what best DSLR deal on used market?

Status
Not open for further replies.

repairedlens

Deregistered
Jul 18, 2009
Hi all,

I would like to get a good image quality DSLR from used market, what would you recommend? let's say budget $500. I would like the image good for some stock photo submission.

I am thinking about PENTAX since it is cheaper but good quality.. which model you would recommend? I notice that some camera like Nikon D100 or D70 had been considered too noisy and way outdated in image quality, as comparing with available cameras..

any good model with good price in used market? thanks.

Agree. Probably you can try a used Nikon D40. I find its noise acceptable.

I would advise going with a dslr with CMOS instead of CCD instead. IMHO the noise control at higher ISO is better. :think:

anyone has experienced of PENTAX k100d or k200d?

u can try canon 20D . excellent cam.

u can get Sony A300 .. best Cam for $500

i second the canon20d. acceptable noise up to iso1600 imo...:thumbsup:

I would advise going with a dslr with CMOS instead of CCD instead. IMHO the noise control at higher ISO is better. :think:

CMOS better than CCD?? Time to read instead of listening to all the hype out there.

Traditionally CCD is the better performing choice, while CMOS is cheaper to manufacture. The switch to CMOS by manufacturers is not a performance based decision, but a cost basted decision.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I would like to get a good image quality DSLR from used market, what would you recommend? let's say budget $500. I would like the image good for some stock photo submission.

I am thinking about PENTAX since it is cheaper but good quality.. which model you would recommend? I notice that some camera like Nikon D100 or D70 had been considered too noisy and way outdated in image quality, as comparing with available cameras..

any good model with good price in used market? thanks.

$500 will get you cameras you referred to as too noisy and way outdated. Personally, I found them to be fine.

Last edited:
CMOS better than CCD?? Time to read instead of listening to all the hype out there.

Traditionally CCD is the better performing choice, while CMOS is cheaper to manufacture. The switch to CMOS by manufacturers is not a performance based decision, but a cost basted decision.

Haha.. that why the mention of "IMHO" was in my previous statement. Personally I don't think it's only a cost issue. currently beside new entry level dslr all other dslr uses CMOS or MOS as their sensors. :think:

CMOS is faster in image capture (for higher fps), as indicate in some of Canon's higher range PnS. :bsmilie:

Haha.. that why the mention of "IMHO" was in my previous statement. Personally I don't think it's only a cost issue. currently beside new entry level dslr all other dslr uses CMOS or MOS as their sensors. :think:

CMOS is faster in image capture (for higher fps), as indicate in some of Canon's higher range PnS. :bsmilie:

Entry level DSLR are using CCD because these are old sensor designs still in production. Entry level cameras usually get the older trickled down sensors from older higher end models. Manufacturers only recently switched to CMOS, and the entry level cameras are still using these older CCD sensors.

In theory CCD performs better with less noise. while CMOS is better in power efficiency and is easier to make. This CCD advantage over CMOS is inherent in the way each is designed. You can read the link I provided, or any other literature out there.

CMOS is cheaper to manufacture, and now that CMOS can achieve comparable results in performance, all the major manufacturers are switching over, for ease and cost efficiency in the manufacturing process. Why are the more mainstream camera makers switching to CMOS? because it is cheaper and means more profits and more ability to compete. If you look at the super high end camera makers (not Nikon Canon or Sony etc, but Phase One, Leaf.. etc..), they are still CCD without compromise.

It has nothing to do with faster fps, better ISO performance or better IQ. If you want an article that is easier to read, here it is

"CCDs, though eclipsed long ago for use as memory devices, and needing additional off-chip processing circuitry, are still in use at the high end of image capture, including in all medium format digital backs. The reason for this is their superior image quality. They have the potential for greater light sensitivity, lower noise and higher dynamic range. This is not to say that there aren't CMOS cameras that are capable of very good, even excellent performance in these areas. But, one has to ask why companies like Phase One, Leaf, Hasselblad / Imacon, and various military and scientific applications prefer to use CCD chips, in spite of their higher costs, greater power needs and other drawbacks. The answer likely comes down to one thing – image quality."

Last edited:
i think let's leave CCD and CMOS aside since it all gots their own supporter..

the reason i mentioned D70 or D100 could have been outdated since i notice that even by seeing with eyes no difference, some stock photo website is quite picky about image quality.. and if i pay like $400(?) to get a D70, maybe i should consider something like pentax k100d that is same price range? but much newer technology?

seriously.. if you want to do stock photos, you either

1) get a good cam
2) get any cam and shoot at iso100 so they can't complain about the noise

you're hoping to catch a whale with a fishing rod, imho.

If you look at the super high end camera makers (not Nikon Canon or Sony etc, but Phase One, Leaf.. etc..), they are still CCD without compromise.

Remember we are not comparing MF here, but dslr. Look at the noise level on a D40, A350 (both uses CCD) and compare the noise on a old 450D in high ISO. And you would understand why I choose the latter. Every technology have it's lifestyle, and currently more dslr manufacturers are researching on CMOS than the CCD.

Given the current trend, I don't see in the near future the ISO performance of CMOS would be overtaken by CCD :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.