Venice

asterix07

Dec 6, 2012
UK
8240426459_33d48c52a0_b.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
anything. i just started out and would love any comments. composition, lighting, exposure, focus, etc.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
i wanted to capture the tranquility of the place after an entire day of rain

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
it was in the evening and it had been raining the entire day. finally the rain stopped, we got out and the feeling i get is that the whole place is so quiet and peaceful.

taken with 60D

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i like the photo, esp the lights spread out over the street, gives the very slow kinda feel. then with reflection off some puddles on the floor.

The photo was well taken, and I like the mood the refection of light from the puddles. The only concern from me is the photo is bottom heavy, I would prefer to trim the bottom 20% of the photo to balance the photo with better composition.

The horizon seems slightly tilted to the right and the white balance is a bit bluish to me (but then again I'm viewing this now with a crappy laptop LCD screen).

In terms of composition, I personally would have cropped out the bits of building that are jutting out on the top right and top left hand corners. Unlike SilverPine, I would prefer more emphasis on the bottom rather than the sky if the intention is to emphasis the tranquility through how deserted the street is. This is subjective of course.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
anything. i just started out and would love any comments. composition, lighting, exposure, focus, etc.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
i wanted to capture the tranquility of the place after an entire day of rain

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
it was in the evening and it had been raining the entire day. finally the rain stopped, we got out and the feeling i get is that the whole place is so quiet and peaceful.

taken with 60D

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i like the photo, esp the lights spread out over the street, gives the very slow kinda feel. then with reflection off some puddles on the floor.

This shot good for b/w.since there's not much colors involved....i would reposition the shot so the bottom part would start off closer to the first building on the left..u can also try shooting in portrait...makes it more tight..go up closer to a puddle shooting at alow position n position a building to the side with the puddle right at the bottom of the frame so it reflects whatever is up n infront..so many things u can do

i agree with esoeij and eggie87, with respect to the cropping away of the buildings at the edges, and converting to b&w.
8250003186_e3b57d318b_o.jpg

i agree with esoeij and eggie87, with respect to the cropping away of the buildings at the edges, and converting to b&w.

beautiful

yea.. i would crop both side also..the yellow reflection and top right hand corner building is too distracting.

actually, i prefer less sky, and keep the bottom. And also keep the color.

I like the gloomy feeling,
IMO, in color is better, the warm light inject warmness into the photo.
crop away one inch from left and right, will be perfect.

I prefer original with more dynamic range .

looking at this pictures, I feel that the street is pretty dark. I can see light in the shop. I think that is the thing that capture me. The guy standing in the center look like a children to me at the first glance. I only hope if he/she is not there, then the street will look more quite. And our view will open up. to the light up shop. try putting your finger, cover that person and tell me what you feel.

zaren said:

I did something like this with TS's image and realised there is too much detail loss coz of the under-exposure.

What happened to TS??

thanks everyone for the comments! (been busy past few days with work)

wow, it looks so different in b&w. =)

didn't notice the distractions on the left & right edges.

thanks again for the tips! will work harder to have a better photo next week! =)