upgrade body or faster lens?

A sample found around the web:
TP.jpg

Taken by DSLR? No... taken with a compact camera.

My point is: The equipment does not play a decisive part in taking a good shot. The photographer DOES.

Haha bro, seeing the quality of this image, I'm more inclined to get a better camera. :bsmilie: Maybe it's just the compression

No issues I get what you guys are saying. I actually just was hoping for someone to give me a real life example of whether using a fast lens would help with hand held shots in low light conditions. I do know some basics of the theory of the exposure triangle. But this theories doesn't exactly tell me whether a fast lens would be more helpful as compared to a "newer" body.

The 17-50 is already a pretty fast lens. So if the body is preventing you from upping the ISO, then I feel that it's a good enough reason to change to something with better noise control.

No issues I get what you guys are saying. I actually just was hoping for someone to give me a real life example of whether using a fast lens would help with hand held shots in low light conditions. I do know some basics of the theory of the exposure triangle. But this theories doesn't exactly tell me whether a fast lens would be more helpful as compared to a "newer" body.

If you knew 'some' basics of the exposure triangle, you would know that taking a shot at f1.4 allows you to use a shutter speed that is four times faster than what you would use at f2.8, assuming you keep the ISO setting the same, to get the same exposure. This is more than enough information for a person to draw a conclusion. This theory, as you so call it, can be translated very easily into camera settings in a practical setting.

Last edited:
Haha bro, seeing the quality of this image, I'm more inclined to get a better camera. :bsmilie: Maybe it's just the compression

Screenshot from my PC screen. ;p

But she's good at waiting for good lighting.

Not sure what's the issue here without looking at the photos. Assuming that you know where you're heading, I will say that in your case, try (1) upgrading the body as newer processors will handle higher ISO better. So a 60D has less perceptable noise than 40D at the same ISO.
(2) Upgrade the len to suck even more light. However, remember is a "light recorder" so if everything is pitch dark, you still not going to be able to get anything.

Also, have you consider that the problem is with your flash? Is it a in-camera flash or a external flash? You may be able to go for a lower ISO if the flash power increases, ie ex530.

Last edited:
dodgethis said:
If you knew 'some' basics of the exposure triangle, you would know that taking a shot at f1.4 allows you to use a shutter speed that is four times faster than what you would use at f2.8, assuming you keep the ISO setting the same, to get the same exposure. This is more than enough information for a person to draw a conclusion. This theory, as you so call it, can be translated very easily into camera settings in a practical setting.

To add on, if your frame at that point in time at e.g. 35mm/2.8 is metered at a shutter speed of say, 1/15 sec you will get handheld shake. Using a f/1.4 will give u 4x shutter speed I.e. 1/60, which would greatly negate camera shake at that focal length.

The guideline for slowest shutter speed before handshake sets in is about (1/FL) sec. Just a guideline thou, don't take it wholesale. Cheers.

Thanks a lot for all the comments. I will ponder on all your information that you guys have kindly provided.

fast lenses also means thinner DOF, have you considered that? you may end up with less grainy photos but more blurry ones (unless u intentionally wanted it), even more difficult to rectify. if no money for 5D3 (which i strongly advocate), do consider 5D2. if i were you, i will upgrade the body based on your description.

Last edited:
If you ask TS to go FF..5D2 for example.
Then TS will need to buy new lens also. because i dont think a Tamron 17-50 is a FF lens.. TS pls take note. :)

Hi I am a relative newbie in the world of dslr. I currently own a canon 40d and a tamron 17-50 f2f.8. On a recent trip overseas and during an indoor event, I felt hampered by the iso available to me on my 40d. Yes I was also using a flash at that time. Even though I was using a flash, I felt majority of the pictures turn out grainy due to the high iso and there were motion blur as well.

My question is that would a better and newer body like the 7d help me solve my problem or a faster lens like the sigma 3mm f1.4?

Thanks in advance.

What were your settings when you shot flash? Or you can post a sample picture with EXIF...

Because, usually when shooting flash why do you need so high an ISO till your picture is so grainy?

Last edited:
Hi I am a relative newbie in the world of dslr. I currently own a canon 40d and a tamron 17-50 f2f.8. On a recent trip overseas and during an indoor event, I felt hampered by the iso available to me on my 40d. Yes I was also using a flash at that time. Even though I was using a flash, I felt majority of the pictures turn out grainy due to the high iso and there were motion blur as well.

My question is that would a better and newer body like the 7d help me solve my problem or a faster lens like the sigma 3mm f1.4?I

Thanks in advance.

What flash are u using for the shots?

I was using a nissin 866 with a hard cap diffuser. Using Av mode most of the time.

It's was a normal hotel room environment I guess.

I was using a nissin 866 with a hard cap diffuser. Using Av mode most of the time.

It's was a normal hotel room environment I guess.

You should be using M mode when using flash...

Ya i understand now. sadly i failed to read up more before I help my friend to take photos

avarice0084 said:

My question is that would a better and newer body like the 7d help me solve my problem or a faster lens like the sigma 3mm f1.4?

Thanks in advance.

I think its Yr skill that is the problem, not the cam that is the problem

Care to tell us how you set your settings when u r shooting indoor with the flash?

I felt majority of the pictures turn out grainy due to the high iso and there were motion blur as well.

if grain is an issue to you then firstly afford a camera body with as recent an image processor as you can afford .... it immediately opens up the playing field for you on that front on whats acceptable to you at higher ISOs . THEN acceptable grain at higher ISOs remains a constant regardless of which lens you actually use

I'd like to hope that a quick lens has other characteristics, effects and properties that are more important than getting a faster shutter speed wide open (which opens another can of good/bad worms on the effects of shooting wide open)

ok good luck hope u understand what I'm trying to say

Last edited:
Found out that TS is trying to do street photoraphy in low light condition. (e.g. Street market in Taiwan)

If such is the case, I think better get a better body that shoots low noise in high ISO.

Just sharing my tips here.

High speed lens is important, but no meter how oldest the lens still can works fine or manual focus.

Body more important no high ISO how can be keep cool to meet up on year 2012..
The lower ISO at lease from 1600-3200 or 6400.
So you have confident to continue to taking pictures & show your friends.
Mine even shoots at 1600 ISO still can't see any noise & how bout you?

Cause I have one friend he still keep the 40D and longer time never touch already, I think he not satisfied on shoot at higher ISO.
So he choose on better don't shots at all.

The latest body have more important to upgrade 1st.

I'm stop here. Thanks

Found out that TS is trying to do street photoraphy in low light condition. (e.g. Street market in Taiwan)

If such is the case, I think better get a better body that shoots low noise in high ISO.

Hmm.. I also love doing night street photography..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming you want to prevent motion blurs, and you don't use flash, then I think you'd need both. A body with better ISO handling, and a fast lens.

No easy way on your back or your bank account, but if I were you, I'd go with something like a 5D2 instead of 7D (Sorry I'm a Canon user, so not familiar with models from other brands). Add a good 50mm F/1.4 lens, and you will be good to go. (Take note that AF on 7D is newer, so I assume 7D has better AF compared with 5D2).