Travel accessories

tcompass10

Dec 29, 2009
South
hi there,
can someone advise on the camera accessories I need to bring along for travel to a cold country?

I read there is a need to keep condensation off the camera when entering into the tour bus / building from the streets outside. Use a ziploc bag to keep camera first?

And need silica gel or heat pads etc?

For advice please.
Thanks !

Ziploc bags. Bring a few pieces just in case. When moving from cold environment into warm one, place camera(with attached lens) into ziploc bag and seal BEFORE entering the warm environment. You will see condensation form on the outside of the ziploc bag. After the camera's temperature has stabilized with the ambient temperature in the warm area, take it out. By then you would have noticed that condensation on the ziploc bag is already dried up and gone.

And keep your fully charged spare batteries in your pockets of your inner clothing, not the outer jacket. This is to keep the batteries warm until they are ready to be used.

I was in -25 deg C weather with a D90 with manfrotto legs for 10 days without any silica gel packs, or heat packs. Did ok.

Last edited:
hi there,
can someone advise on the camera accessories I need to bring along for travel to a cold country?

I read there is a need to keep condensation off the camera when entering into the tour bus / building from the streets outside. Use a ziploc bag to keep camera first?

And need silica gel or heat pads etc?

For advice please.
Thanks !

For me, i won't use anything extra.

The only time i found condensaton a hassle was when i am in Singapore. Shooting things early in the morning outfield. I just wipe it using lens cloth. Simple.
When i was in Beijing last winter (<0 deg c), never had much issues with condensation, even when coming out from hotel. just let it cool to atmospheric temperature before shooting. I am not sure about the environment u'll be in. But do note that the condensation will depend not only on temperature, but also humidity. Don't think silica gel can help much.

About batteries, I was surprised that my battery didn't die when i was climbing the Great Wall in winter. A freshly charged battery took about 400 shots on my E-P1. I left it hanging on my neck throughout the climb. No issues. Again, maybe the place u are visiting could be much colder. So just put ur spare batteries close to ur body.

Thanks everyone for offering kind advice on this. Looks like basically keeping batteries warm and also avoiding condensation on camera are the 2 main areas to be mindful about.

Thanks again for the help !
Cheers !
:)