Warning: Canon EOS 40D coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
website states product available before mid oct. OMG.

Static said:
I guess the 40D (wif specs and sensor same as 400D) is to cater for market who prefer bigger camera size. (I cant imagine angmoh wif big fat hands using the tiny 400D)

Already Sony and Nikon has enter the 10MPs entry level DSLR market wif decent cam
Canon wont be comfortable pushing tat market solely wif their 400D.
Actually, I believe the 350D was the top selling dSLR in the world in the past year... LOTS of angmohs swear by it..

clubgrit said:
"a peace of mind that no one could have possibly dropped it before"
:bsmilie: never thought of it that way before ...
:bsmilie: Neither have I until recently, some couple I know wanted to buy a dSLR, but uber-reluctant to buy a 2nd hand one because they're worried that someone dropped it b4...

So ... How ??

I Wanted to buy a 30D this few weeks .. How ??

:p

unseen said:
As for canon users laughing at the A100.. Canon is hurt most by sony..
dSLR market share in July and June, according to Bloomsberg.
Canon 33.3% 51.6% - Canon lost 20%
Nikon 27.4% 32.6% - Nikon lost 5%
Sony 21.6% 2.3% - Sony gained 20%

I guess you never looked at box-office performance of movies. Let me tell you something basic: if you are selling a product, you do not just want a good one-time initial sale. You want good sales figures in the long run.

Let's look at the more important BIG picture:

http://bcnranking.jp/flash/09-00009669.html

Sony jumped up during the month of JULY because the A100 was just launched at that time. If you follow the sales figure after that:

9669-04kisyu.gif

you'll see the Sony numbers falling very QUICKLY while the Canon Rebel and surprisingly, 5D come up strongly particularly in the month of August. This demonstrates why it's more important to look at long term sales.

To be fair, I think this competition is good for everyone. See how quickly the Canon rolls out the 400D and now the 40D. All these products as a response to Nikon, Sony and soon Pentax 10 MP DSLRs. Hopefully, we'll get better featured cameras with falling prices. (Bad for those who plan to buy and sell on a regular basis. :sticktong ) :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

thw said:
Sony jumped up during the month of JULY because the A100 was just launched at that time. If you follow the sales figure after that:

9669-04kisyu.gif

you'll see the Sony numbers falling very QUICKLY while the Canon Rebel and surprisingly, 5D come up strongly particularly in the month of August. This demonstrates why it's more important to look at long term sales.

To be fair, I think this competition is good for everyone. See how quickly the Canon rolls out the 400D and now the 40D. All these products as a response to Nikon, Sony and soon Pentax 10 MP DSLRs. Hopefully, we'll get better featured cameras with falling prices. (Bad for those who plan to buy and sell on a regular basis. :sticktong ) :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
:) Well.. I've not seen any figures for the full month of August, neither have I neglected to note that there will always be hardcore brand fans who'll boost camera sales. Still, whatever it is, for a brand new launch model to steal 20% of a market share IMMEDIATELY, it's still significant enough to make any company panic.
Disagree or not, you'd have to note that to launch a new product.. it's unlikely to be be at short notice. You'll need about 2 months of reaction time (to decide/build/document/distribute sufficient product). It's not as if they want to launch a new product in 2 weeks, they press a button it'll happen.
(ok, so most likely it's what happens at Nikon anyway, resulting in worldwide shortage of new products for a few months, but from past experience, that's not how Canon does things).

Box office is different from product sales. If for once people buy a product, they're likely to stick to the brand (brand loyalty). Once you lose a fresh new face, there's significantly lower chance that you can get it back. Just like printers.. it's not a matter of the price of the printers, it's through the price of the accessories that they're making the money back. dSLR.. I'm sure every experienced dSLR user has spent much more on accessories than on their body.

For a "leading edge technology" company to be perceived to have lost the plot/lost the edge.. it'll take ALOT more to gain back public confidence.

panzerpunk said:
Regretting buying a 400D now? :bsmilie:

not at all. :D i won't be able to afford the 40D or the cheaper 30D as well. haha:sweatsm:

clubgrit said:
Color screens allow me to see the numbers better, in a more pleasing manner, for a more pleasant call and seeing who is calling :) Would you be happy with a monochrome viewfinder ? The same with the ringtones. Now I can program Metallica and AC/DC and Stan Getz and hear a more pleasing ring tone to enhance receiving the call. So it does have something to do with making and receiving calls.

Yes, I know. But there was a point in time where Canon had the cheapest inks of them all, $12 - $20 compared to $50 from the rest, and the ink will only last me 1 week the way my kids print. Now, Canon's prices seem to be about the same as the rest. Anyway, my kids have lost their interest printing too much cartoon stuff.

"a peace of mind that no one could have possibly dropped it before"
:bsmilie: never thought of it that way before ...

hmmm, maybe next strategy ought to be to buy 2 yrs worth of supply of ink first ;p

unseen said:
Still, whatever it is, for a brand new launch model to steal 20% of a market share IMMEDIATELY, it's still significant enough to make any company panic.

True. But note that these are pre-order figures, which is why you have numbers for the month of June even before the item is available. The immediate 20% merely reflects stores stocking up the item for sale. Does it cause panic? Absolutely. The Sony brand name itself is noteworthy enough for shops like Harvey-Norman and Courts to pre-order their items before the item is released for sales. :bsmilie:

unseen said:
For a "leading edge technology" company to be perceived to have lost the plot/lost the edge.. it'll take ALOT more to gain back public confidence.

Were you aware there's a 3-4 year gap between the D100 and D200, and between the D70 and D80 when the company was perceived to have stagnated? It didn't take Nikon a lot to gain back public confidence, huh? ;) I can also tell you that if Nikon releases a FF camera right now, there's a good chance some current Canon FF professionals may just switch back to Nikon 'cos they are so used to Nikon ergonomics from film days.

Even the initial panic when Sony decided to enter the DSLR market is due to its brand name. People will always associate Sony with innovativeness and Nikon with good glass. When I think of Canon, I think of inkjet printers. :bsmilie:

Looking at the 400D and rumored 40D specs, I think Canon is in this stagnation phase now. Fine by me as long as they keep the prices down. ;) Still hoping for wider dynamic range, higher usable ISO (e.g. ISO 6400) and even better AF.

clubgrit said:
This is one reason I stick with Nikon, for DSLR. They are slow to change and deliver, less temptations, gives one more time to master the camera and photography :)

Canon is fast on the draw, I don't know how many Canon printers I've had that got replaced with a new model quickly, or my PNS Canon cameras.
Kinda curious, are u gonna upgrade and buy-buy-buy each time ur current model gets obsoleted? :think:

They always say, "U spend less as u venture deeper into photography." It seems to be the reverse here. :sweat:

jsbn said:
Kinda curious, are u gonna upgrade and buy-buy-buy each time ur current model gets obsoleted? :think:

They always say, "U spend less as u venture deeper into photography." It seems to be the reverse here. :sweat:

Of course not, as I mentioned, up to a point :)

Like with the new releases from Nikon or Canon now, no interest in them at all. But if they come out with a full-frame Nikon DSLR, or other dream features, will have to think hard. If I had unlimited funds, why settle for Nikon or Canon, etc. I'll go buy Hasselblad's DSLR :)

"U spend less as u venture deeper into photography"

Not with DSLR's I guess, which is still in its infancy. Just look at the Marketpace in this forum, it is thriving, very fast moving items. Anybody wants to buy my Nikon NC filters for $50 each ? I'll sell it within an hour I guess, for those replacing their Hoyas.

I am actually concentrating more now in MF. In this sense, I am going deeper, and spending less (just buying used), and getting better quality. It is already almost obsolete, so no obsolescence issues. What more can I ask for ? Convenience of a DSLR, of course.

I tend to agree, the brand name plays a major role. It is essential, and Sony is a major player.

Furthermore, in talking with a Sony executive, Sony really supports their dealers strongly, in marketing etc ...

If it was Casio with a new DSLR, it will not generate the same waves :)

thw said:
True. But note that these are pre-order figures, which is why you have numbers for the month of June even before the item is available. The immediate 20% merely reflects stores stocking up the item for sale. Does it cause panic? Absolutely. The Sony brand name itself is noteworthy enough for shops like Harvey-Norman and Courts to pre-order their items before the item is released for sales. :bsmilie:

thw said:
You do know that Canon did a 180degrees turn on their words and matched A100 and D80 in resolution even when they mentioned that they won't be increasing resolution any further? LOL that itself is enough to show who's panicking. IIRC some industrial observer named the 400D a knee jerk reaction product.

thw said:
Were you aware there's a 3-4 year gap between the D100 and D200, and between the D70 and D80 when the company was perceived to have stagnated? It didn't take Nikon a lot to gain back public confidence, huh? ;) I can also tell you that if Nikon releases a FF camera right now, there's a good chance some current Canon FF professionals may just switch back to Nikon 'cos they are so used to Nikon ergonomics from film days.
LOL you should note that confidence in Nikon is only sky high in Singapore? Erm.. It remains a fact that major press companies are dumping Nikon for Canon already. C and N started out fairly even, but now Nikon dSLR sales are lagging behind Canon by a relatively huge margin in just about every other country in the world, except Singapore. Lots of brand loyalists here.

It only happens that just about every dSLR in the market then was about 5 - 6 MP during the times of the D70.. Nevermind they had to refresh with a D70s to stay alive. If KM, Pentax, Olympus, Matsushita all came out with a 8MP camera 2 years ago, the D80 would have materialised MUCH earlier?
The prosumer dSLR market of D100/D200/30D/20D/7D don't really figure anywhere in sales chart now that there's entry level dSLRs, so..

Professionals are but a small percentage of the actual market. The money to be fleeced from are the lower-end market. The company not to notice it would be the one to die it's horrible death.
Example => How do you think Nokia took over the HP market from the all powerful motorola in the 90s and established itself as one of the more premium brands? It wasn't through the sales of $1k phones, but the cheap and sub-$200 3210 then.

LOL anyway cheers to cheaper products on the whole..

600 can get you a variety of things from small zooms, flash (lower priced ones), accessories, bags etc..

dont think its worth the $ although its nice to have the anti dust function..

FilterFunk said:
600 can get you a variety of things from small zooms, flash (lower priced ones), accessories, bags etc..

dont think its worth the $ although its nice to have the anti dust function..

Hmm actually I might be interested in getting the anti dust... If you like to change your lens very often during shoots and hate using healing brush, why not? But then again $600 can buy other stuff too.

8mp is good enough for A3 prints (but how many of us actually make such prints?). Who knows, the 50D might be a EF-S compatible FF dslr in the future. (swoons)

Status
Not open for further replies.