Warning: Canon EOS 40D coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry i realy cant buy this.
first off, and its been said a million times. 8.2mp to 10mp is nothing to get excited about.
and if the only other difference is anti-dust? well... thats not the best selling point either frankly.

I got a feeling it's coming soon. Nothing to back me up, just basic instinct!

If really launch, I sure upgrade from my good old 10D to 40D! :bsmilie:

clubgrit said:
This is one reason I stick with Nikon, for DSLR. They are slow to change and deliver, less temptations, gives one more time to master the camera and photography :)

Canon is fast on the draw, I don't know how many Canon printers I've had that got replaced with a new model quickly, or my PNS Canon cameras.

sounds like you have very weak willpower that you are unable to resist the temptation to constantly upgrade :bsmilie:

panzerpunk said:
So the question is... Is the Anti-Dust sensor and extra 2mp worth a $600 upgrade?
Also consider the market value.
$600 dosent just buy you the extra 10mp and anti-dust, it buys you market value too.

3D.....where are u?;p

unseen said:
You do know that Canon did a 180degrees turn on their words and matched A100 and D80 in resolution even when they mentioned that they won't be increasing resolution any further? LOL that itself is enough to show who's panicking. IIRC some industrial observer named the 400D a knee jerk reaction product. ..

I think we need to re-read the interview more carefully:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1140633307.html

"IR: The 20D stands as one of the cleanest performing sensors on the market for the money, especially at high ISO. How much of this decision to stick
with the same sensor is related to Canon's tendency to want to keep pixel pitch at an optimum size?

Westfall: Our top priority with every EOS Digital SLR is maximum image quality according to product category. The image qualities of the EOS 30D, 20D and even the EOS Digital Rebel XT remain unsurpassed at their price points. We are always working to advance image quality, but at current technology levels, any reduction in pixel pitch lower than 6.4 microns would result in lower image quality at high ISO speed settings compared to our current design."

A knee-jerk reaction??? Do you seriously think a wafer fab can turn around and mass-produce a new sensor within 6 months without proper re-designing and careful testing? I bet the 10 MP Canon sensor was already under development when the interview was carried out. Who knows... perhaps there were hiccups at the development stage which led to the release of the 8 (instead of 10) MP Canon 30D??? Westfall's reply in the interview was rather vague: at CURRENT technology levels, blah, blah, blah.

unseen said:
LOL you should note that confidence in Nikon is only sky high in Singapore?
Erm.. It remains a fact that major press companies are dumping Nikon for Canon already. C and N started out fairly even, but now Nikon dSLR sales are lagging behind Canon by a relatively huge margin in just about every other country in the world, except Singapore. Lots of brand loyalists here.

I hope you realize that as a Canon user, I cannot say what you just said without getting hammered by Nikon supporters here. :bsmilie:

But I will honestly say the Nikon D80 is in many ways much better than the Canon 400D (no reliable info on high ISO tests yet but at least in terms of features). IMHO, the lower end Canon DSLRs (350D and 400D) are very much motivated/inspired by similar Nikon (D70 and D50) products. This is why I believe Nikon has not really lost the market's confidence.

unseen said:
It only happens that just about every dSLR in the market then was about 5 - 6 MP during the times of the D70.. Nevermind they had to refresh with a D70s to stay alive. If KM, Pentax, Olympus, Matsushita all came out with a 8MP camera 2 years ago, the D80 would have materialised MUCH earlier?

Now that you've brought up the provocative stuff... :bsmilie:

Yes, the long lag in Nikon's development is due mostly to the fact they are at the mercy of Sony sensors. At that time, Minolta and Pentax could NOT have released an 8MP DSLR before Nikon since they ALL share the same sensor supplier.

unseen said:
Professionals are but a small percentage of the actual market.

True, professionals only make a small percentage. But their presence inspires confidence in the ordinary consumers. I am one good example. ;) I look at Canon's 16 MP FF 1DsMkII and 8 MP, 8 fps 1DMkII, and I know that if Canon has the ABILITY to lead in the professional field, they will surely have the edge in technology over their competitors. I look at the number of international news reporters and international sports shooters using Canon, and I know it's safe for me to invest in Canon stuff. :bsmilie: This is why Canon better release an impressive 1Ds MkIII upgrade. :sweat:

The low-end market is naturally the most important in terms of profit. But the high-end market is most important in terms of brand recognition and prestige. MANY people still buy according to brand name, you know?

Hmmm.....Another new model 1.6xLF dslr on the way ??? Its rather tempting honestly to me,:cry: But I guess I will just have to resist the urge to change and stick with my trusty 20D.
I will be saving all the money for this upgrades for the ultimate leap into FF DSLR and use the 20D as a 2nd body.:D

thw said:
I hope you realize that as a Canon user, I cannot say what you just said without getting hammered by Nikon supporters here. :bsmilie:
LOL well it's nothing but the truth. That's why D70s' tagline is "Best selling dSLR in Singapore". Many people tend to miss that out. LOL I'm a avid Canon user myself, I see nothing wrong with speaking the truth. :)
As for the sensors.. er.. it's pretty obvious that Canon can long produce much higher MP count sensors for a long time. I'm not surprised if they can already push out 12/16/20MP sensors if such a need exists. All current technology that we're using are pretty much at least a year old technology from R&D. :) They push it out when they see market need.
You know panasonic's dSLR? I've a couple of friend who had test drove it more than a year ago already. ;) and it's just launched recently. Motorola/Nokia/Samsung HPs.. I've other friends who have been using/testing HPs released 2-3 weeks ago for about 3-6 months already.

company's technology is always ahead of the market's technology. why? they want to clear their old stocks and build up a brand name first.

the same applies to the computer arena. where C2D conroe is making such a scene here. kentsfield is already out and sent as engineering samples to testers already.

conroe dual core
kentsfield quad core

Just my personal opinion. The company that wins will be the one that can bring to market what the consumer will buy. In this respect I think Canon has already done so. Nikon has come up with a good product in the D80 but in the longer run it can't match Canon's continual rollout of new models (for better or worse). As I see it, the D80 just replaced the D70s in the middle range line-up, which was long overdue. So even if the EOS400 is a stopgap model to match the Sony and D80 or is a replacement for the EOS350, in the eyes and minds of many consumers, there will still be great interest in it and the Sony over the D80 because of PRICE and FEATURES and AVAILABILITY.

I was shopping for a DSLR for my nephew at Comex and even though I've got some Nikon stuff to pass to him and could have just bought him a D50, I got him... the EOS400 instead. As much as the D80 was nice to hold and offered good performance, my maxim was to spend the least amount of money to get the blend of performance. The Sony was just as tempting and I just might get it for myself later.

There is no need to turn all threads which irk you all pugnacious and acrimonious. Its destroying the harmony here. Yes, yes you argue the best. We all bow to you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Have mercy! You can win all the arguments online! Yay. :thumbsup:

(no reference to anyone i.e. "You" in particular)

well, if they do release it... it will be abrave decision on their part, because no one who buys a canon can ever be assured of their lifespan of their bodies.. as the previous 2 year rule has clearly falled by the wayside.

panzerpunk said:
Why isn't it a 4D or possibly a 6D?

I have a feeling the new 1.6X camera is a 36D
interim model btw 30D and 40D, just a thought though.........:sweat:

if u look at the eos 350d name, you will know it sounds a bit weird

then when the eos 400d came out, on hindsight, then all at once it explains why the 350d name sounds weird. because 350d is sandwiched between 300d and 400d ie 300<350<400.

then again, when the eos 20d came out, i also sensed then the name sounded weird. because in the film days there was never a canon camera with even number first digit for the name. then when the 30d came out - all became clear because 10d < 20d < 30d.

so you can tell roughly by the name whether it is going to be a longstanding model or just a temporary surprise attack with minor upgrades.

user111 said:
if u look at the eos 350d name, you will know it sounds a bit weird

then when the eos 400d came out, on hindsight, then all at once it explains why the 350d name sounds weird. because 350d is sandwiched between 300d and 400d ie 300<350<400.

then again, when the eos 20d came out, i also sensed then the name sounded weird. because in the film days there was never a canon camera with even number first digit for the name. then when the 30d came out - all became clear because 10d < 20d < 30d.

so you can tell roughly by the name whether it is going to be a longstanding model or just a temporary surprise attack with minor upgrades.

Would there be a possibility that we have a 425D or 412.5D soon?
That is sandwiched between the 400D and 450D? :bsmilie:

Hoky said:
Would there be a possibility that we have a 425D or 412.5D soon?
That is sandwiched between the 400D and 450D? :bsmilie:
How about an EOS 2.5D? Sandwich between EOS 1D and EOS 5D. :bsmilie:

Garion said:
How about an EOS 2.5D? Sandwich between EOS 1D and EOS 5D. :bsmilie:

that is the 3D isn't it?

spartacus.ret said:
that is the 3D isn't it?
Should be lor, since there is already a film EOS 3. Long awaited by many Canonians liao. Still no sign. :(

I hope if there is one, it can at least equal to or blow the D200 out of the water for specs, performance and IQ wise. At least a true 'minituarised' 1D, just like the D200 is a miniature D2x. 30D is a huge disappointment.

That's super fast!
GOOD GOOD GOOD! faster faster!!! more more more! go go go!! YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.