To return or not return trays

Are you preparing to do more? say at the same time collect the plates from fellow man who share the same table?
Why preparing? It is not uncommon in other parts of the world.

Relative insists on not returning trays at food courts and hawker centers. Her reasoning: the cleaners will be out of jobs. So the compassionate thing is not to return.

So what say you?

Tell your relatives that if you see them bleeding to death and injured after a car accident, you will not do anything to help them, so that undertakers will have a job.

打包 for your whole village to eat. :bsmilie:

Can feed a whole village of cats :bsmilie:
cats-34171336461_xlarge.jpeg

Tell your relatives that if you see them bleeding to death and injured after a car accident, you will not do anything to help them, so that undertakers will have a job.

If they haven't die, then it is the ambulance job :bsmilie:

Among the first world nations only in Singapore "To return trays or not" is the biggest social issue.

Let's ponder about that in silence for a minute.

:)

To eat or not to eat is the biggest social issue :bsmilie:

To return or not return trays is the second biggest social issue because it comes after eating :bsmilie:

If you don't eat, then there will not be any return tray issue and you will also slim down, reduce cholesterol :bsmilie:

Reactions: hanzohattori
I think many people now consider what to eat as the more important issue :)

We have said so much..

Let's us start from Clubsnap!

1. Clear your own mess and put them in the tray.
2. Clear all other mess on the table e.g. those left by your fellowman.
3. Return tray to the collection point.

Let's not ponder.. let's do it!!!!!

We have said so much.. Let's us start from Clubsnap! 1. Clear your own mess and put them in the tray. 2. Clear all other mess on the table e.g. those left by your fellowman. 3. Return tray to the collection point. Let's not ponder.. let's do it!!!!!

But you are just letting companies who already charged us for the service to fatten their profit and worse deprive our uncles and aunties of work!

But you are just letting companies who already charged us for the service to fatten their profit and worse deprive our uncles and aunties of work!

How about telling us your own view.... instead of Stirring... :bsmilie:

Last edited:
How about telling us your own view.... instead of Stirring... :bsmilie:

If I see aunties prowling around, I bring the trays to them. Else if they are too busy at tray stations, I return to tray station. If there is no obvious way to return the trays, I will at least gather all my utensils to one corner of the table. I will also try my best to clean the table if I have tissue.

Either way, I make sure I say "thank you" to the cleaners.

It's just that I have not come up with a convincing counter argument to my relative. This is especially since one cleaner auntie confirmed it (without prompting) once when we tried to return the trays. More than once and in different places, I have observed that the supervisors treat the cleaners pretty badly (at least verbally) - they are really slave drivers. Of course, the supervisors are employees too but it seems to reflect the "tight ship" that the cleaning company is running - they have no qualms firing someone for sure.

Last edited:
If I see aunties prowling around, I bring the trays to them. Else if they are too bust at tray stations, I return to tray station. I will also try my best to clean the table if I have tissue.

Either way, I make sure I say "thank you" to them.

It's just that I have not come up with a convincing counter argument to my relative. This is especially since one cleaner auntie confirmed it (without prompting) once when we tried to return the trays.

I don't see why you must come out with anything to counter at all... lead by example and do the right thing, BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO... :bsmilie:

I don't see why you must come out with anything to counter at all... lead by example and do the right thing, BECAUSE ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO... :bsmilie:

Of course I do what I do. Just not shiok lor - especially when she keeps teaching kids that principle.

Of course I do what I do. Just not shiok lor - especially when she keeps teaching kids that principle.

If its her kids... then there is nothing you can do... if its your kids... them tell her to please refrain from teaching them such nonsense... if its neither her's or yours... then after she leave... go and set the kid straight... ;)

In the first place you help the cleaner having an easier job for the same money if you just return the tray to the cleaner.
The argument of "depriving of work" is short-sighted. Overall I would ask why a person above 65 needs to do such jobs to have a living instead of being at home for family and kids. And why a society in a developed country (isn't this was SG claims to be?) happily accepts that its seniors do such low level cleaning jobs when technical solutions are already available.
While there might be a few who just want to do a job instead of being at home, there are many who would opt otherwise if they could.

Lead by example and tell these kids that you help the cleaner having it a bit easier, since she's old than you. Well, you might get a strange look from her. But if you drive the message back home with the kids then it's not all lost.

To eat or not to eat is the biggest social issue :bsmilie: To return or not return trays is the second biggest social issue because it comes after eating :bsmilie: If you don't eat, then there will not be any return tray issue and you will also slim down, reduce cholesterol :bsmilie:

How about To **** or how to **** be the third biggest social issue