Warning: Canon EOS 40D coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadpoet said:
this is about the most absurd reason to choose a camera! definately good for a laugh

It may be absurd to you, and I respect that. You can laugh all you want :bsmilie:

But not to me, and even then, so what ? After all, "Life is full of infinite absurdities, which, strangely enough, do not even need to appear plausible, since they are true." - Pirandello

But no more upgrades for digital to me for a long time anyway, what I have is good enough for work for a long time, and no more interest anyway with today's digital. Will just stick with film for the critical stuff and which gives me more pleasure and involvement.

Another absurdity ? Absolutely, for many. Well, just exercising my privilege, in Thomas' Hobbes words - "The privilege of absurdity, to which no living creature is subject but men only."

well it's kind of amazing that amongst all these megapixel races i'm still using a 4 megapixel camera...

oh well. :p

sequitur said:
well it's kind of amazing that amongst all these megapixel races i'm still using a 4 megapixel camera...

oh well. :p

The funny thing about people is that we are largely motivated by numbers.
Processor Speed, Memory Speed, MegaPixel Race and etc...
Have you ever ask yourself a question of, why do you need the numbers??? Just to tell the one besides you that your camera have 2 MP advantage over his???:think:

devilboy said:
The funny thing about people is that we are largely motivated by numbers.
Processor Speed, Memory Speed, MegaPixel Race and etc...
Have you ever ask yourself a question of, why do you need the numbers??? Just to tell the one besides you that your camera have 2 MP advantage over his???:think:

If one goes for numbers blindly, then that's no good. But generally, for advanced amateurs and pros, numbers mean a lot.

For eg, if u are a casual point-and-shoot person, and you pay $200 more for an 8MP cos you were convinced that it is "better" than a 6MP cam since 8>6 numerically, then that's a fallacious thinking.

But if u are a discerning serious photog, then speed, megapixels etc are serious considerations. U'll never know in future what u are going to do with the images. If you are stuck with say an EOS 1D cam that can only do 4MP, then enlargements of your prints now or in future could already be a problem. Limited cropping of images is another consideration too.

Even if u insist, sometimes it's also not up to you to choose the numbers. As techonology progresses, more megapixels come with faster processing speed and all the good stuffs. And the best part? At a cheaper price than what u could get from outdated DSLRs just some 3 years ago. Even if today they sell a 128MB or 256MB CF card, I wouldn't buy them. Cos a 1GB or 2GB has become so affordable.

The bottonline is, as long as you can afford it, your life style isn't affected, and u dun lose sleep over your upgrading of cams, go for it!

It depends on your focus, I've just swap my 20D to a 1D and am enjoying my shoot more than ever eventhough the megapixel is only 50% of my 20D.....and I shoot alot...averaging maybe 1K per week, even though its just a hobby. I seldom go beyond S12R anyway, plus I like to have absolute control in the settings....anyway, in my heart, I know I'd upgrade one day back to at least 8MP, but am in no hurry, prob in 2 years time, I could get a MkII for what I paid for MkI.....today. Meanwhile I get to enjoy the functions and learn to maximize with whatever MP I have.

clubgrit said:
It may be absurd to you, and I respect that. You can laugh all you want :bsmilie:

But not to me, and even then, so what ? After all, "Life is full of infinite absurdities, which, strangely enough, do not even need to appear plausible, since they are true." - Pirandello

But no more upgrades for digital to me for a long time anyway, what I have is good enough for work for a long time, and no more interest anyway with today's digital. Will just stick with film for the critical stuff and which gives me more pleasure and involvement.

Another absurdity ? Absolutely, for many. Well, just exercising my privilege, in Thomas' Hobbes words - "The privilege of absurdity, to which no living creature is subject but men only."

Humm...would you prefer to walk or take a motorised vehicle say from Ang Mo Kio to Jurong? Personally I think Canon has done a good job in terms of R&D, pressuring the other brands to advance. I will be even happier if Canon release one new model every month. That means the price of the camera will be forced to come down very fast, and will be good for consumers. Nikon user have to thank Canon in certain ways, because of Canon low cost DSLR, that is why Nikon started to produce affordable entry level Nikon DSLR too.

Of course one can choose to remain as a caveman, and be left behind by the world!

3 more days ..

Sure Got 40D bo ???

Sandman77 said:
3 more days ..
Sure Got 40D bo ???

Don't think it's coming this year. So much for internet rumors. :cry:

On the other hand, I am rather pleased by this. I will rather have Canon spend more time to build a better camera with more features than a quick patch-up job. Certainly hope to see improved dynamic range and ISO performance, as Canon promised. :bsmilie: Also, the 40D should have an improved AF module with more AF points, based on past history(http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos30d/). Canon also talked about electronic viewfinders and OLED... let's wait and see what gets implemented.

If one goes for numbers blindly, then that's no good. But generally, for advanced amateurs and pros, numbers mean a lot.

For eg, if u are a casual point-and-shoot person, and you pay $200 more for an 8MP cos you were convinced that it is "better" than a 6MP cam since 8>6 numerically, then that's a fallacious thinking.

But if u are a discerning serious photog, then speed, megapixels etc are serious considerations. U'll never know in future what u are going to do with the images. If you are stuck with say an EOS 1D cam that can only do 4MP, then enlargements of your prints now or in future could already be a problem. Limited cropping of images is another consideration too.

Even if u insist, sometimes it's also not up to you to choose the numbers. As techonology progresses, more megapixels come with faster processing speed and all the good stuffs. And the best part? At a cheaper price than what u could get from outdated DSLRs just some 3 years ago. Even if today they sell a 128MB or 256MB CF card, I wouldn't buy them. Cos a 1GB or 2GB has become so affordable.

The bottonline is, as long as you can afford it, your life style isn't affected, and u dun lose sleep over your upgrading of cams, go for it!

true in a way... but my 1D RAW files that i have can be upressed to 11mp in ACR... with no much issues.. so can lah.. old tech not necessarily bad.. of course the noise is quite cannot make it... haha

the time has passed .... still no new announcements ... maybe 40D Mar 07?

i am still using my 10D and i cannot see a reason that makes it worthwhile for me to upgrade to a 30D. yes. the image maybe cleaner in terms of noise.

But everytime i am tempted to upgrade, i will ask myself 1 question.

what is it that i can do with the 30D that i cannot do with the 10D?

then i have my answer.

i am still using my 10D and i cannot see a reason that makes it worthwhile for me to upgrade to a 30D. yes. the image maybe cleaner in terms of noise.

But everytime i am tempted to upgrade, i will ask myself 1 question.

what is it that i can do with the 30D that i cannot do with the 10D?

then i have my answer.

Spot metering and a bigger screen! haha... I also use the same question, but it also involved "What do I need in the 30D that the 300D doesn't have?". I always convince myself that buying another body is unnecessary for me. As my 300D had a problem last week, I've been considering buying another. Just waiting for a good excuse.

Spot metering and a bigger screen! haha... I also use the same question, but it also involved "What do I need in the 30D that the 300D doesn't have?". I always convince myself that buying another body is unnecessary for me. As my 300D had a problem last week, I've been considering buying another. Just waiting for a good excuse.

but then you can live on without a bigger screen and without spot metering as well. ;p

i will rather save up $$$ and get some good lens. hope your 300D issue will be solved soon. :thumbsup:

1 more day .. how ?

guys, photokina is up and running already. tis pretty much confirmed there are no more bodies to be announced this year... so the rumour mill can now shut down till first quarter of next year.

my uncle works for canon singapore, he told me 40d will come out.... soon

my uncle works for canon singapore, he told me 40d will come out.... soon

then you never ask him about the launch of the 1D mark3 and the rumoured new L lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.