Verge of quitting photography. HELP :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just treat it as a break, I stopped photography for 12 years and only pick it up again 3 years ago. There are alway other things in life. :) Just like I never play rugby anymore after I graduated.

Photography is not only about bring around a big DSLR and going out on shoots.
It's about being able to visualise and appreciate the things around you as well. Surely there is time for that.

Photography can be done anytime, anywhere, even with a simple mobile phone camera.
Perhaps taking a break from wielding your "real" camera will help, and when you finally do use it again, the images will improve leaps and bounds.

I'm envious. A lot of ah sia kias in there..... :bsmilie: Anyway if you can afford to own the stuff with your own means that'd be sweeter, but nobody minds the short cuts. :bsmilie:

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Nowadays life is good for our younger generation in Singapore! :D

Photography is not only about bring around a big DSLR and going out on shoots.
It's about being able to visualise and appreciate the things around you as well. Surely there is time for that.

Photography can be done anytime, anywhere, even with a simple mobile phone camera.
Perhaps taking a break from wielding your "real" camera will help, and when you finally do use it again, the images will improve leaps and bounds.

Well put.

To TS, first of all, you need to to ask yourself if your parents have valid concerns. Are you showing an obsession for taking photos and neglecting other things? On that matter, it does not make a difference (to your parents, or most others) if one uses auto or not.

Most likely you would have to compromise by limiting your camera sessions to weekends.

But moving without a camera doesn't mean giving up on photography; as you come across different interesting scenes and ask yourself how you would best capture them and convey your visualisation. Do all this with your mind. Sometimes having a camera will hinder that thinking, as people will just take a lot of shots, then, select the one that pleases them most.

Photography is not only about pressing the shutter, but rather the thought processes in between.

Subsequent times when you do pick up the camera, you will find that you can improve faster.

Last edited:
No one really quits photography, especially in modern times. Everything is equipped with camera, you find them everywhere, handphones, webcams, notebooks, etc. Photography doesn't have to be time consuming either, take it as a hobby and shoot things you like. No harm in sparing 1 or 2 days a month doing what you really like, no one studies 24/7, you still need a break every once in a while. :)

Go study, and bring along ur camera.

Study can be stressful at times, and use that to ur advantage by doing what u love, photography. For me, when work tend to stress me up, I bring along my camera. After work, I would walk and shoot coz for me I find solace in that. Walk around, see interesting subject, shot. See something which u can imagine, shoot. It can kill the stress. For me la.

Some parents nowadays I knw they are pressured. They afraid of everything for their children. But one thing I hate is when a parent tried to force its kid to be better than the other kid just to show off. Kids are not a ferrari or lamboghini to show off to. Its a being that a parent should be proud of when their kid achieve something be it small or big. Its the support that children need. U doing photography, its not a bad thing anyways. Unless they stop u from being a hooligan then thats the correct way la.

Just juggle ur time and all will be fine. What I did was I show my photos to my siblings and finally they support my interest. My eldest bro even present me with a Canon 500n Slr.haha.

Rashkae said:
If you're the sort that just spends all weekend shooting 5000 snapshots with every ah lian/xmm out there, it could give your parents valid cause for concern too. ;)

ROFL. Your quote made my day hahaha.

What do we live for? To learn and earn

i used to do multimedia a lot. web design, c programming, videography, photography, graphics design.

i eventually gave up the rest and just made photography my forte. i'll say from my experience, wateva i had learn prior from the others can be applied and it helps now that i am focused.

next year is my A lvls. am i dropping photography? hell not. i can stillshoot to relax myself.

To TS, there are so many things that we do not know and could be relevant to your parents to make their point valid. At this stage in your life, certain priorities do need to take centrestage - like your studies. Sure, I firmly believe that our local education system can only go so far in providing our youths with the necessary skills to really "survive" in the working world but without a good qualification, certain doors are forever closed - which is a kind of a Catch-22.

You picked up photography in November. It's only been a month. What has happened in that time that has had your parents concerned? Sure, school's out but are they worried that you are showing signs that it might affect your studies? I'm not belittling you, but at Sec 1, did you buy your camera on your own or did your parents buy it for you and now realise or has seen signs that it might become very expensive in the future and they feel that the $ could be better spent elsewhere? There are those who can make $ out of photography, making this point moot, but realise that by and large, a huge majority would just be hobbyists and enthusiasts, earning nothing except fun and satisfaction (although some earn plenty of frustation....).

If it's your studies, try sitting down with them and listen to their concerns and rationally explain to them that your hobby will not affect it. Lay down some ground rules and guidelines that you can show you can abide by. Perhaps they'll be agreeable to that.
If it's financial concerns, again, try sitting down with them and listen to their concerns and rationally explain to them that you will not be seeking upgrades or purchases in the near future and stick by them. Taking up a part-time job while schooling to fund your hobby will probably not fly here cos it may affect your studies and create a 2-fold problem. Since the camera is already bought, its not hard to convince them there.
If they feel that it's simply a waste of time, once again, sit down and listen to why they feel its so. Don't be too quite to argue with them but since the camera is already bought, you lay down some ground rules or guidelines on when you'll be using it and how its enriching your life.

In the end, its all about balance. Don't let your hobby create disharmony in your family because in the end, family always comes first - before work, before hobbies, before $.

All work but no play makes oLYNXo a dull boy/girl....:bsmilie:

Your parents should understand that nowadays, personal growth is as important as academic growth. If you are still scoring As while indulging yourself in photography during your free time(2-3 hrs/wk etc). It's more beneficial than spending that amount of time watching some useless tv programs or surfing some useless sites:bsmilie:

Ok. Not much of advice for TS but this brings me another question.

What are you doing photography for?

The pros answer: for $$ of course. How about most of us hobbyist?

You take a picture is for someone else to see right? Obviously you don't keep the picture to yourself do you?

What if nobody appreciates your art? Hmm, in that case what would drive your passion?

What if nobody appreciates your art? Hmm, in that case what would drive your passion?

The self-satisfaction one gets when you see the photograph on your computer. That's how I feel sometimes. —The comments from ClubSNAP, Flickr etc. and also your family member and friends.

As all of you guys know, December is coming to an end, which means school is about to start. I have been into photography since November.
Right now, I study in st. Joseph's institution and I am going to be sec2 in 2011. However, my parents are urging me to quit and drop photography because they said I had to concentrate on my subjects, as well as my rugby cca.
I really enjoy photography but they just would not accept the fact that I am a photographer. Hell, I can't even tell them I don't use auto anymore like they do. I mean, it's like I have been doing this hobby for a month and they are telling me to quit?
Do I really need to drop this? :dunno: Helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Peace out.

Did u spend way TOO much time on camera until ur parents are concerned to a point they want you to stop ??

Get your priorities right . Just like all schooling teens out there , study is always first . Like what Leong23 did , you can stop photography and pick up later . But you cant stop studying and pick up later . It would be too late . You can put your camera aside and bring it up when you are TRUELY free

Combine Rugby and photography. Shoot your teammates playing while you're resting.

Edit: you don't need expensive camera and software to enjoy photography. even iphones can take and edit pictures.

Last edited:
you should manage your time and prove to your parents that you can juggle school,rugby and photography. tell them that it's something you really like to do as your hobby.

i personally think that if i were to have a son/daughter in the future, i would be glad if he/she loves photography. haha. it's better than he/she mix around with bad companies. nevermind an expensive hobby. haha.

just my 2 cents. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.