use of other languages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sORe-EyEz

Jun 28, 2005
SGee
should forumers who use chinese characters or characters of other languages be obliged to translate for the benefit of all users (even those who use english alphabets for other languages)?

a common language understood by all would serve to be a more inclusive & welcoming forum for all.

should forumers who use chinese characters or characters of other languages be obliged to translate for the benefit of all users (even those who use english alphabets for other languages)?

a common language understood by all would serve to be a more inclusive & welcoming forum for all.

I don't see any issue here. There are a few people writing in Chinese characters and I don't understand a single word but the majority here uses English. No need to setup any specific rules. I believe in common sense rather than rules for each and everything.

I don't see any issue here. There are a few people writing in Chinese characters and I don't understand a single word but the majority here uses English. No need to setup any specific rules. I believe in common sense rather than rules for each and everything.

how would using common sense make one understand a different language? it may not mean coming up with another rule just so forumers will toe-the-line would automatically be the best option.

a softer stance would ease to burden of mods & admin staff alike. reduce burden in the need to be police 24/7 to enforce a rule. granted some cases not clear-cut. get drawn into a debate to explain each case- a time consuming process is the last thing any mod would like.

maybe a effective & less hardnosed approach would work better? like an occasional PM to encourage those who post in other languages to volunteer in translating 1s own post. maybe some1 have another idea worth considering?

if the photographs are in viewable format, I don't really mind any other languages.

I think this is a 'sensitive' issue.. best not to bring it up at all..
... I certainly didn't feel it would get anywhere bringing this topic up...

I think this is a 'sensitive' issue.. best not to bring it up at all..
... I certainly didn't feel it would get anywhere bringing this topic up...

i tot if it is precisely its sensitive thats why now is a good time to pay some attention to it. so far there is no rantings for an outright demand. so by using a milder approach to encourage people who post in other language to translate the text the situation where a pant-up frustration do not occur.

personally i feel its not that sensitive a topic. i am not asking for yet another rule or sugggesting penalty be mete out. the aim for such a soft approach is to form a more welcoming & inclusive forum for all. as i do remember occasional foreigner dropping by.

as an online forum, its a glimpse of Singapore too.

Personally, I can't see why anyone would bother posting in another language to start with. There is no point what-so-ever. Furthermore, I can honestly say that I haven't really come across many posts that were not written in English. I don't think any rules are needed...

沒有関悉啦. 有甚末大不了 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.