Transcend 150x 4GB SD may not be 150x

Status
Not open for further replies.
To end all disputes about how fast your CF or SD cards are (most of the popular brands are covere), you may want to visit this site: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

we kinda know that already, someone posted above..
the test, dating some time back, has left out both older & newer models, thats why we're discussing this.. :D

I'm thinking of purchasing a Trascend 4gb SDHC card... Now having second thoughts!

To cut a long story short.

Can some member tell what to buy:

1) Brand-model-GBcapacity

2) The card with the fastest WRITE speed (tell us how many X)

3) Let us know the READ speed too (tell us how many X)

Although WRITE speed is crucial, who says read speed is not important?

Lastly, better check is it compatible for your digital device before you buy.

Transcend claims it refers to read speed. See my post. But for cameras, who cares about read speed?

Anyway, if the card boast of a ultra-fast read speed, shouldn't the write speed be similarly ultra-fast, even if it is not 150x. What is the point of having a card with ultra-fast read speed but ultra-slow write speed?

Hi,

Do you mind to forward the email to me..the one Transcend tech support send to you?

Lynette

I saw from your post that you mentioned Powershot S3 IS.. FYI..i had check on Transcend and Sandisk Database.

Canon Powershot S3 IS cannot support normal 4GB SD card, it must use SDHC for capacity 4GB and above.

http://www.sandisk.com/Compatibility/Device(8167)-Canon-PowerShot_S3_IS.aspx

http://www.transcendusa.com/Support/Search/index.asp?contain=Brand&axn=SingleSrh&OemID=CANON&ModelID=PowerShot+S3+IS

Hope these link helps.:)

Hi Lynette,

The relevant part of the email received from Transcend has been quoted verbatim in my first post. I don't want to post the entire email including the sender's name because he was actually rather helpful. He replied to my query very promptly.

The issue is not about compatibility. Normal 4GB SD cards ARE compatible with the S3. Many people including me have used it without any problem. The only issue I am referring to here is that the Transcend 4GB card does not perform to 150x as stated. That is all.

I don't know about 4GB SD cards that are compliant with the SDHC standard. They should work too, based on what I read. But that again says nothing about whether the card is fast enough. As I pointed out, a Class 2 SDHC has a min write speed of only 2MB/s or about 13x. Is that fast enough for the S3's continuous shooting mode? I don't think so. But can it work in the S3? Sure!

Even in the Transcend link you provided, it is stated as follows:

The original manufacturer declares the maximum stated capacity '' SDHC:8GB SD:4GB MMC:2GB ''. Transcend always advises our customers to ensure they are running the latest firmware version and to evaluate the device to determine its actual capacity size.

Transcend claims it refers to read speed. See my post. But for cameras, who cares about read speed?

Anyway, if the card boast of a ultra-fast read speed, shouldn't the write speed be similarly ultra-fast, even if it is not 150x. What is the point of having a card with ultra-fast read speed but ultra-slow write speed?

Memory isn't only for camera usage. In fact, most normal people's usage would be to read, not write to the cards. Think video, multimedia stuff. Not in Singapore, but other more advanced countries of the world.

Alot of people would prefer ultra high read speed to ultra high write speed.

As for your problem, I'll put it to 100% user problem.
S3IS is an old old device. It cannot support memory cards greater than 4GB. I doubt you read your instruction manual. I believe it's stated that it cannot support memory cards greater than 2gb.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they stated that it cannot support greater than 1gb.

Most devices now do NOT support 4GB cards. Those that do, stick to the SDHC guidelines.

Keep in mind, Caveat Emptor. If you're a faulty purchaser, don't blame the seller.

erm, my transcend 2GB 150x SD card is averaging 5MB/s. i think the card reader is the problem. but then it states that it supports even sandisk extreme III!

sandisk extreme III @ 5MB/s? so much for high speeds!

spiegel, what usb card reader are you using? i don't want to buy another card reader just to find out that it "supports" high speed cards but can only run at low speeds... :rolleyes:
You're using USB2 card reader.
The uplink bandwidth isn't as big as you hope it to be. Do you know the max theoratical speed of a USB2 connection? it's 120Mb/s / 8 = 15MB/s. Even then, a realistic expectation would be 7 - 8 MB/s. If your system databus is occupied, it can slow down to 1 - 2 MB/s.

Best solution would be to reinstall windows clean if your system keeps giving you low read/write speeds. 90% chance you've some unwanted software running in it. Of your Anti-virus is slowing it down (writing to an external device etc).

I did a quick check. Apparently Canon S3IS supports the use of SDHC cards.
If you wanna use cards greater than 2gb, go for SDHC. Else don't.

Memory isn't only for camera usage. In fact, most normal people's usage would be to read, not write to the cards. Think video, multimedia stuff. Not in Singapore, but other more advanced countries of the world.

Alot of people would prefer ultra high read speed to ultra high write speed.

As for your problem, I'll put it to 100% user problem.
S3IS is an old old device. It cannot support memory cards greater than 4GB. I doubt you read your instruction manual. I believe it's stated that it cannot support memory cards greater than 2gb.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they stated that it cannot support greater than 1gb.

Most devices now do NOT support 4GB cards. Those that do, stick to the SDHC guidelines.

Keep in mind, Caveat Emptor. If you're a faulty purchaser, don't blame the seller.

Thank you for your advice but do read carefully and check your facts before you shoot your mouth off.

You must be really nuts if you really think I (and those others who complain as well) do not know that memory cards are not just for cameras. All I said was that in the case of use in camera, write speed is far more important. If you feel that ultra fast read speed and ultra slow write speed is good for your camera, nobody's stopping you!

As for the Canon S3 IS being an old, old device, I shall not comment since you are obviously hopelessly clueless. Canon support list the following supported cards: ''SDHC:8GB SD:4GB MMC:2GB ''. Let me reiterate that the 4GB Transcend SD card does work in the S3.

Obviously, you don't get the point I am trying to make. And I won't bother to explain to you anyway.

Thank you for your advice but do read carefully and check your facts before you shoot your mouth off.

You must be really nuts if you really think I (and those others who complain as well) do not know that memory cards are not just for cameras. All I said was that in the case of use in camera, write speed is far more important. If you feel that ultra fast read speed and ultra slow write speed is good for your camera, nobody's stopping you!

As for the Canon S3 IS being an old, old device, I shall not comment since you are obviously hopelessly clueless. Canon support list the following supported cards: ''SDHC:8GB SD:4GB MMC:2GB ''. Let me reiterate that the 4GB Transcend SD card does work in the S3.

Obviously, you don't get the point I am trying to make. And I won't bother to explain to you anyway.
erm, sry.... but are you sure canon state SD:4GB? in standard, any SD card above 4GB ain't considered a 100% SD, thats where SDHC came out.

Hi ExplorerZ,

Don't be misled by the issue of whether the S3 IS supports 4GB normal SD card or not. It is a red herring. The issue is not about this or indeed about whether any particular camera supports this card.

The complaint is simply what is stated in the title i.e. the Transcend 150x 4GB cards is not as fast as it is represented to me. I mentioned the S3 only because I discovered the over-stated speed of the card during in-camera testing on my S3. Others who complained discovered the same problem when doing in-camera testing on other makes of cameras, or using some other testing means not involving cameras.

Hi ExplorerZ,

Don't be misled by the issue of whether the S3 IS supports 4GB normal SD card or not. It is a red herring. The issue is not about this or indeed about whether any particular camera supports this card.

The complaint is simply what is stated in the title i.e. the Transcend 150x 4GB cards is not as fast as it is represented to me. I mentioned the S3 only because I discovered the over-stated speed of the card during in-camera testing on my S3. Others who complained discovered the same problem when doing in-camera testing on other makes of cameras, or using some other testing means not involving cameras.

I guess if you are able to get your hands on a a SD card from Kingston or Lexar similar in speed and capacity to the Transcend 150x, then we'll know for sure that the Transcend is over-rated and put all doubters to silence. :D But based on your report, I'll probably evalute brands from Kingston and Lexar, probably Twinmos as well. I check out Twinmos website and their cards are more expensive than Transcend's. Maybe it's you get what you pay. :think:

I guess if you are able to get your hands on a a SD card from Kingston or Lexar similar in speed and capacity to the Transcend 150x, then we'll know for sure that the Transcend is over-rated and put all doubters to silence. :D But based on your report, I'll probably evalute brands from Kingston and Lexar, probably Twinmos as well. I check out Twinmos website and their cards are more expensive than Transcend's. Maybe it's you get what you pay. :think:

But isn't pricing besides the point as well? If a card is supposed to be 150x, should it be 150x, regardless of the price?

Let me explain the issue this way. Imagine you go out and buy car that is rated at a top speed of 250 km per hour. When you bring it home, you find that it can only hit 100 km per hour.

Is it a good excuse for the car seller to say that in any event, Singapore roads do not allow the car to go beyond 90 km per hour? This is similar to the remark by some poster that my camera cannot take such high speed cards, which is not true anyway.

Is it acceptable just because I paid less than for comparable brands? Of course not. Actually, it was not that cheap. In fact, if what I got was actually a 30x card, it was very, very expensive.

Anyway, as I have said, there are many people who have found that this card is extremely over-rated in speed. Not just me. I have already solved my problem by getting rid of my card. I am posting this for information only. No need to prove any point. There is now a sale for this particular card. Almost half the price I paid. Doubters should just go ahead and purchase the card to prove me wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.