The Unicorn has Finally Appeared - Pentax Announces its FF camera at CP+

It's just a dummy set. Ricoh is still asking for users' suggestions on what features are wanted/needed in this new camera, I guess we'd be lucky if we really see this camera come out before Christmas. Which might be a good thing, so they can sell some more KS2 before the FF comes out :D

http://community.us.ricoh-imaging.com/t5/Full-Frame/Full-Frame-Market-Launch-2015/td-p/1625

If a company at this stage is still on the fence and having to ask for users' suggestions, then I fear this company really doesn't know what direction it wants to go. Playing catch up is really difficult in the commercial world when you're not even no.2.

If a company at this stage is still on the fence and having to ask for users' suggestions, then I fear this company really doesn't know what direction it wants to go. Playing catch up is really difficult in the commercial world when you're not even no.2.

Perhaps Ricoh is adopting the Blue Ocean Strategy...:think:

It's just a dummy set. Ricoh is still asking for users' suggestions on what features are wanted/needed in this new camera, I guess we'd be lucky if we really see this camera come out before Christmas. Which might be a good thing, so they can sell some more KS2 before the FF comes out :D

http://community.us.ricoh-imaging.com/t5/Full-Frame/Full-Frame-Market-Launch-2015/td-p/1625

I am excited and happy now!

Nowadays, 3D print is commonly used for prototypes before finalizing the toolings.
To get to the 3D print, they usually have to pass the mechanical drawing to the vendor (as the printer needs it to know how to print)
So likely, the design is pretty far down the process. (ie. some engineer/s took the hard time to draw up the mechanical dwgs)

I was just laughing the other time during Photokina 2014 that they only managed to come up with 2 black PVC pipes and call them tele lenses.
But they sure surprised me with the quick turnaround with presenting the actual lenses by CP+.
So who knows.....

That thread on asking for suggestions is just that.
Free marketing and perhaps truly fishing for ideas that they can add in IF its doable and not much of a hassle.

I remain optimistic.
We have not been closer to this (er....since 2001 :D )

Hehe... Those are really strong words man.. Like saying Fuji will die for what they do also; similar.

I think, so long as got K mount FF, can already. And like I've said, new technologies are good, especially so for companies who spearhead new ones.

Pentax, like Xiaomi, will just stand by and watch. Then once it's "old", which nowadays means 1 year since conception, they'll be able to get that component for much, much cheaper for further development.

Doesn't that sound similar to smart shoppers? Watch and cheer people to buy new lenses/bodies, while we wait for used ones, which means further "discount"?

And nobody goes underwater for doing that. It's a matter of patience and strategic thinking.. ;)

PS: Look at Xiaomi's financial standing now.. ;)

Last edited:
Nowadays, 3D print is commonly used for prototypes before finalizing the toolings.
To get to the 3D print, they usually have to pass the mechanical drawing to the vendor (as the printer needs it to know how to print)
So likely, the design is pretty far down the process. (ie. some engineer/s took the hard time to draw up the mechanical dwgs)

I was just laughing the other time during Photokina 2014 that they only managed to come up with 2 black PVC pipes and call them tele lenses.
But they sure surprised me with the quick turnaround with presenting the actual lenses by CP+.
So who knows.....

That thread on asking for suggestions is just that.
Free marketing and perhaps truly fishing for ideas that they can add in IF its doable and not much of a hassle.

I remain optimistic.
We have not been closer to this (er....since 2001 :D )

Yeah, we've never been so close to Pentax FF. Hopefully this year they won't disappoint us.

If a company at this stage is still on the fence and having to ask for users' suggestions, then I fear this company really doesn't know what direction it wants to go.

The direction to built a Perfect Pentax FF for the True Pentaxian

The direction to built a Perfect Pentax FF for the True Pentaxian

No need perfect in my opinion. But way to go! More user stories added into their FF projects. And getting ready for firmware upgrades with enhancements! The Ricoh way!!!

Seriously, I don't think they completely lost their know-how of how to manufacture a DSLR. I really think they must have most of it captured already. But possibly fishing out for any further bells and whistles they can introduce?

I hope they add "Live Bulb", "Live Composite" as enhancements.

Last edited:
Yeah, we've never been so close to Pentax FF. Hopefully this year they won't disappoint us.

They had better not ....already seeing many K3's in B n S forum ...... ;)

I believe they already have a working prototype and still gathering alot info from pentaxians and hope to fine tune and make the best ff dslr the people out there like us. They made, listen and adjust and finally a people's choice camera. :)

Looking at some Bro using the Sony A7 series with Pentax lenses..... esp the FA77Ltd..... saliva dripping all over..... I got high hope for Pentax FF..... :heart:

I believe they already have a working prototype and still gathering alot info from pentaxians and hope to fine tune and make the best ff dslr the people out there like us. They made, listen and adjust and finally a people's choice camera. :)

Borrowed from Dpreview:
Ricoh shows a lump of plastic and Pentaxians are overjoyed./

Go read it.... good for a few chuckles ....... :)

ZENTEN, the article at New Camera News refer to "Pentaxicans" NOT Pentaxians.

..... Mexican Pentax user?.... so did did find the article amusing?

..... Mexican Pentax user?.... so did did find the article amusing?

Reading your replies is much more amusing throughout the threads in Pentax subforum here. I sincerely hope whatever camera you're using you'll find it 'serious' enough.

Reading your replies is much more amusing throughout the threads in Pentax subforum here. I sincerely hope whatever camera you're using you'll find it 'serious' enough.

..... ....I am also using a K mount camera....... seriously. :)

Last edited: