Travelling soon, which lens to bring

Status
Not open for further replies.

zcf

Apr 10, 2005
270 degree of Singapore
Going to travel to HK for 5 days next month, most likely shooting wide angle, plus a few portrait, and may be some street shots :think: .

My current set up are:
KM5D with 7 lens
Tokina 17mm f/3.5
KM AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
KM AF 24-105mm f/3.5-4.5
KM AF 50mm f/1.4
KM AF 80-200mm f/2.8 HS APO G
KM AF 100mm f/2.8 macro
KM AF 100-300mm (non APO)f/4.5 - 5.6 looking for an APO version)
5600HS (D) flash
self standing monopod

Thinking of bringing either:
1. 17mm, 50mm, 100-300mm
2. 17mm, 24-105mm, 100-300mm
3. 17mm, 80-200mm
4. 18-70mm (lightest)
plus 5600HS flash and self standing monopod.

about the same weight, 50mm got for portrait, 24-105mm good for zoom flexibility.
If possible like to bring 80-200mm, good for zoom and portrait but too heavy for travel.

Will it be any problem bringing camera and taking ride in Disney HK :sweat: ?

Bring lightest... Focal length more important. Kit lens plus maybe the 100-300mm. Enjoy the trip! I dun feel too safe bringing expensive stuffs overseas too, hehe...

hiee..

Heres my inputs..
KM AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6
KM AF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 * optional
KM AF 50mm f/1.4
75-300 -if have
5600HS (D) flash
Monopod/tripod

Thats it...travel light

hmm...been there before and if I am going again my setup on your equipments for my liking will be either
17mm, 24-105mm
or
just the kit lens
(will not bring flash)

to HK? AWAP for me. AS WIDE AS POSSIBLE :)
imo, over there usually more on landscape...night view from peak..lantau island...skyscraper view around ferry place...disney..etc.
actually just a kit will be enough for me to cover landscape and those street markets unless you got something wider to bring.
changing lens is troublesome! ;)

Thanks for all the feedback.
I am not very comfortable to bring heavy and expensive 80-200mm lens out for travel also, so it's out.

Yes I like to shoot wide, and the widest is tokina 17mm, prime quality is better also, especially compare to kit lens.

Indeed change lens is troublesome.

Flash is a must though, for portrait shot, esp at night. But isn't the on board flash would do also :think: ? Although not as flexible or powerful.

The self standing monopod however is a must for night and own shots.

So,
17mm
self standing monopod
+ zoom.

Sulhan, that's doesn't consider light for your setting :sweat: .

Light is to carry a Dimage A2...hehehhe

well...i have tried 80-200f2.8+17-35mm last trip ...put one lens in jacket pocket...
and swap when needed.....

rgds,
sulhan

sulhan said:
Light is to carry a Dimage A2...hehehhe

well...i have tried 80-200f2.8+17-35mm last trip ...put one lens in jacket pocket...
and swap when needed.....

rgds,
sulhan
Your jacket pocket must be very big for 80-200mm :bigeyes: .

Bro bring some disposable film cameras too
just in case

eow said:
Bro bring some disposable film cameras too
just in case
Thanks, but I think it should be quite easy to buy it there, but touch wood. Better don't need it.

zcf said:
Will it be any problem bringing camera and taking ride in Disney HK :sweat: ?

Don't think you can carry anything when you are taking those rides.. a bit risky to just leave it at the platform.. ;)
The best is to ask your friend to carry, if you are there with a friend.

These will be my choice..

Tokina 17mm f/3.5
KM AF 50mm f/1.4
KM 75-300mm
with AS + prime lens, no need monopod

or just the kit lens for 5D + 75-300mm.

The self-standing monopod is actually for taking self portrait more than night shot, I guess :sweat:

So need to make some friends in Disney before taking ride :bsmilie:

zcf said:
The self-standing monopod is actually for taking self portrait more than night shot, I guess :sweat:

So need to make some friends in Disney before taking ride :bsmilie:

Aiyah.. ask people to take for you.. definitely better than using a monopod.. :)
In this case, I think I trust the staff at the platform rather than new friends.. at Disney.

travel lens? 18-200mm - BUY BUY BUY!
my last trip i only used this lens, really very shiok, wide can, tele can, light, and never need to change. the one time i had problem was shooting orang utan at nature reserve, then i really wished i had a longer, brighter lens.

actually you got a long list of nice lenses leh... maybe the 18-70 can already. i find that on trips most of the time use only the wider part of the zoom range. if you feel insecure about the long end then add the 100-300 lor.

the last two trips i went, i brought my external flash, but never used it leh... but then i don't take self portraits...

enjoy ur trip! hee, then come back and post pictures :thumbsup:

P&S camera probably, but DSLR :sweat:

That's why have to make friend with Mickey, Minnie, Gooffey, Donald and etc :bsmilie:

zcf said:

That's why have to make friend with Mickey, Minnie, Gooffey, Donald and etc :bsmilie:

think u have to buy 1 with big shutter button.. u see how big their hands are?

and also hope that they can even see anything... i reckon they can't see a single thing in the viewfinder of a DSLR... if give them a D70 or 350D viewfinder... better hope for the best... die like the rest...

use a consumer cam lah.

zcf said:

No worry man.. KM5D is so cheap.. cheaper than Sony R1... No one will take.. unless if you are using popular brand like Canon 5D or Nikon D200.

Bro, have gone through your arsenal of lenses, the only one that is missing is the 28-300mm. If you need one, I am selling mine .........;p

This is the one lens that you will need for your vacation ......... look me up.;)

Bring ya 18-70 and a 24-105. These 2 shld suffice.

I only had my 18-70 thru out for my last trip. No sweat, survived that. But my only problem was sniping babes. It was near impossible at 70mm so I have to use 18mm and move in close to target to blind shoot.

Quite tuff to get it on target since I'm still not used to my camera yet.

Zenten said:
Bro, have gone through your arsenal of lenses, the only one that is missing is the 28-300mm. If you need one, I am selling mine .........;p

This is the one lens that you will need for your vacation ......... look me up.;)
Thanks, but actually looking at 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO one :)

Your 28-300mm lens indeed can cover a big range.

Status
Not open for further replies.