The Pixel Shift Diaries

Wow....jk u really go go go. �� stuff

Wow,

I am blown away by the degree of clarity and level of details. Thanks for sharing the work flow.

As usual, my aim has always been to encourage exploration and discussion.
I'm only one person, so there's limited things I can try and think of.
Imagine if more can take it up, we get more ideas and methods.

I sure hope more will take up the activity/discussion.

I'd wanted to do some pixel shift of dragonflies or butterflies, but seems like the usual spot where I can find them don't have them today, probably due to the wrong season.

So I went for some other natural stuff instead.
Found these rather large cherries littering the ground, and they made for some nice subjects with their various stages of decay.

The natural process by jenkwang, on Flickr

Flickr compresses things even at full size so here is a full sized one on Google Drive instead :
Important! : 100% via this Google Drive view is going all the way in via the " + " and then backing out with " " - " by one.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6LPWv_uvvjpNS0xUnVGZUFvdGc

Last edited:

Relic of War by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+Vivitar 55/2.8 macro

Re-visiting shooting pixel shift with a flash.
One flash on grid as the key light and a bicycle light on the background.

Pixel shift is possible if the shutter speed between the pixel shift is long enough to fire off a flash at each frame.
However, RT motion detection seems to mask off quite a bit of the areas.
Perhaps the slight variation in flash power within each frame is detected?

I'd have to try more in the future to compare.

Let me know what you think...

Flickr compresses things even at full size so here is a full sized one on Google Drive instead :
Important! : 100% via this Google Drive view is going all the way in via the " + " and then backing out with " " - " by one.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6LPWv_uvvjpb1RPR2djd3otWUU

Spent the morning making breakfast and took the chance to try out pixel shift with a flash again.

This time an easy setup that I set the exposure time to 3s per frame and just pressed the remote trigger for the flash at each frame.
(the previous shot of the German helmet, I used a Q7 in interval shooting mode to trigger the flash in sync with each pixel shift exposure of the K1)

IMGP7180-1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
K1+M85/2

This time, it seems that RT masks off movement properly in automatic setting (ie. does not mask anything since there is no movement).
The helmet shot was done at night in the dark with little ambient contribution except for maybe light spill from the street or other parts of the house), this one is in a room with curtains drawn.
Maybe that less consistent light spill confuses RT in auto mode or maybe its flickring from my bike light that I used for the bkgnd....
Lots to try out on this in a future attempt.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6LPWv_uvvjpdXMtUU0wNXZ5MU0

Sharing how RT works with pixel shift (PixS)

Access the pictures via selecting the directory (as any other software)
I've found that as long as the directory is not choke full of files, RT works fast, so I will split files into a few folders to keep things going fast.

For PixS files, the Demosaicing tab is where we can select the algo used (so select "pixelshift" as shown here)

RT-pixel shift tab 1 by jenkwang, on Flickr
I've found that leaving Motion Correction as Automatic often works very well with v5 of RT (it was less so on the v4 PixS branch of the software)
There is a Show Motion checkbox that is checked to show what the program thinks needs to be masked (ie. it will use only 1 layer for those parts)

I'm tending towards just leaving on Auto, checking that the mask is not masking off too much and thats the end of it wrt me doing any PixS actions. (because v5 on auto works well in most cases)

Selecting "Custom" opens up all the masking options.

RT-pixel shift tab 2 by jenkwang, on Flickr
As you can see, there are loads of options. (but I am finding less need to use them since v5)

Forum user "heckflosse" who works on the RT gave very good info on them here :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/324925-pixel-shifted-images-21.html#post3917471

"Currently the 3x3 new (we should find a better name for it, I just chose this name because it was new at that time) is the way to go for motion correction in rt imho. It's the only method which allows the options 'Fill Holes', 'Blur' and 'smooth transitions'. For pixel shift images without motion it may be better to choose 'Motion correction off' and for images with very little motion you should try to disable 'check red/blue cross' to get as much details as possible"

If you have LR or can get hold of the camera profiles, it can be used by RT.
This is the tab to do it (under Color Management ) :

RT-Loading Camera Profiles by jenkwang, on Flickr

Similarly, LR Lens Profiles can be loaded here:

RT-Loading Lens Profiles by jenkwang, on Flickr

You can save all the settings as Custom Profiles, so that you load them with all the settings that you want at a click.
For Example,
I'd often use a custom profile set as "Pixel Shift -Landscape -auto" - which has the Pentax "Landscape" color profile, Pixel Shift, custom curve/sharpening/other adj

BTW, if anyone feels that they have benefited on the info here... (don't worry, not asking for $$ :D )
Do give some 'payment' in the form of more active participation on the forums or even better, post some of your pixel shift shots here and discuss!
TIA

I downloading all the files now....RT V5.0 Anw this apps can use for normal RAW process or just specially make for Pixel Shift? thx JK

I downloading all the files now....RT V5.0 Anw this apps can use for normal RAW process or just specially make for Pixel Shift? thx JK

:cool:

Its a RAW processor like LR, PDCU, etc, so it works for RAW a d RAW with pixel shift

Tq Jk...still DL....is it time consuming...haha...7 zips files

7 zip files? We need all to work? I only downloaded one zip file?

7 zip files? We need all to work? I only downloaded one zip file?

i dont know leh....i click the link and it show 7 files inside.....siao liao

i ended the dl liao...so which files?

Its only the one that has "pixel shift" on the file name. :D
Here :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2q9OrgyDEfPbGxuZ0xxWGowaXM

If there is enough interest, I can do a demo on how to use the program (basics only).

But there will be a 'cost' for those attending. ;)

"Cost" = post photos and participation in the Pentax section (1 yr contract) :D

Now... this problem should present itself on pixel shifted images independent of the software used.
In this case, the good thing is that Raw Therapee allows the viewing of the mask used on the image and we can check what has been determined as using only the first image.

The "Green" area is what is masked (ie. using only the first frame of the 4 frame pixel shift shot)

Pixel Shift over masked due to changing light by jenkwang, on Flickr

This is a window light shot on a windy and cloudy day, the light levels changed a lot when I did the shot, initially from bright sunlight to dull light by the time I got and setup the camera for the shot.
My first suspicion of why it happened was that the light levels changed.

Thanks to heckflosse on Pentax Forums and part of the RT team, who gave the following information to check what went wrong and a solution.

RT-pixel shift tab 1 -circled by jenkwang, on Flickr

To look over each frame of the pixel shift and check, do the following :
1. Switch to Amaze (circled orange)
2. Set profile to "Neutral" - this removes any auto brightness for the image

Now look over the image to check them for differences in light levels (the histogram can also provide a good indicator)

So in this case, there was indeed a change in light levels between frames.
Frames 1,2 were about the same and 3,4 where different from the two, but similar in exposure between themselves.
With this, I realized that it was indeed the fast moving clouds moved across the Sun that fluctuated the light levels between frames. (I had though the 4 frames would be fast enough to not have it register on the images)

Heckflosse was able to equalize the exposure of the frames and here is before/after masking results :

ps_flash_motionmask by jenkwang, on Flickr

I'd assume the "exposure equalization" option will be available in a later build of RT. (the have daily builds AFAIK).

Last edited:
GREAT EFFORT, JK!

GREAT EFFORT, JK!

Thanks for the encouragement.

The new "exposure equalization" feature when its uploaded on the latest RT build will also take care of some of this 'over masking' that will be seen with landscapes/cityscapes taken when the light is changing between frames. (eg. rising/setting Sun), so its going to be a good improvement of the algo.

Woo hoo. do we need to delete the old one or it will auto patch over?

Install new one, make sure it works, then uninstall old one