THIS IS ANFIELD!! - LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB! Season XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
TOUGH TORRES TAKES HITS IN HIS STRIDE​

Fernando Torres insists he has stood up to batterings from English defenders he would never face in Spain.

The Liverpool striker has scored 21 goals in 31 games for his new club, and boss Rafael Benitez concedes one of the main reasons the club splashed out a record fee on the Spain international was because of his bravery.

Torres underlined that with a hat-trick against Middlesbrough last weekend despite a bruising clash with defenders Emanuel Pogatetz and David Wheater.

Now Torres is out to add to his tally at Bolton on Sunday against a team known for their no-nonsense defending.

Another Spanish striker at Liverpool, Fernando Morientes, never got to grips with the physical aspects of the Premier League, but Torres certainly has.

He has scored nine goals in his last nine league games, and is closing in on 20 league goals for the club.

Benitez expects the former Atletico Madrid man to become the first Liverpool striker to score 20 league goals in a season since Robbie Fowler in 1995-96.

Torres said: "There are so many strong defenders here. But I have settled, I have scored goals and I have coped with the physical side.

"But it is true that I would not be getting hit in the back all the time in Spain like I am here.

"I am happy with the way I have learned to cope with the physical side of the English game."

Benitez added: "Fernando has done so well in his first season. Now if he keeps going, does not have any injuries, he will score plenty more.

"We signed him because we believed he had the quality, pace and strength for the Premier League. Also, because he is young, he can grow and improve at this level even more.

"He has adapted to the physical side of the English game very well. He is strong and can handle big defenders.

"In Spain he would not continually be hit from the back, but that is the way it is here and he has learned to cope.

"We signed him because we knew he would not be afraid of the centre-backs, he would be brave and be able to cope with that style of defending."

The Spanish superstar has so far netted 21 in all competitions - 15 of which have come in the Premier League. And with 12 league games remaining, Benitez is confident his record signing can reach other milestones.

Benitez said: "Hopefully he will score more than 20 in the league, that would be really good for us. That would be amazing.

"He is a young player, a foreign player and a striker and we know how difficult it can be for these types of players. But I don't really set targets, I just talk to him about scoring a lot of goals."

Torres is currently in line to become the most prolific 'debut season' striker in Liverpool's post-war history.

His average of a goal every 1.48 games is more than John Aldridge (1.55), Ian Rush (1.63), Roger Hunt (1.65), Robbie Fowler (1.83), Michael Owen (1.91) and Kenny Dalglish (2) managed in their first full seasons.

Benitez predicts that a player he already regards as one of Europe's finest could get even better.

He said: "He wants to learn, he wants to improve. That is the key. He is a young player and wants to learn everything.

"He knows he can improve, and that is one of the reasons he decided to come here. He wanted to win trophies but he also knew he could improve here, that is important for the future and for him.

"He is one of the best in Europe but he will get better because his mentality is good. He can improve two or three things and they will make him much better. He knows what they are but it's better not to say because then the opponents will know."

REDS OPEN CROUCH TALKS​

Liverpool are in talks with Peter Crouch over a new deal at Anfield.

Crouch's future at Liverpool has been the subject of intense speculation for some time as the player has struggled to hold down a regular place in Rafa Benitez's side.

The likes of Manchester City and Portsmouth have been linked with the England international, but Liverpool are ready to end speculation over Crouch's future by tying him down to a new long-term contract.

Benitez says talks with Crouch are ongoing and that the player has expressed a desire to remain at the club.

"We have been talking about a new contract with Crouch and the player has told me that he wants to stay," said Benítez.

"The agent was talking to Rick Parry and said that the player wanted to talk."

for my health, pls sell dirty kite n zeronin.

sian.

gooners making it really exciting.

:thumbsd:

gooners equalised!
they made it tight for themselve at the top and made it tight for us too
idiots

tas y.

kkj leh.

make us all so ganchiong.

luckily they pull level.
:bsmilie:

Arse escaped with a draw when i thought they should have won the game.

Anyway the what happen to the top 3 doesnt matter to LFC fans la. ;):bsmilie:

Let's get ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 28 points
2) roadrunner 22 points
3) jfoo 20 points
4) kelccm 15 points
5) dfstan 13 points
6) blazer_works 12 points
7) canew 11 points
8) airfins 11 points
9) zhapchit 10 points
10) grumpy 9 points
11) roDz 6 points
12) xen0275 4 points
13). estronutz 3 points
14). nemesis32 2 points
15). parchiao 2point
16). zan82 2point
17). dnd 1 point
18). mpenza 1 point

bolton vs. LIVERPOOL!

Reebok stadium
Sunday, 2 March
Kick-off: 1330 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/7260401.stm

1). 2-0 LIVERPOOL WIN!(Torres, Gerrard) crazy cheesecake
2). 3-1 Liverpool win (Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres) dfstan
3). 1-0 Liverpool Win (Gerrard) blazer_workz
4). 2-1 Liverpool Win (Torres, Torres) zan82
5). 2-0 Liverpool wins! (1st.: F. Torres, Last: S. Gerrard) Canew
6). 3-2 Liverpool win! (Torres, Torres) kelccm
7). 4-2 Liverpool Win (Torres, Torres, Crouch, S. Gerrard) boresome
8). 2-1 Liverpool Win (Torres, Gerrard) Taurean
9). 4-0 Liverpool Win (Torres, Crouch) parchiao
10). 2-0 Liverpool Win (Torres, Torres) jfoo

Arse escaped with a draw when i thought they should have won the game.

Anyway the what happen to the top 3 doesnt matter to LFC fans la. ;):bsmilie:

whether it happens or not, WE SONG can liao. :cool:

it doesn't apply to clubs below 1st placing anyway. arsenal are goin to lift the EPL title. :cool:

Let's get ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) Cheesecake 28 points
2) roadrunner 22 points
3) jfoo 20 points
4) kelccm 15 points
5) dfstan 13 points
6) blazer_works 12 points
7) canew 11 points
8) airfins 11 points
9) zhapchit 10 points
10) grumpy 9 points
11) roDz 6 points
12) xen0275 4 points
13). estronutz 3 points
14). nemesis32 2 points
15). parchiao 2point
16). zan82 2point
17). dnd 1 point
18). mpenza 1 point

bolton vs. LIVERPOOL!

Reebok stadium
Sunday, 2 March
Kick-off: 1330 GMT

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/7260401.stm

1). 2-0 LIVERPOOL WIN!(Torres, Gerrard) crazy cheesecake
2). 3-1 Liverpool win (Kuyt, Gerrard, Torres) dfstan
3). 1-0 Liverpool Win (Gerrard) blazer_workz
4). 2-1 Liverpool Win (Torres, Torres) zan82
5). 2-0 Liverpool wins! (1st.: F. Torres, Last: S. Gerrard) Canew
6). 3-2 Liverpool win! (Torres, Torres) kelccm
7). 4-2 Liverpool Win (Torres, Torres, Crouch, S. Gerrard) boresome
8). 2-1 Liverpool Win (Torres, Gerrard) Taurean
9). 4-0 Liverpool Win (Torres, Crouch) parchiao
10). 2-0 Liverpool Win (Torres, Torres) jfoo
11). 1-0 Liverpool Win (Torres) roadrunner

whether it happens or not, WE SONG can liao. :cool:

it doesn't apply to clubs below 1st placing anyway. arsenal are goin to lift the EPL title. :cool:

It remains to be seen if Man, Arse or even Chelsksi would lift the EPL. Arse has a slender 1 pt lead.

you can SONG if LFC can make it to 5th. :bsmilie:

2.3.08 Bolton vs LFC: Confirmed line-up

Jose Reina
Jamie Carragher
Martin Skrtel
Sami Hyypia
Fabio Aurelio
Steve Gerrard
Javier Mascherano
Xabi Alonso
Ryan Babel
Dirk Kuyt