Verge of quitting photography. HELP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
WA! secondary sch can buy dslr liao?? time changes!! show your parents that u can concentrate and balance your studies and hobbies!! good luck to you!!

As all of you guys know, December is coming to an end, which means school is about to start. I have been into photography since November.
Right now, I study in st. Joseph's institution and I am going to be sec2 in 2011. However, my parents are urging me to quit and drop photography because they said I had to concentrate on my subjects, as well as my rugby cca.
I really enjoy photography but they just would not accept the fact that I am a photographer. Hell, I can't even tell them I don't use auto anymore like they do. I mean, it's like I have been doing this hobby for a month and they are telling me to quit?
Do I really need to drop this? :dunno: Helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Peace out.

Hi,

It's nice to see youth at loss asking for advises here. I am sure you will be able to gather some useful and meaningful suggestions. My suggestions as follows:

1) I think photography is a healthly hobby. You should explain to yours parents besides rugby you also can have a second hobby. In fact sports and photography makes good combination.

2) Secondly, I think your parents are worried about the costs of photography as a hobby. They might worry whether they could sustain your hobby or not due to it's cost. But I think photography doesn't cost much, at least for a start don't try get expensive stuffs to buy buy buy, you should concentrate on basic stuffs first.

3) Lastly, try to assure them, that photography won't affect your studies. Whatever it is, studies come first don't let any other negative things affects your studies. Tell them you can do your hobby after exams.

Photography is a healthy hobby. It cultivates your concentrations and personal development.

Don't give up easily :)

WA! secondary sch can buy dslr liao?? time changes!! show your parents that u can concentrate and balance your studies and hobbies!! good luck to you!!

Ps OT abit , I even saw a pri sch girl holding a dslr . So shocking !

whats so surprising? i held my first digi camera back in year 2000. those were the days when sony made this diskette cameras...:) it was my sch's and i was p1;)

held the 300d/350d when i was p4... so thats 2004?:bsmilie:

also OT abit
when i was on trip to beijing i saw a primary school girl holding a 7D with L lens while her father with a 1D :bsmilie: not surprising le in today's world, nowadays kid are very fortunate not like our days :bsmilie:

also OT abit
when i was on trip to beijing i saw a primary school girl holding a 7D with L lens while her father with a 1D :bsmilie: not surprising le in today's world, nowadays kid are very fortunate not like our days :bsmilie:

I believe if that the child is really interested in the art, then starting from young is something good.

hi i started photography in sec 1 and have been doing it for nearly 5 years now.

actually my mum gave me the idea of joining it as a CCA and my parents were initially quite supportive (they bought me my first camera). it was by 2nd CCA though, as i was also in scouts. but they didnt really expect that i would be that involved in photography and got quite reluctant to help me out in terms of things like letting me buy more equipment (even with my own money) etc. i think they were afraid i might give it up later on

for me, my studies come first and if exams are coming, i know i need to put away photography for a while. also, i began using photography in scouts by covering camps and stuff. perhaps it might not work for your rugby but i know a lot of PE teachers (mostly ex players) who cover sports meets/competitions

also, if photography really means a lot to you, show your parents that. my photography mentor in sec 1 told me that he convinced his parents to buy him a camera by the hours that he spent in the dark room every week. for me, it was joining the exco of my school's photography cca and not just shooting, but teaching photography and planning things related to it.

all the best! and if your parents insist, it's really worth listening to them. but dont forget to pick up your camera whenever you can and later on as well

Hey TS. I'm currently a year one polytechnic student.
I understand what you are feeling through right now. My parents were initially a little apprehensive about me picking up photography as a hobby, but I showed them I could manage my studies and my hobby at the same time, I could leave my camera untouched in the dry cabinet for 2-3 weeks untouched to prepare for my main exams.

And I joined the school's photography club, and went on regular outings with my kaki's and at the same time, gained valuable advice and improved my skills. I have started close to a year now, don't worry too much TS, perhaps your parents just wanted to you to understand time management? I'm sure they would gladly oblige if you find time, to sit down and have a chat with them :)

Will work hard next year, the year after will be important as I have to get good results so my dad could buy me my favorite car, an Intergra Type R with 30K worth of mods.

Get your license first. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Don't show that you are very much into photography at this moments, bcos ur parents worry that you might get distracted and will not concentrate well in ur studies.

So try not to talk too much about taking pics or going out for photo shoots at this point. But bring ur camera along where ever you go and try to take as many good shots as ur can and share them with ur parents.

Try to take pics during any family outings or weddings of ur relatives. Then others will say good about ur good pics which might change ur parent's mind and they will not force u to quit.

But all this takes time, it is very diff to change the mindset of elders and try not to offend them.

Patience and determination will get u to ur destination on time.

Just my small advice only. Try it and u may not be disappointed after all.

Merry XMas and God bless u child.

TS, How are your grades? I ask because most parents get worried when grades start dropping.

My advice is to get your grades up if they are not good or mediocre. Show your parents that you are capable of time management on your own.

Remember, no matter what, your first priority now is your studies. If you cannot even do that well, everything else have to take a back seat.

Not really, they just told me that I should give some attention to studies cuz I've not been studying through the 2 mths of hols

As all of you guys know, December is coming to an end, which means school is about to start. I have been into photography since November.
Right now, I study in st. Joseph's institution and I am going to be sec2 in 2011. However, my parents are urging me to quit and drop photography because they said I had to concentrate on my subjects, as well as my rugby cca.
I really enjoy photography but they just would not accept the fact that I am a photographer. Hell, I can't even tell them I don't use auto anymore like they do. I mean, it's like I have been doing this hobby for a month and they are telling me to quit?
Do I really need to drop this? :dunno: Helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Peace out.
run away from your home.

My grades? Above average, I'm getting around 10/32 in class ranking

I don't think you need to spend hours and hours consecutively on photography. If your mind is creative enough, your skills are there, it doesn't take alot of time to capture something simple and beautiful pictures. Unless you are into wildlife, then you might need to spend hours to wait for them to appear.

If photography is disruptive to academic then schools will not have photography clubs in the first place.

It's all about effective use of time.

Don't give up on your hobby, but in the meantime, don't compromise your education and social/school life. Your education is a ticket to a higher paycheck, which would fund your passion :)

I don't think you need to spend hours and hours consecutively on photography. If your mind is creative enough, your skills are there, it doesn't take alot of time to capture something simple and beautiful pictures. Unless you are into wildlife, then you might need to spend hours to wait for them to appear.

If photography is disruptive to academic then schools will not have photography clubs in the first place.

It's all about effective use of time.
True. But how can I prove to my parents that I can use my time effectively and juggle ccas, photography and studies?

True. But how can I prove to my parents that I can use my time effectively and juggle ccas, photography and studies?

Give them an ultimatum. If you can't achieve a certain grades or maintain a certain standard, you will shelve your photography hobby for a few years. It's hard, but they meant well too.

Personally, I'm working full-time, studying part-time degree and have to juggle my social life and photography.Bulk of my time is spent on things that matter, work, studies and social life, and for photography, i spend not more than 6hrs on the field per week and i restrict myself on reading photography related articles/forums on weekend and during transit. It's life, deal with it :)

Time management and prioritise. The answers are already in your mind, sit down calm your mind and think.

Status
Not open for further replies.