Traffic updates

cycling ! in other countries cyclists got their own lane.

p8Commuters.jpg

china-bikes_dimsum.jpg

Guys... Please STOP telling LTA has got any problem... The last time we told smrt has got a major problem... They spent $10,000,000.00 yes.. $10million to ask lawyers and a judge to tell them what is the cause of problem... Bad maintenance regime... If you tell them the roads congested .. They may spend another $10mil of our money to ask sales girls from dfs to ask them to find out the cause of the jams

and to me, making sure that all vehicles filter in and out on the expressway on a single lane is good. else, you'll see people trying to enter the expressway from all directions.

How about entering from the opposite direction ;p

funny-traffic-jam-car-opposite-direction.jpg

Guys... Please STOP telling LTA has got any problem... The last time we told smrt has got a major problem... They spent $10,000,000.00 yes.. $10million to ask lawyers and a judge to tell them what is the cause of problem... Bad maintenance regime... If you tell them the roads congested .. They may spend another $10mil of our money to ask sales girls from dfs to ask them to find out the cause of the jams

Don't worry... it is not like LTA or any government agencies listen to anything we say.

Key problem is

People!

Most driver drive

too slowwwwwwww

They are blocking the flow of traffic !

They cause road accident !

yeah, some drives slow.... saw one the other day in expressway PIE lane 1 traveling at 70 or 80..... how can???

Key problem is

People!

Most driver drive

too slowwwwwwww

They are blocking the flow of traffic !

They cause road accident !

Don't so kan chiong, drive fast also accident

If you understand how our civil servants (I wonder they are still consider as one) work. The standard response and closed mind set till someone higher up gives instruction. I can't blame them as they are within the system.

Many of today's top guns are scholars and they enter the uniform groups immediately after their oversea education. They are 'groomed' to lead the civil service or even be the CEO of GLC companies. I hope that little exposures during their oversea as student will help open up their mind. Otherwise, it is status quo and play it safe.

Traffic light junctions with count down number is one good example. With our traffic light system being so 'smart', the change from red to green varies depending on the traffic condition (that was what I was given to understand) how on earth are drivers going to know when it is changing?

When a particular traffic junction camera is shooting happily and LTA is collecting lots of fines, it means something is not correct and not that the camera is effective! Hope they can think 'without the box!'

Cycling dont work here. Unless you want to cycle on pavement, else can forget it. Weather here is too hot for long distance cycling, by the time you reach your designation, you sweat like mad n dont have mood to work.

Inorder to beat the jams, best is to go out early, come back late. Singapore are too pack nowadays, due to over population. Got to stick to what been given, can't do much. :(

BBTM said:
Cycling dont work here. Unless you want to cycle on pavement, else can forget it. Weather here is too hot for long distance cycling, by the time you reach your designation, you sweat like mad n dont have mood to work.

Of course we are not getting cycling to completely replace public transport la.

My wife had an ex colleague that does more than 20km cycle to work. My ex brigade snr medic cycled from woodlands to bedok camp to and fro daily.
When I was staying westwards, I did cycle ard <10km distance to work. However it also meant I had to leave the house almost an hour earlier than usual in mornings so as to also cater time to cool down, shower, quick breakfast before work. The path I took had to involve going on roads with short stretches of strewn gravel, and having a flat was a small but possible concern, apart from the usual dangers of sharing road with vehicles.

Ryan

Inorder to beat the jams, best is to go out early, come back late. Singapore are too pack nowadays, due to over population. Got to stick to what been given, can't do much. :(

what u talking about. people cycle to avoid traffic jam. you cant cycle on pavement, tp will fined you $20. whether you are 11 yrs old or 5 yrs old, tp will ask you to cycle on road. i aint joking, source here : https://talk2lta.lta.gov.sg/DiscussionRoom?action=Public.DiscussionRoom.DisplayTopics

the only place u can cycle on pavement is tampinese.

hot wear jersey.

Last edited:
I've been cycling on the road since i was 12. And it's very dangerous. Why should they insist that kids cycle on the road when they very well know that the reaction time of youths is slower?

More prc drivers

what u talking about. people cycle to avoid traffic jam. you cant cycle on pavement, tp will fined you $20. whether you are 11 yrs old or 5 yrs old, tp will ask you to cycle on road. i aint joking, source here : https://talk2lta.lta.gov.sg/DiscussionRoom?action=Public.DiscussionRoom.DisplayTopics

the only place u can cycle on pavement is tampinese.

hot wear jersey.

Can i invite you to my area and let u face those cyclists on pavement with bell ringing like mad? Some even dont bother to have bell and cycle at high speed. So, when they come from behind and pass those drain cover, you can have a scare. TP fine them, where are the TP anyway??? Maybe sleeping in office or wait for instructions mostly else you think they willing to catch cyclist for just $20? I recall back, i know where the TP are. On the overhead bridge with cover and they catching speeder. That one more $ and relax for them.

I've been cycling on the road since i was 12. And it's very dangerous. Why should they insist that kids cycle on the road when they very well know that the reaction time of youths is slower?

Ms Irene Ng Phek Hoong asked the Minister for Transport given that cyclists are banned from riding on footways, except in Tampines, whether the Land Transport Authority will work with the Police and other relevant agencies to promote safety for cyclists on roads and come up with a coordinated national plan for improving the infrastructure and regulatory framework for cycling as a mode of transport.

Mr Teo Ser Luck (for the Minister for Transport): Mr Speaker, Sir, the Land Transport Authority, together with other relevant agencies (including the Traffic Police), has been working to create a safer riding environment for cyclists.

Given Singapore&#8217;s land constraints, our policy is to optimise our available road and pedestrian space to meet the diverse needs of pedestrians, motorists, cyclists as well as other groups of commuters and road users. To do this, we have to balance the needs of the rising number of cyclists against that of other road users and pedestrians, while cyclists, drivers and pedestrians have to exercise mutual accommodation and due consideration for each other.

One key aspect to promoting safety of cyclists on roads is public education. Having recognised the vulnerability of cyclists on the roads, Traffic Police, as well as several agencies (community and grassroots leaders and the Safe Cycling Task Force), has been conducting road safety talks and exhibitions in schools, workplaces and neighbourhoods to promote safe cycling habits. Also, based on the observation that many foreign workers had opted for cycling as a preferred mode of transport, Traffic Police has since been working closely with various foreign dormitories, corporate partners and organisations that employ a large number of foreign workers to promote safe cycling among their workers.

With regard to infrastructure, LTA is currently working with community stakeholders and the Traffic Police to roll out a $43-million programme to design and construct dedicated cycling paths in five selected HDB Towns as part of a pilot scheme, namely, Tampines, Pasir Ris, Taman Jurong, Sembawang and Yishun. These towns were selected as they had favourable local characteristics &#8211; a relatively compact geography, suitable infrastructure and land available for the cycling tracks, and also strong support for cycling. LTA is also working with the Safe Cycling Task Force (SCTF) to identify frequently used cycling routes outside of these five towns. Signs alerting motorists of the presence of cyclists have been installed along these routes and the signs have been found to be useful. LTA will continue to work with the SCTF to identify the need for similar signs at other locations.

To better coordinate these plans, and to allow each community to learn from the experience of others, the Ministry of Transport set up a Cycling Facilitation Committee (CFC) in June 2009, of which I am the Chairman. The aim of the CFC is to establish a common, community-led approach to tackle the "soft" issues related to the implementation of dedicated cycling paths in these five towns as well as best practices to facilitate cycling for intra-town trips. Currently, grassroots leaders from these five towns are represented on the CFC. Other relevant governmental and non-governmental agencies such as LTA, NParks, HDB, Police and representatives from the Safe Cycling Task Force are also in the Committee. The Committee is working to establish a common code of practice for safe cycling, public education efforts and enforcement against reckless cycling behaviour in towns that want to facilitate cycling. We should see the efforts in these five cycling towns as piloting new ideas and approaches from which we can gain useful experience and lessons for possible wider implementation as we evolve our plans to facilitate cycling.

The safety of all road users, whether they are drivers, cyclists or pedestrians, is a shared responsibility. All road users will have to play their part by following the traffic rules and regulations, and exercise mutual accommodation and due consideration for each other.

Ms Irene Ng Phek Hoong: Sir, can I urge the Senior Parliamentary Secretary not to look at the five demonstration cycling towns as models for the rest of the island but rather to look at the congested cities in the world, such as Paris, London, Geneva, Chicago, Edinburgh, which have managed to incorporate cycling into their urban transport systems with bike lanes on roads, with clear signs that indicate that cyclists have a right to be on the roads? Sir, I feel that the emphasis on Tampines or the other towns in Singapore is a red herring and might lead us in the wrong direction because what we need is a clear national policy.

On the other question of education, can I ask the Senior Parliamentary Secretary if he could work with the Traffic Police to ensure that the message is also targeted at motorists and not only at cyclists? For safe cycling to take place on roads, we need motorists to look out for them and are conditioned to look out for them.

Mr Teo Ser Luck: Sir, we have also studied the cities that the Member has mentioned, whether it is Paris or London. On trips that MOT have made, we have looked at the different road infrastructure and how they facilitate cycling. The cities face similar situations and they also have made their own trade-offs. To accommodate dedicated cycling tracks or lanes on the road, you would have to give up a certain space for other motorists and other usage. We will continue to look at other possible ways &#8211; whether to put up more effective signs or whether to locate the space for cycling on the road or on a track. Although conditions could be different from city to city, we will look at what can be customised for Singapore's environment. At this point in time, we do not just look at the five cycling towns and experiment with these. What we try to do with the five cycling towns is to look at the "soft" issues, which are education and the clinics that we are conducting across the different towns as well as certain codes of practice that the community leaders can provide us with. So we take a multi-pronged approach &#8211; we will look at not just the infrastructure in the different cities that the Member has mentioned but also the education programmes and how we actually enforce it.

In Tampines, for example, with the by-laws, they were able to enforce it at a reasonable level on the ground through the Town Councils. We have to look at whether that model of operations can actually be implemented in the other areas. It is the same for education, and infrastructure, in terms of building dedicated tracks.

As far as education for motorists is concerned, I agree with the Member that it is not just focused on our cyclists and making sure that they behave but also whether the motorists can accommodate and co-exist with cyclists. I think for this, we will work with the Traffic Police and look at the other different ways that we can educate the public &#8211; whether to have more safety awareness campaigns to alert the motorists about cyclists on the road. We will do the best we can in terms of putting up signs.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/iren...ing-and-road-safety-in-2010/10151033436833160

Last edited:
Ninelives, you wrote all these or copy somewhere? Why don't just point to the link?