The future of SmartMedia card

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoBoy

Apr 9, 2002
psychoboy.siaosiao.net
I understand the max capacity for these cards are 128MB each. what is going to happen in the future? now with camera having more pixel, faster speed, we will take more pictures, and pictures that need more storage space. Will there ever be a day that we see 256 or 512MB SmartMedia cards? or do you think that SmartMedia will just die off, leaving us no choice but to buy/upgrade?

Originally posted by PsychoBoy
I understand the max capacity for these cards are 128MB each. what is going to happen in the future? now with camera having more pixel, faster speed, we will take more pictures, and pictures that need more storage space. Will there ever be a day that we see 256 or 512MB SmartMedia cards? or do you think that SmartMedia will just die off, leaving us no choice but to buy/upgrade?

It's dead. Fuji and Olympus have already came up with the replacement. I believe it's called the xD or something.

Will there ever be a day that we see 256 or 512MB SmartMedia cards? or do you think that SmartMedia will just die off, leaving us no choice but to buy/upgrade?
The answers are no and yes, respectively. Olympus and Fuji already announced their shift to the xD card (a new proprietary storage format), but they've promised that their new cameras will support both xD and Smartmedia, at least during the transitional stage.

Having said that, Smartmedia cards will certainly continue to work with the cameras we already have, so no one's forcing you to "upgrade" as long as you stick with your current equipment. If and when you move on to a newer camera, you may as well buy some new memory cards anyway. :)

Herein lies our dilema on smartmedia cards.. to buy or not to buy more.. :D

Smartmedia is limited by design to 128Mb.

There is a feature on memory cards and the new xD format in the pullout of the October Professional Photographer. A relatively basic article but a really good summary of the situation.

With xD attaining storage limits of 8Gb, chances are that's the medium of the future.

what will happen to our camera that uses smartmedia? use till your card all die and declare it useless?

what will happen to our camera that uses smartmedia? use till your card all die and declare it useless?

I think the smartmedia will outlast the camera. ;)

What izzit with smartmedia dat make it less superior to other cards like CF, besides it's storage capacity?

Originally posted by Goondu

I think the smartmedia will outlast the camera. ;)

I agree , there is plenty of stock , and its not move that fast , i have one 128 megs card for 9 months now , with out problems at all , i do not get a second , so , if the most users think and act by my way , the cards will be in stock for many many years .. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.