To return or not return trays

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
Relative insists on not returning trays at food courts and hawker centers. Her reasoning: the cleaners will be out of jobs. So the compassionate thing is not to return.

So what say you?

Foxshade

Jun 26, 2009
In cat's stomach
Returning tray, doesn't shorten my life span, and not returning tray also does not lengthen my lifespan. I'm confused. Shall I return tray or not har? :dunno:

Returning tray, doesn't shorten my life span, and not returning tray also does not lengthen my lifespan. I'm confused. Shall I return tray or not har? :dunno:
Returning trays your next life will meet with such happy karma: :bsmilie:

Last edited:

diver-hloc

Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Somewhere North
Relative insists on not returning trays at food courts and hawker centers. Her reasoning: the cleaners will be out of jobs. So the compassionate thing is not to return.

So what say you?

Only correct when we should also Steal & Kill so that Police can keep their job... do share your relative address here.... :bsmilie:

Edwin Francis

Mar 24, 2006
www.sgwriter.com
Pretty weak reasoning, as Diver-hloc has pointed out.

Some of the more selfish ones even say it's not their jobs -- it's the cleaners'.

Clearing your table isn't just to help the cleaners, it's for the sake of the next user too (esp at peak hours). Each of us IS that next user at some point. Do you like clearing the crap left behind by the last guy, esp the messier ones?

Clear up. It's just good manners.

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com

So what say you?
so can we don't flush toilets after we used?
this will help other more people able to get jobs right?

mettaxu

Jan 25, 2012
Basically it's all about profits- these smart capitalists wants to increase profits but making use of cleaners and public's goodwill as an excuse. If the food prices are reasonable at $2.50 for hawker food, then I gladly clear trays for them. But they are charging ridiculously high prices for hawker food $4-$9 and thus they better be providing better cleaning services. They tender to pay millions for their coffeehouse takeover fees so don't expect to pass the costs down to us citizens. U expect us to clear trays, u sell cheap. u sell expensive u hire more cleaners- simple. If complain rental expensive, then u choose your government wisely - choose wrong government and everything increase price - ERP, Food, rental, car, minister salaries, etc. Remember the plastic bag saga? Capitalists want to increase profit so they use environment as excuse to stop providing free plastic bags but in the end they still provide but they charge 10c per bags how clever they are. All of a sudden , using 'save the earth ' as excuse, costs plummet and profits go up, and citizens pay more. Now the same is happening with tray clearing...

hanzohattori

Apr 16, 2010
I'm not defending those who are lazy to return their trays. But police and cleaners have two different master.
One is the gov, the other is profit seeking private companies/individuals. I have no doubt once they don't need cleaners anymore,
they will be laid off. Isn't outsourcing already the current norm?

Basically it's all about profits- these smart capitalists wants to increase profits but making use of cleaners and public's goodwill as an excuse. If the food prices are reasonable at $2.50 for hawker food, then I gladly clear trays for them. But they are charging ridiculously high prices for hawker food $4-$9 and thus they better be providing better cleaning services. They tender to pay millions for their coffeehouse takeover fees so don't expect to pass the costs down to us citizens. U expect us to clear trays, u sell cheap. u sell expensive u hire more cleaners- simple. If complain rental expensive, then u choose your government wisely - choose wrong government and everything increase price - ERP, Food, rental, car, minister salaries, etc. Remember the plastic bag saga? Capitalists want to increase profit so they use environment as excuse to stop providing free plastic bags but in the end they still provide but they charge 10c per bags how clever they are. All of a sudden , using 'save the earth ' as excuse, costs plummet and profits go up, and citizens pay more. Now the same is happening with tray clearing...
Capitalism is going to ruin this country one day.

What we want to do is to turn this country into a big commune where everybody takes turn to work as cleaners in foodcourts. :)

Bukitimah

Nov 28, 2010
Singapore
Currently, our existing hawker centres don't have this provision in their design. They are designed to ensure maximum returns on rental. Try returning a tray in Golden Shoe hawker centre. You are lucky you can squeeze pass between the bins and the queue.

NEA should start some basic design criteria for hawker centre. After so many years operating hawker centres, we still far for the basic needs.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
I always tell my kids return own trays. Now they return automatically without me telling them.
One time, the cleaner say i should not do that.

Last edited:

richiemccaw1

Feb 21, 2013
Singapore
I think returning of trays is a win-win situation. Not only does someone else get to use the table soon after we finish, we also get reminded everyday that we need to 'clean up our own ****'. Good lesson in being responsible!

keithwee

Staff member
Aug 20, 2010
LittleRedDot
Return. :) as long as the eateries do upgrade the environment to be suitable for tray returns. (More stations , accessible etc)

These aunties won't be out of a job la aiyo (u still need people to wipe the tables ; have u seen how people mess up their tables ?)

and really, these is part of good table manners. I make it a point to to return the trays and my friends (sorry haha) to do so too.

Top Bottom