Transcend 150x 4GB SD may not be 150x

Status
Not open for further replies.

tks

Apr 27, 2004
tohsphotos.fotopic.net
Guys, this is for general information. Apologies for the long post.

First, let me say that I am a reasonable and realistic person. I do not expect a 150x card to perform exactly at 150x. I am willing to allow a 20% deviation. So, I will settle if the particular card that I purchase turns out to be at least 120x.

I paid good money for a Transcend 150x 4GB SD card. I was attracted by the 4GB as well as the claimed Ultra-Speed. I put it in my S3 IS and it worked. Until I started to read in dpreview forums that some people are finding that their 4GB Transcend cards were not quite up to speed. Finally, I decided to do a test on my card and these are my results:

I put the camera to the highest resolution and at High Speed Continuous Shooting mode. I aimed at the Windows XP clock and shot away for 60 seconds. I shall set out the results of my tests with my other cards first.

Kingston Ultimate 120x 2GB SD

No problems. I could shoot about 130+ shots per 60 seconds. No slowdown. No "Busy" message. Camera was shooting at approximately the claimed 2.3 shots per second. When shutter was released, camera stopped recording.

Lexar Professional 133x 2GB SD

No problems. I could shoot about 130+ shots per 60 seconds. No slowdown. No "Busy" message. Camera was shooting at approximately the claimed 2.3 shots per second. When shutter was released, camera stopped recording.

Transcend UltraSpeed 150x 4GB SD

No problems for first 5 seconds where I shot 14 pics. After that, the "Busy" message came on and the speed slowed down to approximately one shot per second!!! The card was too slow for the camera's 2.3 shots per second! For the first 5 seconds, the camera's buffer was probably assisting. When shutter was released, the camera was still recording and for quite a while. Probably clearing away the buffer.

Detailed Results:
14 pics first 5 secs
26 pics next 25 secs
31 pics next 30 secs
Total: 71 pics per min

In all the above cases, I did a in-camera low level format before I did the test. I should add that for the 4GB Transcend only, a in-camera format results in the card not being readable directly on my notebook. I do not know why this is the case. No such problems with the other 2GB cards. I had to read the pictures by connecting the camera to the notebook via USB.

For the Transcend 4GB, I did another low level format using my notebook, using FAT32. This results in the card being usable on my camera as well as readable directly on my notebook card reader. More importantly, the speed seems to have improved, but it is still not good enough.

22 pics first 9 secs
30 pics next 21 secs
42 pics next 30 secs
Total: 94 pics per min

Picture sizes are generally about 2.1 to 2.2 MB. Based on that, I reckon the Transcend's write speed was only about 20x !!! I repeated the above tests a few times, and the results were consistent.

I normally use Lexar or Kingston. When the shop tried to sell me Transcend, I was unsure. The shop assured me that if there was any problem, I could go back to them. But when I went back to them, they were not very helpful. They basically pushed me to the Transcend agent, Memory World. I don't want to name the shop but it is a shop that has been recommended by many of us, including me. Though I don't blame them for the problem, I think they could be more helpful. So, I am quite disappointed with them.

Anyway, I went to Memory World. Before I could even describe my problem, the girl there gave me an introductory brief on why cards may not always perform exactly to specs. I cut her off by saying that I agree but 150x to 20x??? (Please refer to my intro brief where I stated I am prepared to accept even 20% deviation).

Then she tried to take down my problem, saying that she has to refer to Transcend. After trying to describe the problem with some difficulty, I took out my S3 IS (good thing I brought along) and showed her there and then how I have no problems (when shooting using my Lexar) and the problem (when using the Transcend). She got the point and gave me a brand new card.

Brand new card - I tried on the spot and same problem.

I think most if not all the Transcend cards will have the same problem. So, I took the new card and went back to the shop. I could not get a refund but the shop agreed to an exchange. I exchanged for two Lexar 133x SD cards (exactly the same as the one I tested ok). I had to top-up but at least I have peace of mind.

By the way, I checked the serial number of the card and it was confirmed to be a genuine card. You can check at http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/SerialCheck.asp?LangNo=0&Func1No=2&Func2No=128

I also emailed Transcend Taiwan and got a very prompt reply within 2 hours. After checking some details of my card, this is what they said:

Thanks for your kindly feedback. Base on this issue, we will try to verify and improve it as soon as possible. Actually the claimed speed of Transcend 4GB SD150 is base on Read speed which is about 21MB/sec (150X). However, High Speed Continuous Shoot mode may need better performance in Write speed.

So before you rush to buy that ultra-speed 4GB card, you may want to do some research on the actual write speed. Furthermore, the new SDHC cards are not that fast. HC stands for high capacity and not high speed. Be warned and good luck!

I did some read write tests on the transcends cards a few months ago.

2 GB 150x SD card
transcendsdtestresultqq5.jpg

2 GB 120x CF card
transcendcftestresultot1.jpg

Take the read speed of 18.9MB/s ÷ 0.15 = 126x

The CF card exceed the spec!

The above was tested with a usb multi card reader, firewire card reader will be able to get better result.

Here the screenshot for the SD card test. Error in the image url, cannot edit the link.

I think there is no problem with the 2GB cards. The problem is only with the 4GB SD cards The read speed may be 150x but the write speed is very, very slow. My estimate is that it is only around 20x. Definitely not more than 30x.

I think there is no problem with the 2GB cards. The problem is only with the 4GB SD cards The read speed may be 150x but the write speed is very, very slow. My estimate is that it is only around 20x. Definitely not more than 30x.

hihi.. is your card SDHC? maybe transcend didnt state it was?

for SDHC, there are generally class 2 and class 6 cards.
class 2 = low/normal speed
class 6 = hi-speed

I did some read write tests on the transcends cards a few months ago.

2 GB 150x SD card

2 GB 120x CF card

Take the read speed of 18.9MB/s ÷ 0.15 = 126x

The CF card exceed the spec!

The above was tested with a usb multi card reader, firewire card reader will be able to get better result.

hi, is this hd tach program free? might wana give my cards a test run..

hihi.. is your card SDHC? maybe transcend didnt state it was?

for SDHC, there are generally class 2 and class 6 cards.
class 2 = low/normal speed
class 6 = hi-speed

No, mine is not SDHC. It is the "normal" SD. Transcend manufacturers both "normal" 4GB SD as well as 4GB SDHC.

My 4GB SD is labelled ultra-speed 150x but I have proven that the write speed is far from 150x.

SDHC cards are not as fast as 150x.
Class 2 has a min write speed of 2MB/s which is about 13x
Class 6 has a min write speed of 6MB/s which is about 40x

Lucky I read this thread... was about the get the Transcend SDHC 4GB.
Is there a website that compares performance of recent SD cards... esp the SDHC ?
Help is much appreciated.... thanks. :)

Here the screenshot for the SD card test. Error in the image url, cannot edit the link.

erm, my transcend 2GB 150x SD card is averaging 5MB/s. i think the card reader is the problem. but then it states that it supports even sandisk extreme III!

sandisk extreme III @ 5MB/s? so much for high speeds!

spiegel, what usb card reader are you using? i don't want to buy another card reader just to find out that it "supports" high speed cards but can only run at low speeds... :rolleyes:

Lucky I read this thread... was about the get the Transcend SDHC 4GB.
Is there a website that compares performance of recent SD cards... esp the SDHC ?
Help is much appreciated.... thanks. :)

Hi,

The "HC" in SDHC stands for High Capacity and not High Speed. Class 2 SDHC is only min 2MB/s write speed or 13x. Class 6 SDHC is min 6MB/s or 40x. So, if you are looking for high speed cards, the SDHC cards may not be suitable. The 150x "normal" SD cards are the ones supposed to be fast. But as shown in this thread, at least the Transcend cards do not perform to the promised speed.

erm, my transcend 2GB 150x SD card is averaging 5MB/s. i think the card reader is the problem. but then it states that it supports even sandisk extreme III!

sandisk extreme III @ 5MB/s? so much for high speeds!

spiegel, what usb card reader are you using? i don't want to buy another card reader just to find out that it "supports" high speed cards but can only run at low speeds... :rolleyes:

I using Transcend multi card reader. Bought it from memory world at last year comex together with the 2 memory cards. It think only memory world selling as i don't see it being sold elsewhere. The comex bundle price was $18 but i think normal price is 30+.

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=94&LangNo=0

thanks! so its transcend readr for transcend cards.. lol..

ya, memory world sole distributor for transcend in singapore.

oh well, will wait for IT show then..

does 150X refer to read or write speed? I was under impression that 150X refers to read speeds mainly..

does 150X refer to read or write speed? I was under impression that 150X refers to read speeds mainly..

Transcend claims it refers to read speed. See my post. But for cameras, who cares about read speed?

Anyway, if the card boast of a ultra-fast read speed, shouldn't the write speed be similarly ultra-fast, even if it is not 150x. What is the point of having a card with ultra-fast read speed but ultra-slow write speed?

I think it normally refers to read speed as it is normally higher than write.

Transcend is not very clear whether it is read or write as it just mention transfer rates. :thumbsd:
http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=87&SpNo=2&LangNo=0

Other brand website seems to be clearer as it mention both read and write speeds.
Eg. http://www.kingston.com/flash/sdultimate.asp?id=2 :thumbsup:

I think it normally refers to read speed as it is normally higher than write.

Transcend is not very clear whether it is read or write as it just mention transfer rates. :thumbsd:
http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/ModDetail.asp?ModNo=87&SpNo=2&LangNo=0

Other brand website seems to be clearer as it mention both read and write speeds.
Eg. http://www.kingston.com/flash/sdultimate.asp?id=2 :thumbsup:

To end all disputes about how fast your CF or SD cards are (most of the popular brands are covere), you may want to visit this site: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Status
Not open for further replies.