What are these strange lines in the skies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 26, 2005
I am reposting this from a Critique Corner, since nobody answered this question hidden at the end of a long thread:

Anybody knows what are those lines in the skies that are clearly visible in a picture below?

I am not sure if the lines were in the skies during the sunset or if they are some kind of optical artifact. Thanks.

The original image:

sulhan

Staff member
May 11, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.md-sulhan.com
HIee...

Not sure if you ae familiar with the term "Land of the Rising sun" the flag of the japanese ships that shows the sun rays which looks like this.

The lines you are seeing is the sun rays as it is blocked by some obstructing opaque or translucent objects like cloud mass peaks of hills or mountain. As the sun is low in the horizon with respect to where you are, these streks are often seen. The streak of light will be more if there are more variations on cloud/ obstruction edges.

Hope this helps.

espion

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2005
shadows cast by clouds

Mar 26, 2005
Thanks to all. This was very informative and I've learned something new.

theRBK

May 16, 2005
aircraft contrails?

tengcc

Jul 31, 2006
I am reposting this from a Critique Corner, since nobody answered this question hidden at the end of a long thread:

Anybody knows what are those lines in the skies that are clearly visible in a picture below?

I am not sure if the lines were in the skies during the sunset or if they are some kind of optical artifact. Thanks.

The original image:

Thats my fart!!! :bsmilie: :bigeyes: :think:

gutsmer

Jan 27, 2007
www.flickr.com

The original image:

Are you using SLR? Looks like strands of hair on your ccd? Not sure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom