Tokina 80-200/2.8 red ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoned

May 7, 2004
Changi
www.photo.net
The older version of the current gold ring i believe. Who owns this lens and how is it? Sharpness, contrast and CA are big issues with me. Am thinking of getting one for temporary use.

Also, how much is a minty copy of this worth?

TIA

i recall seeing one copies of it at <prime>. the bottom level shelf ..try check it out there

I used to have one for canon FD 10-years ago.
Optically, it was sharp, contrasty but a bit warm. Build quality was good.

you didn't say which camera you want to use it on.

If getting the EOS version, the AF sucked big time. big, big time.
big, big , big time.

and it won't work with newer EOS bodies.

Picture sample for you
14689DSC_2553.jpg

Still using it, it's heavy though.
But built like a tank.

Yup i saw the one at prime. Looks rather dusty though.

I guess if it can't be used with newer EOS bodies then ok it's definitely not for me.

Thanks all for your help

it will still work wif digital bodies. but for film bodies, eos 3,eos 30, eos 1v and newer cannot use.

Stoned said:
Yup i saw the one at prime. Looks rather dusty though.

I guess if it can't be used with newer EOS bodies then ok it's definitely not for me.

Thanks all for your help

Must sent the old tokina AF lens to cathy to "upgrade" the AF system otherwise it wouldn't work.

I was at CP on Saturday to get a lens hood, and Florence asked if I wanted to have a look at the Tokina. I had my EOS30 and EOS300 on me and tested it on both. My impression was that the AF was really slow and loud. But for its price, I guess you get what you pay for.

pol said:
it will still work wif digital bodies. but for film bodies, eos 3,eos 30, eos 1v and newer cannot use.

Sorry, r u sure? canon dslr (those after D60) are definitely newer than the 3 film bodies u mentioned. Can somebody pls help to confirm this. I confuss already.

i do not know why but this lens can be use on all canon digital bodies. only film bodies affected

denniskee said:
Sorry, r u sure? canon dslr (those after D60) are definitely newer than the 3 film bodies u mentioned. Can somebody pls help to confirm this. I confuss already.

yes. so far, only film bodies are affect. think someone already posted an explanation in the canon sub-thread.

the tokina 80-200 red ring works fine on my 10D. but, i get err99 on my eos30 (which some says is essentially the same body as 10D). i need to re-chip in order for it to work with my eos30. figured it wasn't worth the effort, so i sold it off. ;) the current gold ring version will have no problems working with either film or dslr.

I have used it successfully with a Canon D30 body. Works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.