Was the 5D deal too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballwackers

Apr 19, 2007
Upper Bukit Timah
Yesterday I think I saw a post that offered brand new Canon 5D, MkI in the box, for $900. I noticed that the poster was a newbie and had already unregistered. Now i cannot find the post.

Was I on drugs and imagining this or was it a hoax?

oh, and is a 5D that much better than a 40D ... so much so that i would clear our my entire inventory and upgrade (and certainly annoy my wife in the process).

I shot everything, but normally landscapes more than sports

thanks!

caveat emptor..if its too good to be true.. it probably is.. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

but sometimes theres really good deal.. (eg. sometimes airtickets can even go for $0.. just need to pay airport taxes)...do your research before committing... anyway.. And if they ask for payment before you actually receive the goods.. its most probably scam..

Yesterday I think I saw a post that offered brand new Canon 5D, MkI in the box, for $900. I noticed that the poster was a newbie and had already unregistered. Now i cannot find the post.

Was I on drugs and imagining this or was it a hoax?

oh, and is a 5D that much better than a 40D ... so much so that i would clear our my entire inventory and upgrade (and certainly annoy my wife in the process).

I shot everything, but normally landscapes more than sports

thanks!

It was the standard hoax, as can be found spamming your mailbox, spamming all forums, etc. I sincerely hope you did not actually fall for the oldest trick in the (web) book. ;)

Oh yes, it bloody was.

Didn't you notice that the seller was deregistered immediately, and there was no contact details on the ad except for a website address? Of late, this kind of ads have been around about once a week.

Those are standard scams, where the sellers will call and try to sell use useless accesories at exorbitant prices once you placed the order. If you don't buy them they'd probably say that the price mentioned was only for camera body and you need to pay for battery, strap, CDs etc. Or else, they'd back order and keep you waiting forever unless you give up and want a refund, for which they won't be in too much of a hurry. Google "brooklyn camera stores" and check out what comes up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.