Verge of quitting photography. HELP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
My advice is to use a compact camera. Drop in in your bag and carry it wherever you go. You can shoot with it whenever you find anything interesting. This will definitely not affect your studies.

Give them an ultimatum. If you can't achieve a certain grades or maintain a certain standard, you will shelve your photography hobby for a few years. It's hard, but they meant well too.

Personally, I'm working full-time, studying part-time degree and have to juggle my social life and photography.Bulk of my time is spent on things that matter, work, studies and social life, and for photography, i spend not more than 6hrs on the field per week and i restrict myself on reading photography related articles/forums on weekend and during transit. It's life, deal with it :)
If it's meant for my own good, maybe I can try that. So there, I told them if I was 10 or below in class ranking for term 1's common test, I can continue my photography. I also explained to them what photography meant to me and I didn't want to drop it just yet. So all I had to do was concentrate on my studies. Top 10?! I will try my best.
Thanks for all your helpful advice csers, Wish me luck :)
Peace out.

Don't drop it completely.

I started serious photography just after poly and before NS, had lots of time for it during NS, just ORDed and studying in uni now, hardly any time to dish it out unless I have completed my work or there isn't an exam for some time.

Keep it aside. Enjoy it during your free time.

Imo there's no such thing as quitting this hobby, it isn't like fishing or playing golf :)

I personally feel that it all voice down to self-control and time management. In this season of your life, part of your goals is to study well and achieve good results. Do your best and all these knowledge which you gained in school will serve you well in many aspects of your life in the future.

So the key things now is to ask yourself the following:

1. So what's occupying your mind most the time? Is it your camera or your school books? If it is the former then perhaps you should really listens to your parents and cold storage your camera. Photography should not be your main priority now since you have a lifetime to learn it. Whereas, for 'O' level, it is only in this season that you have a chance to go through. Once your missed this boat or caused it to capsized, you will regret in the future.

2. However, if you are those with strong self-control - meaning you are able to chart out your time properly e.g. study on weekdays, photography on weekend. And really able to focus on study when you need to focus. Then you need to prove it in a respectful way to your parents. Show them your results. Study not because your parents want you to do so, but study because it is your responsibility to do so. And study to the best of your abilities. And use your camera to serve your family too. Think of way of how you can shoot nice photos of your family to honour them. However, it do take time to convince your parents so do it slowly and respectfully...

You all make taking photos sound like it's 24/7.

How much time does it take to take a photo? 3 hours? Tsk.

Photography may indeed be 24/7... Though may not be in the case of physically taking photos but keep on thinking about it... At least for beginner like me... thinking of things to read up, better lens to buy, flash photography... so many things...

If it's meant for my own good, maybe I can try that. So there, I told them if I was 10 or below in class ranking for term 1's common test, I can continue my photography. I also explained to them what photography meant to me and I didn't want to drop it just yet. So all I had to do was concentrate on my studies. Top 10?! I will try my best.
Thanks for all your helpful advice csers, Wish me luck :)
Peace out.

class rankings also depends on which class you are in, and also which school. Might be an inaccurate assessment of the status of your studies.

In the end, do you think you are doing good in your studies? If you think above average is good enough then good for you. Personally I do not think above average is good enough. Personally I would strive to get myself at least into the top 25 percentile in Singapore.

When you are a student, your first priority is to study. And studying do not take up 100% of your time. Once you have done what you need to do in your studies, you can leave the spare time to do other activities like photography and rugby.

2 months without preparation for the next year is a long time away from the books.

Last edited:
As long as it's time for you to study, I guess you have to to do. So what's the big deal of you shooting in manual mode if you fail your exams? You may be good at photography but you aren't making a living out of it. No need to be so serious. You can shoot whenever you like during the school holiday.

In order to perform better in studies, sports, career, love life, family relationships, etc, you need the finer things (photography as a form of art) in life to keep you in check/balance.

I would continue to do it secretly without them knowing. But at the same time manage my own time and studies well.
Parents gave me live, but I live my life.

In order to perform better in studies, sports, career, love life, family relationships, etc, you need the finer things (photography as a form of art) in life to keep you in check/balance.

I would continue to do it secretly without them knowing. But at the same time manage my own time and studies well.
Parents gave me live, but I live my life.
Wow. that was certainly inspirational and well put, but secretly? I'm not so 'addicted' to phototgraphy until I must do it secretly :D

Anyway, I will look forward to the finer things in my life ;)

Thanks

Wow. that was certainly inspirational and well put, but secretly? I'm not so 'addicted' to phototgraphy until I must do it secretly :D

Anyway, I will look forward to the finer things in my life ;)

Thanks

TS, I guess we can't hit the books all the time, we need a "distraction". That said, its always a tricky balancing game for us not to use the "finer things" to excuse us from studies, and worse still, if it becomes an obsession.

Realistically, I tend to agree with those who stated that hobbies can be stopped and picked up later. Hence, the reason why CCAs are generally stopped the latest around July for final year students (N/O/A levels). However, before that, its just a matter of whether you have some free time which you can set aside and do something u want. You can choose to watch spongebob square pants or u can nua on your bed or play some facebook games, but that's about the same as if you choose to walk out to shoot.

Therefore, time is not an issue. When you can afford it, it becomes a matter of whether u want to do it or not. Ultimately, as most parents will say, studies come first. Yes you can go full time in photography, but picking it back after exams is no issue. After all it is always good to score a little better and open up our options in life. The more path we can choose to take, makes our lives easier (though some may contest that). We can choose a path that suits us better, studying is not necessarily the only path to a fulfilling life, but it certainly opens up our choices. Photography, well, you can see it as a passion to fulfill your life or one day it might be a ricebowl, who knows.

However, I think precisely because "who knows" that is why it would be good to study first. If there is free time, why not go out for a while to shoot?

sigh. what happened to the good old days. my parents let me try new stuff quite a lot. and as most have said, the key thing is to prove to your folks that you can manage your studies as well.

back in school (and shall not say which one) i juggled a part-time job which i worked at 6 days a week, a club presidency, doing photography for my faculty and school work/projects, and martial arts training 2 to 3 times a week.

and i still graduated with my peers.

the key thing here is to show them you can plan your time well. and get the grades.

Most of the time when I don't have my camera with me and I see something nice, I would just picture how I would capture it. If you are really keen on it, you can record these down and then actually take the photo when you are free (like after exams, during holidays etc). I don't think photography is all about taking your camera out wherever you go, sometimes you get too excited and just shoot without really thinking much, so it's probably better to plan out some shots before shooting them instead of going out to shoot aimlessly. You don't have to juggle all (studies, rugby, photography) at the same time.

Also, you must understand what your parents are stopping you from doing photography for. If it's purely because they are worried that you would get too distracted from your studies, then you could do what I said above, or just drop it temporarily.

But if your parents are like my mum and cannot see reason i.e.
1. You should quit photography because it is not meaningful and is rather useless because it's not law or medicine
3. Photography is too expensive and you should never spend on a hobby or a job
2. You should quit photography because you will just end up as a GWC who gets into trouble with the law for the wrong reasons
4. Anyone can take photos, what's so special about you?
5. Photography is for people who can't make it in life and have nothing else to do (this one is really just...and my mum really said this)
then don't let them kill off your hobby.

Last edited:
so many ppl give their opinions .. so whats TS answer? is it another bottomless well question being setup for the sake of person's desire to see how the respond in CS will be? everyone is sharing but seem like little from TS whatever his decision. Its ur rule, its ur court, and its ur call. If u want to drop it, drop it at ur free will. If u don't want to drop it, being an teenage and thinking student, don't think ur parent will have much impact on u. unless u screw up in ur study.

junior.... just go chase skirts or whatever young people your age do..... if u are mature enough, u will understand that imaging is a part of your being no matter what camera u are carrying..... its like your parents telling u 'You are not allowed to see' which is ridiculous right? ONLY YOU can decide to quit photography

your thread should be titled ? ...... 'Verge of being banned from playing with DSLR' LOL !!!

like what others have said repeatedly above......keep the grades up and show them that you can handle it..........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.