CCD is still better than CMOS at this point in time. Just that it is not being used in the DSLR level that's all. I am just responding to your initial sweeping statement that CMOS is better than CCD, which it is clearly not the case.

No doubt CMOS is closing the gap, it has by no means overtaken CCD. For the DSLR realm, there is more development on the CMOS due to cost considerations. That doesn't mean CCD technology is inferior to CMOS technology.

Comparing absolute sensors between specific models is not a fair comparison of the technology itself, when the models are aimed at different markets with different price points. You pay for what you get.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Pentax K100D. Very good high-ISO performance, and in-body image stabilizer. I've seen them go for under $300 sometimes.. (the K100D has better ISO 1600 performance than the K10D, which has the same sensor as the D200 -- but that's partly because the K100D is only 6MP and the K10D is 10MP)

Reality is, under ISO 400 all circa-2002 or newer DSLR's will perform well, and beyond your capability as a photographer. And don't spend too much on the body, you want some good lenses too. So get the cheapest body you can get.

I will end my argument here. Don't see a point. We are talking at different levels here, apples and oranges.

ISO performance of CCD is still better than CMOS at this point in time. Just that it is not being used in the DSLR level that's all. I am just responding to your initial sweeping statement that CMOS is better than CCD, which it is clearly not the case.

No doubt CMOS is closing the gap, it has by no means overtaken CCD. For the DSLR realm, there is more development on the CMOS due to cost considerations. That doesn't mean CCD technology is inferior to CMOS technology.

Comparing absolute sensors between specific models is not a fair comparison of the technology itself, when the models are aimed at different markets with different price points. You pay for what you get.

I would end this discussion on this as well, the TS was asking for "what best DSLR deal on used market?"[/I]. Unless he/she is going for the Nikon's older Dx series which uses CMOS. Currently most dslr with the CCD sensors be it entry to pro level, all have poorer noise control as their CMOS counterpart (please correct me if there is a dslr model which uses CCD and have better noise performance than a similar CMOS sensor). :think:

What's on paper remains on paper, because beside the sensor other components in the dslr play a part too. The bottom line is that more dslr research dollars is being pumped into CMOS than CCD now.

Status
Not open for further replies.