Top few things to get after a DSLR

dang...
i was thinking of getting a dry cabinet for a start. shdnt get one??

If you dont wish to get a dry cabinet, at least get a dry box. It will help protect your camera. You may regret if you dont get one..:D

TIME. More time to shoot is the best thing I want now.

A person who cannot afford to buy a DSLR and uses a p&s instead will make much better images than one who uses a DSLR if he has more time to hone his photography.

Get knowledge to learn how to operate your camera, and how to take good pictures, and the basics of photography.

Cheers!
:thumbsup: This is e best answer i have seen so far.

Adding on, TS, i assume you are using a kit lens. Use this lens to judge/realise what kinda shots u will/like/want to take. From there, the choices of lenses, flash, filters n etc will be clearer

After you get everything else for your camera, then get an insurance for it. ;)

After you get everything else for your camera, then get an insurance for it. ;)
Many people suggested using time for shooting and reading. Why wasting time on finding something that is hardly offered? Insurance for clumsiness is available at Courts / HN. Everything else .. common sense gets one a long way.

:thumbsup: This is e best answer i have seen so far.

Adding on, TS, i assume you are using a kit lens. Use this lens to judge/realise what kinda shots u will/like/want to take. From there, the choices of lenses, flash, filters n etc will be clearer

i like this answer. :thumbsup:

btw i will still be judging on what kinda shots i like to take as im still a beginner.
thank u guys.

Personally feel investment in a dry cabinet is wise if you think you're gonna plunge deep into this hobby. And even if you're not, it's still wise because you can set and forget. Everytime you're not using your camera for some time, just chuck it in the cabinet. Get a 2nd hand 30L one will do... usually less than $100. Beats the hassle of having a dry box, using gels, worrying about whether the gels saturated already, replacing gels, heating gels to reuse them, worry about whether it's carcinogenic, or the humidity too dry inside, forget to change over a long time, kena fungus (this happened to someone very recently).

I bought me a 2nd hand 30L one for $80 when I first started photography with a Panasonic FZ20 and some filters. Sure, it looked lonely in there, lots of empty space. 4 or 5 years down the road, I bought my first film SLR, followed swiftly by manual lenses, dSLR, newer lenses, more filters, more cameras, etc etc... Now, my cabinet is quite full, and still working! Tell me if that isn't a good investment...

buy dry cabinet first.

shoot a lot and discover your preference in photography. landscape, macro, portrait, event or sports etc. once you zoom in to a few that you like, for me its landscape and portrait mainly. so i got tripod, flash and a 50mm, after using my kit lens 18-105mm for about 3 months.

dang...
i was thinking of getting a dry cabinet for a start. shdnt get one??

jus ga and get one for a peice of mind and the hassel free so more time can be spent on photography rather than maintenance :)

Personally feel investment in a dry cabinet is wise if you think you're gonna plunge deep into this hobby. And even if you're not, it's still wise because you can set and forget. Everytime you're not using your camera for some time, just chuck it in the cabinet. Get a 2nd hand 30L one will do... usually less than $100. Beats the hassle of having a dry box, using gels, worrying about whether the gels saturated already, replacing gels, heating gels to reuse them, worry about whether it's carcinogenic, or the humidity too dry inside, forget to change over a long time, kena fungus (this happened to someone very recently).

I bought me a 2nd hand 30L one for $80 when I first started photography with a Panasonic FZ20 and some filters. Sure, it looked lonely in there, lots of empty space. 4 or 5 years down the road, I bought my first film SLR, followed swiftly by manual lenses, dSLR, newer lenses, more filters, more cameras, etc etc... Now, my cabinet is quite full, and still working! Tell me if that isn't a good investment...

That's me... yes, do get a dry cabinet once and for all. Anything else can come in later. A new dry cabinet is only around $100 cheapest, a fraction of the cost of DSLR system. A practical thing that is used 24/7. No $100 can be put to better use on photography.

BTW, I got myself a dry cabinet. Looks better since equipments are well lay out rather than all chunk together in a box.

Last edited:
Hey there, fellow newbie here, though i might just add something, no harm right :D
just ignore if nt relevant .

Normally I like to be prepared so i bring an EXTRA CAMERA, a small digicam incase you dslr realli fails or if you run out of battery.
Another thing i have is a micro cloth, i'm nt sure if its the best way to clean the lens but i use it to wipe of the fog or dirt.
Spare batteries always come in handy but i guess that was already mentioned.

From what i've learnt from this forum so far is that lenses play a vital part, so yah focus alot of your money on lenses cause it gonna cost a bomb :D

I'm not really experienced, but glad u started this thread, then other noobs like me can learn :D

NICE ONE

All rubbish..... Get a sugar daddy/mummy to keep sponsoring the other stuffs that comes along. That is the TOP thing to get after your DSLR!
:bsmilie::bsmilie:

The bare minimum to me will be a cleaning kit and dry cabinet. A Digicabi 30L costs just around $100. Go invest in one.

As for other gears, I agree with bro GeraldKhoo - You will find out what you need along the way ;)

More you read...
More you know...
More you need...
More to buy...

The bare minimum to me will be a cleaning kit and dry cabinet. A Digicabi 30L costs just around $100. Go invest in one.

As for other gears, I agree with bro GeraldKhoo - You will find out what you need along the way ;)

Thats the best advice. For the rest you will figure out along the way as you get more familiar with your camera and which way your interest lie in.:)

imo..

if u dont have: Dry cabi. get 1..
camera bag, get a good 1 (if u gonna buy any huge lenses next time.. make sure its a backpack or something that will allow u to expand, this is important).
cleaning kit.. u need it to clean ur gear..

tripod.. most important of all as u will need it for night shots that require longer shutter times..

magazines/books u can go library to borrow.. i always do that. or find out a source to get them :D hehe.

filters hor.. if u dont have a filter, get a cheap one for lenses which are 100-300$ worth..
else.. if u like u can get B+W.. (but not very cost effective if the filter is 50$, and the lens is 160$.. righT?)

remote (if u plan on taking shots on tripods or far away from ur cam) or intervalometer remote(a timer remote, if u wanna take timelapse)

grip+ extra batteries (imo this is extra.. unless u need extra power/fps for some grips) cos it takes like hmm i dunno, 1000 shots? to empty my d90 battery completely..

More you read...
More you know...
More you need...
More to buy...

It can also be

More you know
More you realise what you don't need...