Thoughts on LEICA M ?

Dfive

Nov 20, 2008
Singapore lah....
www.clubsnap.com
Whats everybody's thoughts on the coming LEICA M ? :think:

Who's buying, or has one on order.... ?

Seeking thoughts on this new beast..... money and crazy depreciation aside... what you think ??? :dunno:

I'm considering Leica again.... as it's fixed the things I once hated ( and sold ) on my M9-P :

1. Crap high ISO... sorry lack of any high ISO !
2. LCD Screen... no res.
3. Weather Sealing.... none.

Seeking thoughts on this new beast..... money and crazy depreciation aside... what you think ??? :dunno:

I'm considering Leica again.... as it's fixed the things I once hated ( and sold ) on my M9-P :

2. LCD Screen... no res.
I would get the Leica M if luck befalls on me to hit group 1 in Toto prize money. It would be nice to really have a digital M but I just cant justify the purchase.

I've been shooting film Ms for quite awhile, under heavy dust conditions, below freezing temp + rain, dry heat
So far, it doesnt have weather sealings, an LCD or high iso but it is still pushing pictures out.

The last time I visited Leica Store at Raffles in end Dec 2012 to grab a filter, there were already more than 60 in the pre-order listing.

Probably the list would have grew longer by now, and that's just the Leica Store. Not sure about the other dealers.

2. LCD Screen... no res.

All good things said about rangefinder focusing does not help me to experience 'hit & miss' focusing objects on 90mm and longer lens. So the M240 will hopefully resolve my focusing needs and provide me a more comprehensive range of lenses currently limited by optical view finder of an M9 (28mm to 135mm).

It has been a miserable long wait ever since I have sold my m9 and preordered a M240.
..............................................I can't wait to get my hands on my own Leica M240!

60 in preorder list from Leica store in Raffles hotel in Dec 2012?...My last checked in Dec '12 was only 10!

Any news from anyone on Leica shipping out its first batch of M240s? All I heard was end Feb/ early Mar'12.

Last edited:
sillbeers15 said:
All good things said about rangefinder focusing does not help me to experience 'hit & miss' focusing objects on 90mm and longer lens. So the M240 will hopefully resolve my focusing needs and provide me a more comprehensive range of lenses currently limited by optical view finder of an M9 (28mm to 135mm).

It has been a miserable long wait ever since I have sold my m9 and preordered a M240.
..............................................I can't wait to get my hands on my own Leica M240!

60 in preorder list from Leica store in Raffles hotel in Dec 2012?...My last checked in Dec '12 was only 10!

Any news from anyone on Leica shipping out its first batch of M240s? All I heard was end Feb/ early Mar'12.

Still no realistic news on launch date. Guess only a lucky few will get hands on it in sg earliest march. Hopefully d production model will b awesome n defect free when its launches.

As usual, there will be heavy shortage in the beginning - with some "lucky" few picking theirs and some may be selling quickly at a profit to those who can't wait - if there is no defects or issues with software/hardware of the first batch of course.

Still quite happy with my M9P though, and probably won't get the new M unless it is a big improvement. My M9P is getting a brand new sensor soon though the sensor is taking a long time to reach!

Still no realistic news on launch date. Guess only a lucky few will get hands on it in sg earliest march. Hopefully d production model will b awesome n defect free when its launches.

As usual, there will be heavy shortage in the beginning - with some "lucky" few picking theirs and some may be selling quickly at a profit to those who can't wait - if there is no defects or issues with software/hardware of the first batch of course.

Still quite happy with my M9P though, and probably won't get the new M unless it is a big improvement. My M9P is getting a brand new sensor soon though the sensor is taking a long time to reach!

cant help but wonder what kinda big improvement r u looking for? Seems the new M is already a big step ahead in terms of technology as compared to the M9 & M9P? I guess many purists will wonder if the output IQ will be as good as the M9 or M9P. The existing examples of the photos by the M is still not up to mark IMHO.

On the pre-order list since September, after it was announced in Photokina. Meanwhile my M9-P and MP is keeping me company! Looking forward to the improvement in ISO and focus peaking mainly, though I find the M9 ISO still usable with a wide aperture.

I heard its mid MAR for first deliveries...... but I'll always wait 3-6 months for it to reveal issues that will come up ;)

Quality control must be good u say? May I remind you of the 787 Dreamliner....... :bigeyes:

2. LCD Screen... no res.
I would be more worried about dust on the sensor than weather sealing. The former has been the real bane on the Leica Digital M series. Weather sealing is rather pointless when the lenses themselves have none.

NazgulKing said:
I would be more worried about dust on the sensor than weather sealing. The former has been the real bane on the Leica Digital M series. Weather sealing is rather pointless when the lenses themselves have none.

N no in body sensor cleaning capabilities. Haha. Well. There's only so much u can out inside such a compact body. Give n take.

Same thoughts. The sensor of my M9P gotta change sensor due to dust and stains. Lucky only 1 year old and within warranty. If not will cost $2K for this sensor change.

Hope the new sensor of the Leica M is not so prone to dust.

I heard its mid MAR for first deliveries...... but I'll always wait 3-6 months for it to reveal issues that will come up ;)

Quality control must be good u say? May I remind you of the 787 Dreamliner....... :bigeyes:

No need to even look at the Dreamliner... Just think of the M8 and M9 issues lol....

2. LCD Screen... no res.

Personally I would like one. My M9 spends a lot of time at ISO 800 and up, at times even to 2500, though I really tried to avoid that.

I also shoot wide open a lot so I don't really see the dust issues with my sensor, and I m certainly not going to worry myself by going to look for them :)

The ability to shoot at higher ISOs with cleaner and more malleable files would be enough reason for me to upgrade. But I probably will not because I just bought M9 only in Sep 2012 and I do hope to get at least 3-5 years out of it first :p

Meanwhile I will spend on fast lenses....

Personally I would like one. My M9 spends a lot of time at ISO 800 and up, at times even to 2500, though I really tried to avoid that.

I also shoot wide open a lot so I don't really see the dust issues with my sensor, and I m certainly not going to worry myself by going to look for them :)

The ability to shoot at higher ISOs with cleaner and more malleable files would be enough reason for me to upgrade. But I probably will not because I just bought M9 only in Sep 2012 and I do hope to get at least 3-5 years out of it first :p

Meanwhile I will spend on fast lenses....

Smart for the good glass bro !

Dfive said:
over SGD 1,000,000 worth !!! wow so many people rich here !! :eek:

Rich ppl making Leica richer.