Warning: Immigration screening at Melbourne, Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had encountered stuff like these at Sydney even though I was travelling with my family.

And I wondered what is it with them when I did my DFS shopping before I went back, the receipt (which they would key in my name, passport number & nationality) which the lady gave me for me to claim my stuff had the wrong nationality (CHINA instead of SINGAPORE).

Went back and politely tried to get her attention when she simply ignored me.

Makes me wonder what's it with some people there who doesn't know the words "Singapore", "Singaporean" or "Republic of Singapore".

P/S: Is there a term known as "Civil Servant" in Australia? Or do Aussies term people working in the Government sector differently?

Officer : "Where are you from, sir?"

Me : "Singapore"...

Officer : "How is the weather in China generally? I am thinking of visiting there sometime soon."

Me : "Huh??"

Though I live in Australia I am not defending the treatment other than to say, "I believe we are more of a target than you".

If you take this as harsh, I apologise that it came across that way.

I don't want for you or ANYBODY to feel that you are scrutinized when simply entering or leaving here.

Though, I "DO" expect it myself and would be feeling unsafe here at home if it was not so.

We have made ourselves one of the major targets, and I am happy for your country that you have not.

:)

The immigration officer went as far as asking me whether I had visited any farm and if so the soles of my shoes might have soils that carried germs. If I answered yes I would have to come home bare feet after having the shoes confisticated. What if I said I swum in the pond in the farm?

They do not confiscate the shoes, they take it to a room where they wash and disinfect your shoes. I've had that happen to me before and so have many of my friends.

Since you hold an Oz passport you should realize the possible consequences to the country's agricultural industry if someone accidentally brings in soil that contains microbes/bacteria foreign to the country. They aren't afraid of the bacteria you commonly pick up from the streets, just those you find on farms.

Officer : "How is the weather in China generally? I am thinking of visiting there sometime soon."

I thought this only happens in the U.S.A :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

_

They do not confiscate the shoes, they take it to a room where they wash and disinfect your shoes. I've had that happen to me before and so have many of my friends.

Since you hold an Oz passport you should realize the possible consequences to the country's agricultural industry if someone accidentally brings in soil that contains microbes/bacteria foreign to the country. They aren't afraid of the bacteria you commonly pick up from the streets, just those you find on farms.

I thought this only happens in the U.S.A :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

_

they actually gas the item. much more thorough than washing and it kills everything on it.

Though I live in Australia I am not defending the treatment other than to say, "I believe we are more of a target than you".

If you take this as harsh, I apologise that it came across that way.

I don't want for you or ANYBODY to feel that you are scrutinized when simply entering or leaving here.

Though, I "DO" expect it myself and would be feeling unsafe here at home if it was not so.

We have made ourselves one of the major targets, and I am happy for your country that you have not.

:)

I wish MY country (Malaysia) were more strict on its border control. Lax enforcement and rampant corruption has made it possible for MILLIONS of illegal Indonesian immigrants to sneak in -and a lot of violent crime is also committed by them :angry:

When the authorities are strict in enforcement, people complain about the inconvenience, but really, its to everyone's benefit and safety.

I am all for strict control and thorough checks, but to be detained for a few HOURS?

It may be an inconvenience for you, but you will get over it. Just think about the other side of the coin. Imagine losing hundreds of loved ones. These families and people will not get over it, it is life changing. Your life being disrupted for a couple of minutes, or even hours is insignificant compared to what could happen.

To answer otherwise is as good as saying, "I failed my Geography." :bsmilie:

I've seen the same thing occur in Singapore.

I am all for strict control and thorough checks, but to be detained for a few HOURS?

The immigration stringent control is good to reduce potential terrorist / threats. However, I will give the country a skip in my next itinery backpack due to too many such "inconvenience".

as in detained for hours?

A well-known Indonesian artist (invited to Singapore by a gallery) was held along with her 3 year old daughter for several hours by Immigration at Harbourfront Center. Finally they were allowed into Singapore. Neither were carrying chewing gum or Cosmopolitan magazine.

Anyway, things can always be worse........you could be a retired British general in London:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,59-2458474,00.html

A well-known Indonesian artist (invited to Singapore by a gallery) was held along with her 3 year old daughter for several hours by Immigration at Harbourfront Center. Finally they were allowed into Singapore. Neither were carrying chewing gum or Cosmopolitan magazine.

any report on this?

jsbn, I was under the impression you are a Malay, is that correct? if so, they now cannot even tell which race typically comes from which part of Asia? I mean for a chinese Singaporean I guess they could confuse with mainland chinese, but a Malay or Indian Singaporean?
Kinda curious, what makes u think I'm a Malay?

Just a question only. :)

Really sorry to hear that and I think your holiday mood must be dented before you even started.....me too was body searched and shoe removed a few times...initially I felt a little angry because out of so many, they randomly picked and when you are a minority, thought like racism will submerge...but then you can't help it...unless you don't travel at all....just thread it as part and parcel of air traveling now and you will feel better....going forward I don't see this system is going to change unless they are more efficient and better method available.

On side note, my company subscribed to "world check" for Terrorist list and Money Launderer list.....there are hundreds of thousands of names in their database and so many carried the same name.....so if you are one of those then good luck....you will definately get special attention and threadment......I am just wondering are immigrations also subscribed to the same kind of services :think:

Melbourne very racist. super bad experience at immigration. any asian going to australia prepared for a beating.

I went to Australia with my wife for 3 months for tour. The immigration officer was damn rude and when I said we were there for 3 months for tour. Immediately, ushered to a special lane. At immigration, only a few asians and lots of ang mohs. All ang mohs went thru no problem. After going into special lane, 2 of us kenna the pasar malam seperately! Kenna search bag, luggage and even read very personal details of my wife diary! asking who is this and that.....i stood up and protested to the immigration officer how can u read people's diary and this ang moh immigration officer yelled at me "SIT DOWN!".

I asked is this required?, they said they wanted to be sure that I did not steal jobs and work as a fruit picker! . I asked them to look at my hands (i am a fat chap) and asked them if i look like a picker - i never even heard of such jobs! even after opening my bag with 2 d70s, 28-70 and 70-200. a few other lenses. They went thru my wallet and saw my gold citibank visa card. asked me how $$$ much on the card.

finally, it was a australian doctor fren who they called and vouched that i was NOT WORKING in australia then they allowed me thru after 2 hours at pasar malam. When i left, another fellow singaporean chinese still there kenna pasar malaam. Damn sad because we are thought to be terrorists!

we were treated my criminals. seriously bad experience going to the down under. unforgettable.

Warning to all going to melbourne australia!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.