Travelling soon, which lens to bring

Status
Not open for further replies.
jsbn said:
Bring ya 18-70 and a 24-105. These 2 shld suffice.

I only had my 18-70 thru out for my last trip. No sweat, survived that. But my only problem was sniping babes. It was near impossible at 70mm so I have to use 18mm and move in close to target to blind shoot.

Quite tuff to get it on target since I'm still not used to my camera yet.

Aiya, if i know u shooting babes, den i should lend u my 50-500... but den again, by the time to take that out & position it... babe gone... den their boyfrens run after you... :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Aiya, if i know u shooting babes, den i should lend u my 50-500... but den again, by the time to take that out & position it... babe gone... den their boyfrens run after you... :bsmilie:

point the bazooka at them and say "stop or i'll shoot" lor. if they come nearer just whack them with it lah.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Aiya, if i know u shooting babes, den i should lend u my 50-500... but den again, by the time to take that out & position it... babe gone... den their boyfrens run after you...
most of the time when i spot a babe i will rather use my eyes to see as much as possible then to take this take that to shoot...gone liao la "where is she?". capture the image in your brain better! :bsmilie:

for those who went taking fireworks, are you taking and watching the fireworks thru the tiny viewfinder most of the time?
Well after a few tries, i decided to go with my eyes wide open without camera and enjoy the precious few minutes of fireworks!

I only bring a 24-135... and a 7D. Just bought a 18-70 kit lens from a fellow CSer... so will bring that too... I am not in the mood of bringing heavy load when I came back...

No tripod too... hehehe..

Hart

dominator said:
most of the time when i spot a babe i will rather use my eyes to see as much as possible then to take this take that to shoot...gone liao la "where is she?". capture the image in your brain better! :bsmilie:

for those who went taking fireworks, are you taking and watching the fireworks thru the tiny viewfinder most of the time?
Well after a few tries, i decided to go with my eyes wide open without camera and enjoy the precious few minutes of fireworks!

see thru the viewfinder most stupid lah.... if u put bulb or 5 sec, den 5 sec no image lor, cos the mirror up liao...

U need range if u are not on a pro shooting trip rather than quality... 18-70, 24-105 and 100-300.... actually having a 75-300 would be excellent as well so that u end up with only 2 lenses 18-70 and 75-300... trust me walking around with many lenses is very tiring...

any lens that is short yet have long range & nice bokeh? good sniper lens? and most importantly, fast...

mirror lens cannot make it so 500mm & 1000mm out for me...

zcf said:
Thanks, but actually looking at 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO one :)

Your 28-300mm lens indeed can cover a big range.

Don't tell me I never gave you good advice ........ :)

Based on your equipment list, will go with the following:
KM AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and KM AF 100-300mm (non APO)f/4.5 - 5.6. ;)

Bring just your 18-70mm kit lens for scenery and a 50mm for portraits. If I'm not wrong your gf has a Pana FZ5 right? Bring these 3 items should be sufficient, unless you are going to take some zoom shots under very dim light condition...

With these 3 items plus your observation, you should be
able to produce good travel photos.
Enjoy your trip bro... and bring us nice photos. :bsmilie:

thanks for all the comment, still considering :think: .

obewan, she need to shot as well mah, can't just snap the camera from her right :bsmilie:

tankm said:
Based on your equipment list, will go with the following:
KM AF 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 and KM AF 100-300mm (non APO)f/4.5 - 5.6. ;)

Recommend him your 100-200 if its still available. Just got my 28-135 ortherwise I might have gone for it myself.

just bring 18-70 and 75-300mm..mmmm maybe skip the 75-300 and bring the 50mm (low lightings) better..travel light , yr there to enjoy, not to have a backache..

I thought zcf is only seeking advice on 1 lens to bring ........ if bring more than 1 then might as well bring his whole arsenal on vacation ......:think: :bsmilie:

Zenten said:
I thought zcf is only seeking advice on 1 lens to bring ........ if bring more than 1 then might as well bring his whole arsenal on vacation ......:think: :bsmilie:
If one lens only, then is simple, kit lens.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
I can defend with tripod in hand, but 2 weapons in hand might backfire. :(

So I take the safe route, 18mm, burst mode, bullets away.... bratatatatatatatatatat....

GENO said:
just bring 18-70 and 75-300mm..mmmm maybe skip the 75-300 and bring the 50mm (low lightings) better..travel light , yr there to enjoy, not to have a backache..
Especially so if u're backpacking.

Dynax 7D battery grip, 3 lenses and flash, monopod/tripod, backpack, stuff for the folks back home, coat enuff to kill.

A lot depends on the purpose of your trip as well as type of and how much of shooting you want to do.
For me I would also consider:
a) how much I can lug without tiring myself so much so I cannot get a steady shot and*
b) what I am prepared to risk damage or lost
Mind you, I did not mean what you can afford to lose but what you are prepared to risk to get good shots. Bringing a tool* you will treat with tender loving care will stress you out during a trip and ruin it.
Finally, I personally would include filters, a teleconverter and extension tube to increase the range of what I bring as they don't weigh much or take too much space.

18-70 + 100-300. best lightweight combo.

if me, i would bring, 17 + 24-105 + 80-200.

Status
Not open for further replies.