Thoughts on LEICA M ?

M240 and my M9P
IMG_1599_zps63956413.jpg

Errr... I got nervous seeing the M so near the edge of the table... :eek:

Why so far all photos of the new M are the silver one? Is it nicer than the black colour? I have not seen the actual camera yet.

Kayaro888,
You managed to get the Leica R adaptor? From Leica SG?

Just stepped out if Raffles Leica store after "molesting" the M. Liked what i saw, especially the LCD screen and high ISO capability. However, I am sceptical about the EVF as it felt odd. I definitely can frame and focus faster with the RF viewfinder.

sillbeers15 said:
Far far away,
Unfortunately the rear tump wheel hump isn,t as profile and provide as much grip as the 'Thumps up' attachment.
To support R tele lens with one hand requires the addition of the handgrip.

I see. Hopefully the newly designed thumbs up will be designed in a way so as to make sure the built in grip does not get in the way.

I see. Hopefully the newly designed thumbs up will be designed in a way so as to make sure the built in grip does not get in the way.

I hope so. I tried the new M this afternoon. The rear hump is really not sufficient to provide a good grip, especially for those who have use "thumbs up" or equivalent.

wstam said:
I hope so. I tried the new M this afternoon. The rear hump is really not sufficient to provide a good grip, especially for those who have use "thumbs up" or equivalent.

I see. Hopefully the new thumbsup for the M will be able to tackle this problem or else it will be a real bummer to change the top plate just to use the thumbsup.

Some how the photos do not look as good (actually they are bad) as those shown in the Oly MFT Pics Gallery thread.

It may be that the photographers who own ultra expensive Leica M bodies and lenses, are not good photographers. They can afford and love the expensive equipment for its own sake (nothing wrong with that).

This is not a flame bait statement. Just look at the two threads and see if you agree with me.

Equipment is just equipment. It is the photographer handling the equipment who counts.

When the equipment is so expensive, users are concerned about accidentally scratching, denting or damaging the camera body or lens. So photos are gingerly taken with utmost great care over the equipment, but less emphasis on the subject being photographed. Then the precious camera and lenses are quickly wrapped or put back in their protective cocoon/bag.
Any damage would severely affect the resale value.
There is so much fussing over perceived status conferred by the equipment that the photograph comes a distant second.

If the camera+lenses are extremely expensive and you can afford to own them, good for you. We are happy for you.

Last edited:
Some how the photos do not look as good (actually they are bad) as those shown in the Oly MFT Pics Gallery thread.

It may be that the photographers who own ultra expensive Leica M bodies and lenses, are not good photographers. They can afford and love the expensive equipment for its own sake (nothing wrong with that).

This is not a flame bait statement. Just look at the two threads and see if you agree with me.

Equipment is just equipment. It is the photographer handling the equipment who counts.

If the camera+lenses are extremely expensive and you can afford to own them, good for you. We are happy for you.

I think there is a huge difference between a bunch of test shots and shots that you take and are proud of. One is taken quickly just to see what the camera is capable of and the other takes time.

In this case, the forum asked for test shots so that we can see some real output from the new M. We should be looking at the sensor output (ISO etc) rather than composition or whether the owner is a good photographer or not. The camera has been out less than a week and that is barely enough time to familiarize yourself with a new tool and to go out and get some meaningful shots. Bear in mind that most here are hobbyists and not pro photographers and we have day jobs that require most of our attention.

Having said all that, what lens was used? How did you focus? Rangefinder or focus peaking? Aperture and shutter speed? The high ISO images look very soft to me. But then that has been happening alot, with images looking soft on my retina MBP but in reality they are actually quite sharp.

Lastly, please keep posting pictures from the new M. Alot of us that are still waiting for ours can't get enough!

Last edited:

When the equipment is so expensive, users are concerned about accidentally scratching, denting or damaging the camera body or lens. So photos are gingerly taken with utmost great care over the equipment, but less emphasis on the subject being photographed. Then the precious camera and lenses are quickly wrapped or put back in their protective cocoon/bag.

Just did some test shots with new M and FLE, as below in OOC Jpegs. Sorry if photobucket's resolution not as good is shown here as the original ones in my comp is pretty awesome. Thanks.

L1008635_zps5b281d1b.jpg

L1008637_zps69c77afa.jpg

:bsmilie:

There is so much fussing over perceived status conferred by the equipment that the photograph comes a distant second.

I'm seriously not seeing the point of pontificating on the top of a pedestal, really.

zixaw,
Thanks for the kind explanation. Yes, I was only posing test shots as some of us are anxious to know.

I only use my 35mm Lux FLE @f1.4 for all the shots. Most of the shots were still relying on OVF. 4 shots in poorly lit environment showed much improved High ISO over M9.

The comparison shld be done between the various digital Ms..

Cough**...we all know tat leica is still lacking a little on digital
it will nvr beat any of the digital products that are already in the market..be it iso, color, sensor.....well...not talking about system here are we??? since that was mentioned above..

Last edited:
The comparison shld be done between the various digital Ms..

Cough**...we all know tat leica is still lacking a little on digital
it will nvr beat any of the digital products that are already in the market..be it iso, color, sensor.....well...not talking about system here are we??? since that was mentioned above..

Uh I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or not:)

I don't know about the M but with the exception of high ISO, the M9 and Monochrom puts out some of the best files and this is coming from a sensor that is 3.5 years old. Even till today, if I get it right, I cannot replicate the shot with another sensor.

The combination of a fully customized CCD sensor, no AA filter and the glass creates a very unique combination.

wah liao...i had to google to find out what 50aa was...

Forget about some noise. Please keep sharing more M images! Thanks for your time and effort for sharing!

The M is being offered at cut throat price in SG and to make things worst, you can only buy it bundled with a lens. Its totally nonsense to me.

Doesn't take a genius to figure whats not moving in their inventory to pull off such moves.

But alas, I'm sure there are people who will still take the bait. :)

Not being sarcastic..but y do u need to replicate a shot from an outdated sensor?:) its like saying..i cant replicate a shot from a canon 400d when de 600d prove a better sensor?

Sorry, nv use it before so trying to understand if the sensor is something special? If u r talking about building a digital rf..den yes i agree its nt easy..