Travelling & Stock Images: RAW or JPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiojack

Jan 12, 2009
Hi there guys, I am going on a vacation to dubai and gona take travelling photos as well as stock images of landscapes and arab people for work purposes..is it good to take my pictures in RAW or should I just take in JPG Fine quality 15mp to save memory? I have 4+8gb CF cards. Just wanna ask what you guys practise for saving your photo formats.

Stock images you say? Then you're better off taking RAW.

When travelling, my default mode is jpeg for the usual group shots etc and switching to RAW when I know I'm gonna nail a keeper.

If you don't need maximum burst capacity you can easily go with the normal speed cards (133x, 200x). Get more of them, they are cheap now.

RAW... bring a memory bank for backup...

Shoot Raw, CF is cheap nowadays, just grab a few >4gb cards. More cards of smaller size are safer than 1 big capacity CF card. If the card screws up, at least you won't be losing all your photos

ok I guess I will take RAW for the stock images and JPG High Fine for the travelling/casual ones...I dont' know why but my photoshop CS3 doesnt detect RAW images even after installing the latest camera raw plugin for CS3 put into the common files folder. The thing is when I do the open dialog for my cs3, i choose camera raw as file type and click on my raw .CR2 file from the folder it popups saying "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". Anyone know why or experienced this before?

Shoot in RAW and bring along a Laptop, Notebook, Netbook..... for viewing or storage :thumbsup:

ok I guess I will take RAW for the stock images and JPG High Fine for the travelling/casual ones...I dont' know why but my photoshop CS3 doesnt detect RAW images even after installing the latest camera raw plugin for CS3 put into the common files folder. The thing is when I do the open dialog for my cs3, i choose camera raw as file type and click on my raw .CR2 file from the folder it popups saying "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document". Anyone know why or experienced this before?

You didn't tell us what camera you have? But CS3 can't handle the 5D Mk2. Might be also true for the 50D, but not sure

Workarounds:
either convert to DNG (search adobe.com for the free download)
or use Lightroom 2 - and then 'round trip' for editing
or upgrade to CS4 (probably a waste of money, as not too much new)
or convert to TIFF with DPP

Hi there guys, I am going on a vacation to dubai and gona take travelling photos as well as stock images of landscapes and arab people for work purposes..is it good to take my pictures in RAW or should I just take in JPG Fine quality 15mp to save memory? I have 4+8gb CF cards. Just wanna ask what you guys practise for saving your photo formats.
do you see yourself no problem sorting through hundreds of raws adjustments and that you feel pain when a possible good shot is ruined due to jpeg not being as flexible as raw?

I am used to doing the above so is no issue since most of the time i used full Auto settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.