Was I bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terence said:
I think it's been made pretty clear that an honest mistake was made and the reasons have been made known to Benign why it's wrong to feed the ducks. In fact, I myself learnt a couple of things from reading this thread.

Benign has agreed that he is in the wrong and will try to right the situation by apologizing to the couple should he see them next time. I think that's the best solution. So we can all now take a collective deep breath and relax.

I don't mind now that you put it in THAT way.

(but it isn't an "honest mistake". It's about someone doing something that's not good, being told why it's bad, and then still justifying his actions because it gives him pleasure; and then still ask for an apology..... mmm, clever....)

Sorry Kah heng, my playful statement of 'apologies' got you in the lurch. :confused:

I meant no harm to the old couple, it is just that they pressed their buttons too much and I was not in a mood to entertain nor the pleasure of sharing their pressing thoughts.

I do sincerely wish to apologise to the old couple, if I do catch up with them. But I will try to explain on how much joy I felt in feeding birds and the thoughts of not wasting food unnecessarily.

Guess we all have different upbringings. And often failed to 'see' people from different perspectives.

Cheers everyone :cheers:

Sincerely,
Benign

Benign said:
Sorry Kah heng, my playful statement of 'apologies' got you in the lurch. :confused:

I meant no harm to the old couple, it is just that they pressed their buttons too much and I was not in a mood to entertain nor the pleasure of sharing their pressing thoughts.

I do sincerely wish to apologise to the old couple, if I do catch up with them. But I will try to explain on how much joy I felt in feeding birds and the thoughts of not wasting food unnecessarily.

Guess we all have different upbringings. And often failed to 'see' people from different perspectives.

Cheers everyone :cheers:

Sincerely,
Benign

B, there's no need for apologies, though it is nice of you to offer.

I wish you well.

Benign, surely there is some conscience in yourself that you know what you did was right (or wrong). By posting this, are you hoping that people would assuage that conscience? Herd mentality maybe.

You've already prepared the excuses (the Italian lady didn't object, you've always been doing it, adrenaline rush, wasted food in pantry). So you're already prepared to make your stand that you weren't wrong in feeding the waterfowl. Obviously.

What's to stop someone from telling you not to do it then? I've been guilty of not stopping my friends from feeding the avian creatures at the local university pond, but if someone stops you from doing it with a fair reason, then I think you should respect their rights to the state of nature which they wish to enjoy. More so that you are (probably) a visitor in their eyes.

Telling them they are near their deathbeds, that is particularly vicious.

There you go, you asked whether you are bad, I say you are. But it is just my opinion. They're like *ssholes, everyone has one.

this morning, while at the community library, an indian lady started talking on her handphone with one hand cupped over her mouth. in the silence of the library, she was 'loud'. i looked at her and she noted. she continued talking. then she stopped. came a ringing tone, she talked again. i walked over to her and told her 'can you pls talk outside the library?' she started to walk towards the exit. I said 'thank you'.

was i being bad?

r32 said:
Benign, surely there is some conscience in yourself that you know what you did was right (or wrong). By posting this, are you hoping that people would assuage that conscience? Herd mentality maybe.

You've already prepared the excuses (the Italian lady didn't object, you've always been doing it, adrenaline rush, wasted food in pantry). So you're already prepared to make your stand that you weren't wrong in feeding the waterfowl. Obviously.

There you go, you asked whether you are bad, I say you are. But it is just my opinion. They're like *ssholes, everyone has one.

As r32 said, I would like to see the point of this thread. Are you looking for justifications for your actions or trying to show everyone you're a 'bad' guy?

perhaps this thread should be closed le...

+1...

Case closed, I don't really see the point in continuing this discussion. Perhaps best to lock it Benign.

As r32 said, I would like to see the point of this thread. Are you looking for justifications for your actions or trying to show everyone you're a 'bad' guy?

Well, the truth is to make everyone happy....and I am happy too. :)

Because I do enjoy jogging in that park. No point pxxx off anyone ....later found out my beautiful 'merc' is scratched or smashed rite? Insurance will not pay for it all the time lor.

However, I do regret started the thread........nonetheless, I learnt a good lesson. Think twice before saying or putting anything online or papers. :bsmilie:

Hope it entertained everyone directly or indirectly.....

p/s: u got to admit...u learn a new thing. Dun any how feed wild life or birds....your actions will not only be unappreciated but someone might seized the opportunity to lecture you till the kingdom comes.

I try my best to explain liao,
:devil: at play.

The lecturing from the lady and the impolite reply from you are not really the important consideration here...
The main thing is the feeding of the ducks. As long as you understand that there are bigger issues at stake here than you getting pleasure from feeding animals (such as indirectly harming the ducks) and change your actions accordingly, that's the ultimate good.

but I know also it's difficult to separate personal emotions from logic, so I'm sure alot of us empathise with you in some way.

You should donate $10 to the old & sick in order to redeem your this mistake. ;)

Interesting end-note to this incident (except it happened to me):

I was out at Lamington National Park last night, on a trip organized by the uni photography club, shooting glow worms in a cavern. This is a fairly popular tourist spot, with tour buses clogging the nearby parking lot. Having already been briefed by our trip guide not to use flash, I'd brought along my tripod to take long exposures.

As I was shooting, people were stumbling around in the dark, another group of tourists came in and started taking photos as well. And the average carries an automatic-ish camera which, in pitch black conditions, will flash.

They were led by an Australian, I think he is that group's tour guide, who saw it fit to pick on me (probably because I had the biggest tripod he could see), telling me that:

"You know you're just killing them, taking photos of them?" he says

"No, I'm not using a flash."

"You're just killing them. You won't get a picture anyway." (he has a point here, because when you do use a flash, the little spots of light become indistinct from the walls of the cave)

"I know what I'm doing."

So I showed him what I managed to get. He huffed a bit and went off without any further word.

glow.jpg

The shadows and orange glow comes from the various random flashes and AF assist beams that occured during the 30 second exposure. The cavern is actually pitch-black with no illumination other than the little green LED-looking spots you see in the centre of the frame.

In this day and age, it is quite difficult to stand up for what you know is right and I am sure the old couple must've been quite peeved to take the courage to make a stand and speak to you. I am sure they wouldn't have done it in England, you would probably end up stabbed and in the lake.

I am glad you have posted this as it is informative for a lot of people - I only hope you manage to bump into the old couple again to offer your apologies and to thank them for having the courage to speak up when they see wrong doing.

Too many times people cross to the other side of the street. Maybe if more people spoke out against wrong doers, the world would become a more educated and better place. I am guilty as anyone I am sure.

There's no valid excuse for being rude. Laying the blame (for your actions on your inability to "entertain people") on your emotions is not going to help. It's like the age old cliche of women blaming their emotional outbursts on PMS, and if guys don't like it (I'm assuming you don't either), then do unto others.

I am sure they wouldn't have done it in England, you would probably end up stabbed and in the lake.

Well, I am not surprised that it will happen in the future.

About three years ago, I was doing my usual walk in the same park. Saw an old couple with young lady came running asking for help. I was told the older guy was punched and needed a hp urgently.

Although I din see anything wrong with the old man. So, I had to converse to some Chinese in the park for hp. Police was called. The reason for such a fuss? It was over an unleashed dog. When the call was finished.....I resumed my walk again.

Not far away, I saw an agitated young man with his rottweiler. Looking back and forth. Some how I felt sympathetic toward the young man and his dog. Coz it was a young dog.
And I also know the reason why some people come to the park for a walk or relax at times.....

Some do it for health, other for peace of mind after a hard day at work or over personal issues. In both cases, the older people involved were doing a good cause. No doubt about it, but is this good cause sometimes went too far. Often you know, people who lived in Aust came from different ethnic backgrounds. Very often, sarcastic or racial remarks are added in conversations.

I think minor issues should never get out of hand. If both parties can add some restraints. The world will be a betta place.

If the old couple said there is a fine for feeding ducks or it is not allowed. I would have stop doing what I was doing. Instead it sounded like the 'lecture' of a lifetime. Guess nobody is 'perfect' in this so called 'perfect' world.

Hope I will bump into them and apologise for the things I said. But I also not surprised to find local council or park rangers there more often now. :p The park area is populated with mostly migrants and more than 40% of them are Chinese. Therefore, duck feeding will continue....Not because they dun care about the laws but they are not aware of the consequences from simple things such as feeding the ducks.

Just a thought, if we care so much about the enviroment.....who is the one that consumed most of the world's non-renewable resources? The most civilised and educated people in the world?? :sticktong

Confirmed, I was not born to please......
:devil:

Benign said:
Well, I am not surprised that it will happen in the future.

About three years ago, I was doing my usual walk in the same park. Saw an old couple with young lady came running asking for help. I was told the older guy was punched and needed a hp urgently.

Although I din see anything wrong with the old man. So, I had to converse to some Chinese in the park for hp. Police was called. The reason for such a fuss? It was over an unleashed dog. When the call was finished.....I resumed my walk again.

Not far away, I saw an agitated young man with his rottweiler. Looking back and forth. Some how I felt sympathetic toward the young man and his dog. Coz it was a young dog.
And I also know the reason why some people come to the park for a walk or relax at times.....

Some do it for health, other for peace of mind after a hard day at work or over personal issues. In both cases, the older people involved were doing a good cause. No doubt about it, but is this good cause sometimes went too far. Often you know, people who lived in Aust came from different ethnic backgrounds. Very often, sarcastic or racial remarks are added in conversations.

I think minor issues should never get out of hand. If both parties can add some restraints. The world will be a betta place.

If the old couple said there is a fine for feeding ducks or it is not allowed. I would have stop doing what I was doing. Instead it sounded like the 'lecture' of a lifetime. Guess nobody is 'perfect' in this so called 'perfect' world.

Hope I will bump into them and apologise for the things I said. But I also not surprised to find local council or park rangers there more often now. :p The park area is populated with mostly migrants and more than 40% of them are Chinese. Therefore, duck feeding will continue....Not because they dun care about the laws but they are not aware of the consequences from simple things such as feeding the ducks.

Just a thought, if we care so much about the enviroment.....who is the one that consumed most of the world's non-renewable resources? The most civilised and educated people in the world?? :sticktong

I feel sorry for you that you still try to justify yourself.
Stop trying to find fault with other people and look at yourself first.
you should appreciate the couple actually took the time to explain why it is not good to feed the ducks. do you need to be told that you will be fined before you will stop doing such things? If the duck feeding continues on the part of other people, that's their problem if they don't understand the consequences. Don't try making yourself feel better by using them as a shield for your action

be a man and just admit you were wrong and move on, there's no need to be spiteful and you'll probably be a happier person that way

Benign said:
blablabla bunch of bullshit bullshit bullshit to make me look like i did nothing wrong blabla...

Just a thought, if we care so much about the enviroment.....who is the one that consumed most of the world's non-renewable resources? The most civilised and educated people in the world?

Confirmed, I was not born to please......
:devil:
It would have been nice if you had some restraint yourself even if they were "lecturing" you. The world might not be a better place if you did that but at least you tried, but you didn't, so don't go preaching about world peace and **** if you didn't contribute.

and really, that cheeky "rationalisation" of your actions with an ironic statement is just so sorry, so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.