TREND in CS

Which is more useful for learning photography???

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witness

Mar 18, 2004
www.maverickatwork.com
Eh....I noticed something here in 2005....

when i first joined in 2004....there were loads of street outings.... i learnt alot about camera control and settings then ...from shooting streets on film... it kept me tinking about every shot i took...had to hunt for subjects...sometimes ppl sometimes stills.... really forced me to tink....

slowly i moved on to doin portraits too......but after some time when i was sure my basics were better and when i was sure i wanted to zoom into learning it.....till i do mainly portraits now...

but wat i noticed is tt there are fewer street outings these days....and more portraits shoots....

haha...everyone seems to be shooting portraits these days...from DAY ONE....

dun u guys tink tt streets is prob a better place to start? coz the subjects are simpler.....can learn composition and DOF control etc etc (i.e. impt stuff in photog imho)... with portraits apart from basics still need to learn posing, reflector work and interaction work.....

would this be too much to handle??? are they shooting blindly or learning?

would like to hear other views on this...

cheers....
The Witness

too many "hum sup lo"
*snigger* :bigeyes:

Splutter said:
I'm quite sure many will take a liking to street photography if it becomes a trend to wear bikini along Orchard Road :bsmilie:

true true~~~ :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

why got to follow the trend?

Think different
upload_308256.jpg

Different people appreciate different things.
Some like street scenes, some like females in bikini.

One of the satisfaction of this hobby is to see nice photos that himself produced.

Witness said:
Eh....I noticed something here in 2005....

when i first joined in 2004....there were loads of street outings.... i learnt alot about camera control and settings then ...from shooting streets on film... it kept me tinking about every shot i took...had to hunt for subjects...sometimes ppl sometimes stills.... really forced me to tink....

slowly i moved on to doin portraits too......but after some time when i was sure my basics were better and when i was sure i wanted to zoom into learning it.....till i do mainly portraits now...

but wat i noticed is tt there are fewer street outings these days....and more portraits shoots....

haha...everyone seems to be shooting portraits these days...from DAY ONE....

dun u guys tink tt streets is prob a better place to start? coz the subjects are simpler.....can learn composition and DOF control etc etc (i.e. impt stuff in photog imho)... with portraits apart from basics still need to learn posing, reflector work and interaction work.....

would this be too much to handle??? are they shooting blindly or learning?

would like to hear other views on this...

cheers....
The Witness

I am not sure about how others think of it but as for me

- No matter which area you go into. The fundamentals are essential.

[For Street photography]

- beside the fundamentals , we need to train to be alert and fast to capture those rare sudden shots which might only last for few seconds.

- Need to learn how to shoot in all weather on the street.

- Need to learn how to shoot without flash and tripod especially when the light is low and people are not that friendly

- The way the composition is done is usually on how to frame the subject into the background (Eg. Street , Building etc ) and usually the background is sharp

- Most important is how to shoot and not get into trouble

[For Portraits]

- Need to learn how to communication with the model.

- have to learn to use reflector and post.

- have to be alert to find out the best angle of the model

- Compositon is usually depends on the type of dressing / mood and type of model and type of lighting available.

- the model does not necessary need to be pretty sexy girls. It can be an elderly too.

Thus these two type of photography are quite different.

Think usually newbie would like to start as street shooter cos it is free and they are too shy to shoot in front of model loh. At least I am still one of them (a shy guy) when come to model shooting

As for those newbie who start as a Portraits shooting. Maybe it is due to the recent grow of more free fashion show in Singapore. Not to mention those temptation from nice model photos by W*t*e*s ;)

Anyway , no matter where we start from. As long as we manage to learn and improve our photography skill and enjoy what we like are doing, it's does not really matter.

Just my newbie point of view , please don't flame me for talking too much loh. :sweat:

monster14a.gif

Thanks

i think what dark mentioned is quite true,
it really depends on what kind of photography one is into,
i've been surfing CS since sometime 2004 too, noticed the trend then was mainly street shoots, then slowly now portraits seems to be the fad now.

perhaps photog are also following what other pp are doing? lolx
monkey see monkey do..? but also its possible the usual street shooters we have perhaps have decreased posting pics, and our portraits shooters have increased in frequency..?

its easier to find a model then to find a good street opportunity maybe? =)

possible to do street photography with an SLR and not get mistaken to be a terrorist by security guards? Nowadays bring out big cam near a building, the security guards sure come out. Or wear like a tourist and shoot, then probably safer :bsmilie:

kirk said:
possible to do street photography with an SLR and not get mistaken to be a terrorist by security guards? Nowadays bring out big cam near a building, the security guards sure come out. Or wear like a tourist and shoot, then probably safer :bsmilie:

Can.... Use Leica :devil:

More model shoot being organised, perhaps ;)

Good income for those who organise, good avenue for the photographers to spend their weekend with their cams, hehe.

Dogfish said:
too many "hum sup lo"
*snigger* :bigeyes:

or more commonly known as chekopek. or called it artistic shoot with assymetric lighting, erotic poses etc.

AReality said:
QOTD: If everyone is thinking differently, then who is really thinking different?
Answer to your OT: everyone. no one man on earth is the same. :confused:

Get to think of it, I'll like to take some Portraitures... haven't try any as of now... hei, where u find those portraiture outings?..

Its like you are asking, learn to drive, must i learn to drive a toyota or bmw? its really up to the person learning to drive. in general, you are still learning, just how much the person put in effort to learn. maybe i feel that a bmw will make me learn faster, why not? i am still learning how to drive, and so it applies to learning photography as well. same logic. :)

I would like to organise, but I have no time :)

Portraits are a good way to know the glasses' characterstics & settings to use, exposure etc. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.