Underwater potraits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stingraytan

Jun 11, 2004
Hi!! Am pretty new here and a newbie in photography...

Currently using a standard powershot A80. Was browsing thru the forums and saw the potraits thread. Picked up quite a few pointers from there.

So.. since my camera seems to be limited to taking medium size subjects with limited range, (can someone correct me on this?) most of my shots underwater is focused on fish/coral potraits.

Can any of the pro's here share with newbies like myself how to make the most out of our gears and the subjects? perhaps tips on things to look out for while composing, lightning, etc??

Since our models will mainly be fishes etc, "potraits" will lack the "mood, expression, character, etc" that can be conveyed by human models? (or do they??!)
How can we capture the life on the reef that adds depth to our subjects??

Thanks in advance!

The A80 is capable of taking subjects as close as 5cm, and you should be able to take certain macro subjects, such as large nudis, to fill about 1/3 of the frame. On the other end of the size scale, animals of the size of a cuttlefish will prob be at the upper limit of the camera's limited flash range. Of course factors like ambient light, vis, ISO settings etc will affect this.

Good luck and keep practising! ;)

stingraytan said:
Can any of the pro's here share with newbies like myself how to make the most out of our gears and the subjects? perhaps tips on things to look out for while composing, lightning, etc??

Since our models will mainly be fishes etc, "potraits" will lack the "mood, expression, character, etc" that can be conveyed by human models? (or do they??!)
How can we capture the life on the reef that adds depth to our subjects??

I'm no pro but i'd share my thoughts just the same.

Your qns on how to capture life on reef that adds depth to your subject. I believe only u have the 'right' answer to that. gotta know what about the subject attracts u, why u enjoy diving, thus u/w photography.. only then are u able to bring that into your picture and bring your picture to 'life'

Think the same goes for land photography. take studio portraiture for eg. If u do not feel for the sitter, it can jolly well be a snap shot, be done and forgetten.

But if u really feel for the subject, understand it well (like good photographer communicate with the subject), know the temperaments/character of model/sitter/subject, then u can acheive the realness in that picture u've taken.

Upon saying that, the right lighting might help a lot and i'm not expert on that. I'm still trying to figure it out.

inanimate objects can be very good subjects if u take it well. (not limited to humans)

That's just my point of view. :)
got another tip, make tonnes of money, go diving more often and if u really have MORE MORE money, treat the rest of us for a dive trip with u and sure can learn. :D

wow.. thanks alot!
hmm.. its so true how the photographer should convey the love for diving thru pics by taking what he/she loves in the 1st place... What was I thinking??!!

keep the comments coming! and thanks kng and Dtan for sharing.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.